Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Oct 29, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #7,291 of 7,998

See my photo comparing size of cables in ie800S thread. Also more impressions there. Increased soundstage while keeping the nice clarity throughout the frequency range.

Thank you. For some reason, I hadn’t even thought about an IE 800S thread.

Nov 29, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #7,292 of 7,998
Thank you for whoever suggested Symbio tips for the IE800. I put on the wide-bore version (normal bore coming soon) and they stayed on well enough, although not as secure as the stock tips. However, much better than other tips. In my opinion, I heard an improvement in the sound. Not sure if it's a re-enforcement of the bottom or a smoothing out of the peaks, but the splash was gone while retaining all of the detail. I was hearing subtle cues in my reference tracks that I haven't heard before with the stock tips. I think the IE800 + HiFiMAN filters + Symbio tips is a real winner. I'll report back with my experience with the normal bore tips when they arrive.

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #7,293 of 7,998
Just got myself a pair of IE800's and my oh my are they breath-taking.

The detail is pretty amazing, soundstage mesmerising, and the bass is spot on.

However, the treble was a little too much for my tastes. I wonder of they'll calm down a little with some burn in...

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #7,294 of 7,998

However, the treble was a little too much for my tastes. I wonder of they'll calm down a little with some burn in...
Have you tried some Comply foam tips? They will tame the treble a little.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #7,295 of 7,998

Absolutely the high frequencies will smooth out on this dynamic driver design with increased playtime. I don’t recall how long it took for mine to settle, but my normal routine is to give 200 hours of play for transducers before making any final assessment, and 400 hours on digital gear.

Enjoy your new purchase!

Dec 10, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #7,296 of 7,998

The infamous treble will never go away.

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #7,298 of 7,998
I'm with you @Dobrescu George. I don't have an issue with my IE800's treble at all. I love it and all the sparkly detail it brings to making it an unique earphone.

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #7,299 of 7,998

No the treble does not change so don’t put them playing in a draw for 500 hours. Spend a couple weeks with em, try not to swap with other headphones and see if your brain grows to accept the treble. You might end up wishing you never complained about the treble at that point. :)

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #7,300 of 7,998
Dec 10, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #7,302 of 7,998
No the treble does not change so don’t put them playing in a draw for 500 hours. Spend a couple weeks with em, try not to swap with other headphones and see if your brain grows to accept the treble. You might end up wishing you never complained about the treble at that point. :)

Burn-in is an empirical phenomenon. I spent 26 years in High End Audio, both in the retail and manufacturer sectors, and went through hundreds of components that clearly changed in tonal character with extended play time. Many doubt this notion of extended play time improving performance, so this is just one of those concepts that will always have two sides.

The notion that the ears/brain adjust to the sound of a new component’s tonal character is the oft explained phenomena of why one perceives a change. This is a hypothesis, unproven.

Transducers—loudspeakers, headphones/dynamic driver IEMs, phono cartridges, etc.—break in in a mechanical sense since these items typically have a suspension system that loosen up with use, thereby changing the sound character. Electrical parts such as capacitors, especially the top dollar types, also change in character. Even cables that use a higher performance dialectic can change in sound with extended play time.

What we have here is the classic rational vs empirical argument. I tend to border the middle ground and keep an open mind, but on some issues I lean toward the latter side.

In my humble view, of course. :ksc75smile:

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #7,303 of 7,998
I’d like to point out there are many variables that can affect the sound; one of these variables is whether one’s IE 800 is real or not. There are lots of counterfeit versions on the market, especially on eBay. Buyer beware.

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #7,304 of 7,998
Burn-in is an empirical phenomenon. ... Even cables that use a higher performance dialectic can change in sound with extended play time.
Like some women manage to have an Immaculate Conception. Such as Mary did...
In my humble view, of course. :ksc75smile:
Of Course...

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #7,305 of 7,998
I put HiFiMAN RE filters on my IE800 and use Symbio tips, and I'd say it's "solved". You have all the clarity - and dare I say even more detail above the 10kHz spike - without that glare. Like, imagine the same detail without the pop that would wear you out.

This sounds like a complaint, but it's not. The IE800s are one of the most detailed headphones out there. Grados and the EX1000 are much more tiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back