Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Dec 22, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #7,321 of 7,998
Dec 26, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #7,322 of 7,998
Nice to have a day or two to relax….but instead of reaching for my usual HD800S’s and the Bryston BHA-1 I when I’m at home I found myself unexpectedly chilling out to Igor Stravinsky conducting his “Petroushka and Le Sacre du Printemps”
Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 9.01.05 AM.png
followed up with Dead Can Dance’s live offering “Toward the Within”
Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 9.27.04 AM.png
with the ie800 and FiiO X3II. Normally this combo is reserved for when I’m out and about with some EDM or something similar to compete with the outdoor ambient noise….but when used in a much tamer environment I really got to appreciate the ability to bring forth the finer nuances of the recordings with the usual wonderful dynamics.Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 9.28.34 AM.png

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #7,323 of 7,998
I love Dead Can Dance and have most if not all of their albums. Great stuff! Also, Lisa Gerrard from DCD has a few albums that are definitely worth checking out.

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #7,324 of 7,998
I decided to go crazy and put HiFiMAN RE-400/600 filters on both the ear tips and the in-ears themselves. Totally different beast - I recommend this to anybody. It's a cheap, reversible mod, and you can buy the filters on eBay.

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #7,325 of 7,998
I decided to go crazy and put HiFiMAN RE-400/600 filters on both the ear tips and the in-ears themselves. Totally different beast - I recommend this to anybody. It's a cheap, reversible mod, and you can buy the filters on eBay.

I don't think you understand, I do not want any more filters on ie800, that is the least thing I would ever do to this amazing IEM

There are many IEMs out there, for each signature taste, ie800 is perfect the way it is :smile_phones:

Joking aside, I do feel that you can have more granular control using EQ than physical filtering

Jan 12, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #7,326 of 7,998
I don't think you understand, I do not want any more filters on ie800, that is the least thing I would ever do to this amazing IEM

There are many IEMs out there, for each signature taste, ie800 is perfect the way it is :smile_phones:

Joking aside, I do feel that you can have more granular control using EQ than physical filtering
Indeed, but system wide EQs aren't flexible on my mobile sources.

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #7,327 of 7,998
my experience with ie800 just to tame the splashy treble sometimes use the comfly foam tips and everything becomes amazing, also comfort increases

btw guys I wanted to get a over ear headphones but with same sound signature as ie800...van anyone recommend any option for me pls ?
I feel the beyer dt770pro80 ohm has very similar signature to ie800. V shape, huge sub bass, substantial treble, wide soundstage. Ie 800 may be more resolving though.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #7,329 of 7,998
I just received my ie800's yesterday. All I can say is wow !! I am hearing things in songs that I didn't know existed. I don't wish to argue with anyone, but I can't understand what all the fuss is about regarding the fit, treble and cable length, I don't have one single issue with anything. Fit is 100% perfect with stock Med tips. Cable length is 100% perfect, the cable on my current Sennheiser PXC-450 cable is waaaaay toooooo long, it gets caught on everything. Treble is 100% NOT bright or harsh, maybe some people are used to muddy, dull sounding iem's....? There are some microphonics, however I don't make a habit of touching the cable. I took my dog for a walk, no microphonics and the earphones stayed 100% perfect in my ears. Bass seems just right, obviously it's all dependant on the recording.

I previously owned Sure se530 (I believe) and they were very un-comfortable. These are so light and small, perfect !! Hopefully the cable hardening issue is solved, my serial # is 49xxx. I live in Canada. I am using the ie800's with FiiO X3ii paired with a Practical Devices XM5, plenty of power. The set-up sounds good to me. I'm sure there is better, but for now...... I am listening to MP3 44.1KHz/16 Bit via my iTune library from cd collection.

Just one pointer for inserting the tips:
1- with left arm, reach over your head and grab the top of your right ear and pull up on it
2- insert right tip while still pulling up on your right ear
3- hold right tip in place while you remove your left hand from your right ear
4- continue to hold right tip in place for a few seconds
5- same idea for left ear

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #7,330 of 7,998
I just received my ie800's yesterday. All I can say is wow !! .............
Fit is 100% perfect with stock Med tips. Cable length is 100% perfect, the cable on my current Sennheiser PXC-450 cable is waaaaay toooooo long,..............

First....welcome to head-fi...glad there's another user who finds the cable the perfect length...must be a Canadian thing... I also have the same pairing with a Fiio X3II......
Haven't taken mine out on some of those -20C wind-chilled days tho...thinking that if anything would cause my ears to freeze and fall off would definitely make the cable dry out and loose its suppleness.... : )

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #7,331 of 7,998
I like the cable length too. But I am short :) longer iem cables tend to loop out of my pocket.

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #7,332 of 7,998
Good day!
I’m currently in a bind whether to replace my ie800 with a JH Audio Roxanne. If anyone has impresssions comparing these two, I’d love to hear them.
As a backgrounder, I also have a JH16 pro v1, so maybe a comparison to that would be nice as well.

Thanks for giving this post some attention! Your opinions will help me to decide which one/s to keep!

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #7,333 of 7,998
Good day!
I’m currently in a bind whether to replace my ie800 with a JH Audio Roxanne. If anyone has impresssions comparing these two, I’d love to hear them.
As a backgrounder, I also have a JH16 pro v1, so maybe a comparison to that would be nice as well.

Thanks for giving this post some attention! Your opinions will help me to decide which one/s to keep!

I have and still want to keep my IE800. I have also own the Angie II, UMM and Spartan’s CIEM but still fall in love with the SQ of IE800 every time I listen to them regardless their stiff cables and always fell off my ears...

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #7,334 of 7,998
I have and still want to keep my IE800. I have also own the Angie II, UMM and Spartan’s CIEM but still fall in love with the SQ of IE800 every time I listen to them regardless their stiff cables and always fell off my ears...

I think i'll feel the same. Nothing matches the airiness of these.
What do you think is the difference from the SQ of the ie800 vs something like the Angies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back