Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 8, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #2,852 of 7,998
  anybody has gone through the pain of having the cable down the back of the neck to use ie800 around the ear? i kind of wanted to use them around the ear, for.. erm... stopping the cable noise?

I use them solely over-ears and down the back. But only the upper cable part, plugged into an aptX receiver that's clipped to the shirt collar behind my neck.

Which isn't a pain at all, but actually the most convenient and frustration-free way to wear these imo.

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #2,853 of 7,998

I use them solely over-ears and down the back. But only the upper cable part, plugged into an aptX receiver that's clipped to the shirt collar behind my neck.

Which isn't a pain at all, but actually the most convenient and frustration-free way to wear these imo.

so the sound changes? or the isolation? or the confort at the point where it enters the ear?

i am so used to wearing iems over the ear after owning ie8 for such a long time.

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #2,854 of 7,998
  so the sound changes? or the isolation? or the confort at the point where it enters the ear?

i am so used to wearing iems over the ear after owning ie8 for such a long time.

Same for me. I wished Sennheiser had kept the IE8's ergonomics and cable and just changed the driver.

Sound and isolation are hardly affected. But ime the wireless IE800 / aptX receiver combo is supremely comfortable and has zero microphonics.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #2,855 of 7,998
To this day I could not listen to them for more than 20 minutes as it just wouldn't stay in my ear.

Time to accept the fact and sale them. I can't just belive I would ever have a fit issue from a company this prestigious.

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #2,856 of 7,998
I currently have the SE846 in my possession and recently have began wondering whether the IE800s might be a better fit for me. I listen mostly to soft-rock, pop, rap, hip-hop and J-pop.

I've heard that the IE800s have a soundstage that blows all other IEMs out of the water, but does it sacrifice sound clarity and quality in the process? How do its sub-bass, bass, mids, and highs compare to the SE846s?

Can anyone here that has had experience with both IEMs provide some input?

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #2,857 of 7,998

I currently have the SE846 in my possession and recently have began wondering whether the IE800s might be a better fit for me. I listen mostly to soft-rock, pop, rap, hip-hop and J-pop.

I've heard that the IE800s have a soundstage that blows all other IEMs out of the water, but does it sacrifice sound clarity and quality in the process? How do its sub-bass, bass, mids, and highs compare to the SE846s?

I'll answer first two with confidence. Its soundstage does not blow all others out of the water. Who ever said that?!!

Secondly, 800s clarity is one of its greatest strengths.

I own both IEMs. Nothing blows anything else out of the water. That is plain daft over the top reporting. Both cracking products.

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #2,858 of 7,998

I have already.....wrote up on both sometime back in the thread I've ran both balanced and unbalanced using AK240 .......Go back if you like and give them a read ....I still have the SE846....sold both pair of iE800....they're very nice but I prefere the 8s a little more .....the sub bass is very real....and not intrusive at all....:relieved:

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #2,859 of 7,998
I'll answer first two with confidence. Its soundstage does not blow all others out of the water. Who ever said that?!!

Secondly, 800s clarity is one of its greatest strengths.

I own both IEMs. Nothing blows anything else out of the water. That is plain daft over the top reporting. Both cracking products.

How far above is the clarity of the 800s in comparison to the SE846s? Which, in your opinion, is the superior IEM?

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,860 of 7,998

How far above is the clarity of the 800s in comparison to the SE846s? Which, in your opinion, is the superior IEM?

846 has more detailed mids, but ie800s lesser upper bass makes all frequencies seem so clear. 800s more comfortable lying down (I like in bed!) but 846s great lowest bass.

I couldn't decide when I auditioned them, bought one and started saving for other. Wouldn't be without either now I have both. Class products.
If you are not happy with 846, not sure you will think ie800 fantastic. They are not worlds apart in my view.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #2,861 of 7,998

846 has more detailed mids, but ie800s lesser upper bass makes all frequencies seem so clear. 800s more comfortable lying down (I like in bed!) but 846s great lowest bass.

I couldn't decide when I auditioned them, bought one and started saving for other. Wouldn't be without either now I have both. Class products.
If you are not happy with 846, not sure you will think ie800 fantastic. They are not worlds apart in my view.

I'm experimenting with EQing the SE846 (especially with the upper treble, in order to compensate for the treble roll-off).

So far, so good. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #2,862 of 7,998

I'm experimenting with EQing the SE846 (especially with the upper treble, in order to compensate for the trouble roll-off).

So far, so good. 

Personally, I hear no treble roll-off, and find similar top end to IE800s. Maybe my hearing is going with age!  My Westone W40s now,  they have less crisp top end. You using white filters I take it?

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,864 of 7,998

Yeah. I think it's just me. O.o   

Frequency response graphs of the 846 clearly show a treble roll-off. It's not hard to hear if you don't have hearing damage. The ie800 has much better extension.

Oh, and I've heard both and would take the ie800 every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back