Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #2,821 of 7,998
My SE530 does NOT have replaceable cables.  The newer model SE535 does have replaceable cables.

My old IE800 (S/N 08340) is still supple like the day I bought it, no stiffness, no problems whatsoever.

Ahhhh ok that's why I asked wasn't sure exactly......well after multi pairs of top tier IEMs with cable issues don't think I'll ever get another top IEMS without replaceable cables ....just makes sense for IEMS costing close too 1K if not more for some......it's not a killer amount for what one gets but when you add multiple sets of top tier IEMs it adds into the thousands.....:yum:

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #2,822 of 7,998
so.. how should i be able to know before buying if this strange phenomenon is going to happen to me iems?...

you cannot bend them or anything, i mean, how stiff are they?..

anyone suspects that sennheiser used some very very rare secret and dangerous material?..

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #2,824 of 7,998

There's probably no way to know it beforehand. Cable hardening is often the result of exposure to skin oils and sweat, the chemical composition of which varies from person to person.

i thought that it was because of it contained inside it, like some small fibers that break, and the stuff in them spills and hardens. it seems much more realistic, considering the thick plastic that is over the green thingys.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #2,825 of 7,998
i thought that it was because of it contained inside it, like some small fibers that break, and the stuff in them spills and hardens.

You mean like delicious candy is inside?

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2,827 of 7,998

There's probably no way to know it beforehand. Cable hardening is often the result of exposure to skin oils and sweat, the chemical composition of which varies from person to person.

+ 1 on the explanation but the question is, why is the right cable impervious and the left cable susceptible?

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #2,830 of 7,998

I originally think cable hardening is probably because of sweating etc. But I simply do not use my ie800 very frequent as I have other iems, and then major use in indoor, and then I am not "oily" at all. But still after 4 months it hardened. I am quite sure it is not due to sweating or so. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #2,831 of 7,998

+1

My serial is in the 8000s and my cable is even softer than the day I got it. It's supple/flexible as it can be after eight months.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #2,835 of 7,998
this is... why?

someone modded them to change the cables, yet the cables are still not changeable, they remain atached, even if they are new, you have to live with them...

pardon me, i wanted to say i would had liked them to have interchangeable cables modding. to let me choose whatever cable i choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back