Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
May 19, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #3,436 of 7,998
  George,

I'm surprised the warrantee is not transferrable.  That doesn't seem right unless it's country specific.  As far as the cable goes, if they won't be able to use the warrantee, then you can also try the route of doing a custom cable.  My IE800s will soon be expiring in warrantee and if I get that issue then I'd probably just get some aftermarket custom cables.  There are risks there of course.  I generally wouldn't take these to the gym though.  Taking a cheap wireless and water resistant pair to the gym would be my suggestion.  

It seems that the problem is only with one sennheiser representative from Romania, others were very nice to me after contacting them
biggrin.gif

I should really do as you say, i wonder who can do me a good custom cable, i think that in Romania i should be able to ask a custom in ear monitors company to do, but i still have high hopes that sennheiser might help even with post warranty, by at least, providing repairs or new ones for a little price... i really hope so.

I just received response from sennheiser, it seems that the problem of hardening cables has been totally solved some time ago.

now, i know that i would be buying an older version, which has the hardening problem, and probably i will have to send for replacements, but i am optimistic that everything will work out, now only if i would have the money to buy them...

May 19, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #3,437 of 7,998
Hi everyone - I absolutely love my IE800s!  Here's the rub:  no matter what IEMs I use or what tips I use with my IE800s (OEM, Comply, every other set I've tried... most of which don't fit even close to well enough to be usable), my inner ear and/or skull needs a rest after a few hours.  So I would love to find an over-ear headphone that satisfies the way the IE800s do (same sound quality/signature/etc) to give my inner ears a break on occasion while working in my office.  I bought the Senn HD650 two weeks ago for this purpose and only have about 60 hours on them, but so far, they don't even approach the IE800 in any way I can think of.

I would love to hear any recommendations on headphones that give the same ooh's and ah's across a wide range of genres as the IE800s.  (even if it's just "give the 650s more time and they'll get much closer")  My budget is up to $1k-ish U.S. for new headphones (but I'm willing to consider options a couple hundred beyond that, just really can't go beyond $1500, and I really cannot justify to my wife purchases of new DACs and/or amps, so I'm afraid the Senn HD800s may be out since they have a reputation for being extremely picky about the chain and have a lot of reviews that suggest they are on the bright side), and I'm flexible with either open or closed back; but on-ear headphones aren't comfortable for me, the over-ear seem to feel best.

My gear:
iBasso DX90 -> IE800 (on the go)
or iBasso DX90 -> Schiit Lyr2 (1966 Amperex Holland Bugle Boy tubes) -> IE800 (at work)
or Computer -> Schiit Bifrost Uber USB -> Schiit Lyr2 (same tubes) -> IE800 (at home)

Music preferences:
Everything but pop country and hard-core rap.  I honestly listen to everything else from jazz to old country, 90s Seattle grunge to folk, from heavy metal to classical, and from thumping house beats to chamber choirs.  Although I do tend to spend more time on jazz, folk, classical and jazzy pop like Sting because it's less intrusive during work hours.

Thank you for your time and for humoring a noob!

May 19, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #3,438 of 7,998
  Hi everyone - I absolutely love my IE800s!  Here's the rub:  no matter what IEMs I use or what tips I use with my IE800s (OEM, Comply, every other set I've tried... most of which don't fit even close to well enough to be usable), my inner ear and/or skull needs a rest after a few hours.  So I would love to find an over-ear headphone that satisfies the way the IE800s do (same sound quality/signature/etc) to give my inner ears a break on occasion while working in my office.  I bought the Senn HD650 two weeks ago for this purpose and only have about 60 hours on them, but so far, they don't even approach the IE800 in any way I can think of.

I would love to hear any recommendations on headphones that give the same ooh's and ah's across a wide range of genres as the IE800s.  (even if it's just "give the 650s more time and they'll get much closer")  My budget is up to $1k-ish U.S. for new headphones (but I'm willing to consider options a couple hundred beyond that, just really can't go beyond $1500, and I really cannot justify to my wife purchases of new DACs and/or amps, so I'm afraid the Senn HD800s may be out since they have a reputation for being extremely picky about the chain and have a lot of reviews that suggest they are on the bright side), and I'm flexible with either open or closed back; but on-ear headphones aren't comfortable for me, the over-ear seem to feel best.

My gear:
iBasso DX90 -> IE800 (on the go)
or iBasso DX90 -> Schiit Lyr2 (1966 Amperex Holland Bugle Boy tubes) -> IE800 (at work)
or Computer -> Schiit Bifrost Uber USB -> Schiit Lyr2 (same tubes) -> IE800 (at home)

Music preferences:
Everything but pop country and hard-core rap.  I honestly listen to everything else from jazz to old country, 90s Seattle grunge to folk, from heavy metal to classical, and from thumping house beats to chamber choirs.  Although I do tend to spend more time on jazz, folk, classical and jazzy pop like Sting because it's less intrusive during work hours.

Thank you for your time and for humoring a noob!

Ultrasone signature DJ, or if you want cheaper dj one pro from ultrasone. They share about the same signature as ie800. 

There are differences, mainly, ie800 has better separation between instruments, while ultrasone dj series have a larger soundstage, but the signature in general is extremely similar.

I would be happy with either (and i am planning to buy both ie800 and ultrasone dj signature)

May 20, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #3,441 of 7,998
  I'm confused... are these bright or are they dark? Some seem to find the treble harsh, offensive even, while others I know claim they are more like the 650s than the 800s for comparison. 

Have to try and listen to a pair.

People say the IE800 are dark?  I definitely think these are more bright than dark.  Most of the time though, I think words to describe earphones are largely useless.  Comparisons make more sense to me.  For people who have been listening to IEMs costing less than a couple hundred bucks, the resolution that the IE800 provides seems extreme at first.  But once you get used to it, everything else you listen to seems muffled.  I've tried display headphones and IEMs thinking I'd be lucky if I could score a pair of cheap ones which are at least coming close, but I've been grossly disappointed many times.  

Comparing the IE800 to the HD800 isn't even fair.  Different physical make up.  It'd be like comparing HD800 to a pair of speakers.  Or even bookshelf speakers to full range speakers.  It's not a fair play.  And impossible to compare, other than the HD800 is better than the IE800.  

May 20, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #3,443 of 7,998
  Comparing the IE800 to the HD800 isn't even fair.  Different physical make up.  It'd be like comparing HD800 to a pair of speakers.  Or even bookshelf speakers to full range speakers.  It's not a fair play.  And impossible to compare, other than the HD800 is better than the IE800.  

This is very subjective!

I agree that they are quite different things to compare, however, I certainly prefer the sound of the IE800 to that of the HD800 and would say that based on my preferences the IE800 is the better headphone.

May 20, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #3,444 of 7,998
Ie800 is not even similar to hd800. Though they were designed by the same person, or they have parts of the teams in common. 

Hd800 is a very extensive soundstage, with lots of treble, clear sound, deep bass, pretty linear, but a little U shaped sound.

Ie800 is a fun iem, very revealing, very clear, one of the best separation i had ever heared, with lots of treble and of bass. IT is neither dark nor bright, it is U or V shaped, how you want to name it. In one word, it sounds amazing!

May 20, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #3,445 of 7,998
Thank you George for your recommendation on the Ultrasone, I'm definitely going to try them (nor sure on which, the Sig or the Sig Pro, based on reviews it's difficult to assess which sounds closer to the IE800s... maybe that's an excuse to try both!).  I'm thinking I might also try the Fostex TH900s just for a broad comparison (now that they've come down in price quite a bit).  What are your (or anyone else's!) thoughts on the sound of the TH900s compared to the IE800s?  I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a boat-load of headphones and will be switching between them based on mood more than anything else, which just means I'm going to have to get used to sleeping on the couch after the WAF hits rock bottom.  Heh.

May 20, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #3,446 of 7,998
  Thank you George for your recommendation on the Ultrasone, I'm definitely going to try them (nor sure on which, the Sig or the Sig Pro, based on reviews it's difficult to assess which sounds closer to the IE800s... maybe that's an excuse to try both!).  I'm thinking I might also try the Fostex TH900s just for a broad comparison (now that they've come down in price quite a bit).  What are your (or anyone else's!) thoughts on the sound of the TH900s compared to the IE800s?  I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a boat-load of headphones and will be switching between them based on mood more than anything else, which just means I'm going to have to get used to sleeping on the couch after the WAF hits rock bottom.  Heh.

Th900 is pretty awesome!

But it is different.

Still, you might love that signature too! I say, if you try as many signatures as you can, you might discover two different signatures that you love, or even more!

Ie800 is quite unique.

May 20, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #3,448 of 7,998
They are bassy and bright but at the same time never sound muffled. I love the sound signature of the ie800 but found everytime I listen that the treble is indeed a little bit thin sounding. I saw an eq setting somewhere along this thread and has use it since. This is what I use with my x5.

May 20, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #3,449 of 7,998
How is u/v shaped a good thing?? I like my sound balanced, preferrably slightly dark/mellowed.

And while I dislike the HD 800, U-shaped it is not.

HD800 is U shaped in my view, and this is a good thing. It has a little more bass and treble than the rest of the spectrum.. Ie800 too, has a little more bass and treble than the rest of the spectrum..

I would rather have this, for listening at lower levels, it is a blessing, as human ear perceives less treble and bass than mids, the result is that you get a pretty linear response to the ear at low volumes

Well, i love that treble, it is not thin, but very airy!

May 20, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #3,450 of 7,998
This is very subjective!

I agree that they are quite different things to compare, however, I certainly prefer the sound of the IE800 to that of the HD800 and would say that based on my preferences the IE800 is the better headphone.

Of course it's subjective! It's my opinion LOL. For me while all speakers can produce the same highs (iems are restricted on the bass end), the soundstage is just not the same. It's just not a fair fight. for me it's not just about the sound signature but the sound stage.

And the main thing for me is that I would use the hd800 is better for home use. The cable is longer, easier for me to listen longer, better comfort. There is no way I walk around with it out in the streets too. Ie800 is much more portable. The short cable makes it unrealistic for me to listen with at home, though it sounds better still with my headphone amp at home vs portable ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back