Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
May 21, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #3,451 of 7,998
Hi guys, It had been a while I upgrade my earphone. I had been trying to prevent myself from visiting equipment forum (it is hard). But, since the cable of my really old iem broke, I made an excuse to get anew iem instead of replacing the cable.

Among all of my collections, I like my sennheiser hd650, earsonics sm3 v1/v2 and yuin pk1. I know they are old and history now, I was doing a good job restrain myself from spending more on this hobby.

I have made some reading here and there, I am currently undecided between ie800 and akg k3003. Looking at my past collections, I am more like dark, warm, sweet, and lust mid type of guy. Right now I am leaning towards akg k3003, 40 on ie800 and 60 on akg k3003. The reason I am posting here is that from all the reading I think I will like the sound of ie800, but I read too much about bad sides of this iem. Bad cable design, microphonic, should be the main problem. Can anyone convinced me on this matter after certain time of usage? If you have try both, why would you choose one over another? I have no access to them from where I am staying currently, so this would be really helpful.

May 21, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #3,452 of 7,998
Hi guys, It had been a while I upgrade my earphone. I had been trying to prevent myself from visiting equipment forum (it is hard). But, since the cable of my really old iem broke, I made an excuse to get anew iem instead of replacing the cable.

Among all of my collections, I like my sennheiser hd650, earsonics sm3 v1/v2 and yuin pk1. I know they are old and history now, I was doing a good job restrain myself from spending more on this hobby.

I have made some reading here and there, I am currently undecided between ie800 and akg k3003. Looking at my past collections, I am more like dark, warm, sweet, and lust mid type of guy. Right now I am leaning towards akg k3003, 40 on ie800 and 60 on akg k3003. The reason I am posting here is that from all the reading I think I will like the sound of ie800, but I read too much about bad sides of this iem. Bad cable design, microphonic, should be the main problem. Can anyone convinced me on this matter after certain time of usage? If you have try both, why would you choose one over another? I have no access to them from where I am staying currently, so this would be really helpful.

Well... ie800 has a microphonic cable, no joke, but it is manageble to live with it. You only need a clip shirt, or to wear it over the ear.  

The cable design is not bad, the problems have been repaired by sennheiser.

(considering the prices of both, you should really listen to both before deciding to buy).

I would say that chosing between them is a matter of choosing betwen two very fine iems that are both extremely good.

May 21, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #3,453 of 7,998

While I've never heard the k3003, I've had my ie800 now for a few months, and I also have the hd650.  I've been a bit disappointed with the ie800's cable length, which I feel is too short, and it is microphonic.  I addressed the microphonic problem by simply adding a little cable clip (it's stupid that the ie800 didn't come with one), which helped a lot and now I don't notice it.  I also have a little trouble getting the tips to stay in my ear canal if I move around too much or am eating.  But here's the funny part:  they sound sooooo good to me that the only way I'm giving them up is if they fall out of my cold dead ears!  They're really are worth every penny in spite of the issues.  IMO, they sound exactly like you describe you want your new earbuds to sound, although I admit it took about 48 hours of letting them play by themselves before they came alive and didn't sound harsh anymore.  Now, they sound lush, detailed, impactful, and wonderful on almost every genre and album I have (which is a lot).  They do make bad recordings or MP3 compression pretty obvious though, so I reripped my music to FLAC and wow... just wow...  :)  My HD650s don't get any playing time at all... there's just no comparison to me when it comes to the pure joy of listening.  I hope this helps.

May 21, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #3,454 of 7,998
Well... ie800 has a microphonic cable, no joke, but it is manageble to live with it. You only need a clip shirt, or to wear it over the ear.  

The cable design is not bad, the problems have been repaired by sennheiser.

(considering the prices of both, you should really listen to both before deciding to buy).

I would say that chosing between them is a matter of choosing betwen two very fine iems that are both extremely good.

I really hope I am able to try both of them on too. But I am not able to. The closest place I can try is 3 hours drive from my place, but they only carry ie800, not the akg in stock.

Well, the clip is kinda smart idea, I never think of that. That clears one of my doubt. I read about the hardening issue on the cable in the previous posts, did you mean they fixed that issue?

May 21, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #3,455 of 7,998
While I've never heard the k3003, I've had my ie800 now for a few months, and I also have the hd650.  I've been a bit disappointed with the ie800's cable length, which I feel is too short, and it is microphonic.  I addressed the microphonic problem by simply adding a little cable clip (it's stupid that the ie800 didn't come with one), which helped a lot and now I don't notice it.  I also have a little trouble getting the tips to stay in my ear canal if I move around too much or am eating.  But here's the funny part:  they sound sooooo good to me that the only way I'm giving them up is if they fall out of my cold dead ears!  They're really are worth every penny in spite of the issues.  IMO, they sound exactly like you describe you want your new earbuds to sound, although I admit it took about 48 hours of letting them play by themselves before they came alive and didn't sound harsh anymore.  Now, they sound lush, detailed, impactful, and wonderful on almost every genre and album I have (which is a lot).  They do make bad recordings or MP3 compression pretty obvious though, so I reripped my music to FLAC and wow... just wow...  :)  My HD650s don't get any playing time at all... there's just no comparison to me when it comes to the pure joy of listening.  I hope this helps.

The sound signature is exactly why I am posting here instead of akg thread. Hold on a second, are you saying that ie800 is more enjoyable compared to he 650?:blink:

May 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #3,457 of 7,998
The sound signature is exactly why I am posting here instead of akg thread. Hold on a second, are you saying that ie800 is more enjoyable compared to he 650?
blink.gif

Yep, the sound signature is so much more "rich" sounding to me on the ie800s, more engaging and musical too (sorry, I'm not knowledgeable on the audiophile terminology, or I'd be more specific).  Although, I have to admit two things to be fair:  I've only got about 80 hours on the hd650s so far, and my hearing is about as good as Helen Keller's.  I'm going to keep playing them in the other room and checking them periodically in the hopes that it does improve, but I'm skeptical that it can change very much from here.  Meanwhile my hearing is only getting worse! 
wink.gif

May 21, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #3,458 of 7,998
Th900 is pretty awesome!

But it is different.

Still, you might love that signature too! I say, if you try as many signatures as you can, you might discover two different signatures that you love, or even more!

Ie800 is quite unique.

Hey George, you weren't kidding... the new Fostex TH900 just arrived (the Ultrasone hasn't) and they're incredible!  Right out of the box, it is exactly what I was looking for to compliment my IE800.  Some might think that sounds like an odd thing to say, but switching between the IE800 and the TH900 is - well I can't say seamless, you're also right about them being different - but my ears and brain don't get disappointed by the change like they do when switching to the HD650.  There's definitely more "passion" in these TH900s in a similar way to the IE800s.  I'll leave the rest for the TH900 page so I don't derail this thread.  Thanks for the advice!

May 21, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3,459 of 7,998

Hey George, you weren't kidding... the new Fostex TH900 just arrived (the Ultrasone hasn't) and they're incredible!  Right out of the box, it is exactly what I was looking for to compliment my IE800.  Some might think that sounds like an odd thing to say, but switching between the IE800 and the TH900 is - well I can't say seamless, you're also right about them being different - but my ears and brain don't get disappointed by the change like they do when switching to the HD650.  There's definitely more "passion" in these TH900s in a similar way to the IE800s.  I'll leave the rest for the TH900 page so I don't derail this thread.  Thanks for the advice!

IT is not a problem to derail the thread...

Th900 is an awesome headphone, and indeed, it is very resolving.

I loved hd650 for the relaxing sound they have and for the fact that you can listen for hours, but most of times i would really listen to more engaging headphones/iems, like ie800, ultrasone dj series, th900. Hd650 is enjoyable specially with downtempo music, and classical, but even there i preffer to hear all that treble, i love hearing all fine details in music.
I have read that the akg treble is way more harsh then the ie800.. Is this true?

Harsh>?... it is a matter of taste AND ears... 

Akg has a different signature, much different, it tries to be neutral, so the treble might not be harsh, but the bass being more linear, it you hear more treble.

There is no such thing as harsh treble for me though, i add +6DB of treble to Ultrasone anyways, so i love harsh treble. Akg is a champion there, but i also love bass, so most of times i would rather have an iem that is not linear in bass, but has bass emphasis.

I really hope I am able to try both of them on too. But I am not able to. The closest place I can try is 3 hours drive from my place, but they only carry ie800, not the akg in stock.

Well, the clip is kinda smart idea, I never think of that. That clears one of my doubt. I read about the hardening issue on the cable in the previous posts, did you mean they fixed that issue?

They totally fixed the cable hardening issue!

This is great!

Though, it was a problem only on some batches, now it is solved, so no worries there. 

I think that it is a matter of taste, akg is much more linear, it has less bass for sounding linear, where ie800 has more bass.

Each is good for a category, i am a basshead so i like having more bass!

EDIT::: i wanted to ask the people who own ie800, if anyone has managed to get the cables changed to some replaceable ones, and if yes, was there any difference in SQ?

May 21, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #3,460 of 7,998
George, i had the 2.5 connector changed from trs to trrs and used alo sxc 24 from there to the plug. Balanced was better in terms of separation, detail and soundstage though ymmv. I don't regret having it changed. Though the ie800 hasn't been getting time due to new toys, its in my pack that i bring in case i feel like ussing it.

May 22, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #3,462 of 7,998

K3003 is not that kind of sound

it is an amazing iem , very balanced/musical/detailed but not dark or warm.

so you should not go for it if you want something dark/warm.

people say it sounds like a baby HD800 iem-style , so again i don't think it will fit your preference.

May 22, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #3,463 of 7,998

people say it sounds like a baby HD800 iem-style , so again i don't think it will fit your preference.

HY! how are things, @proedros ?

I was wondering if you remained at akg k3003 and was happy ever after? I lost interest in k3003, not due to sound, as i was more and more interested in the SQ, but i was avoiding needing to pay so much, they are very expensive...

May 23, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #3,464 of 7,998

thanks for the input. That could be the reason I posted here getting people to drag me away from the decision, for ie800 has better sub bass compared to the akg. (from what i read anyway) Do you suffer from listening fatigue listen to the akg? I used to own a tripe.fi 10, that was many years ago. From that, I don't like the sparkle bright of sound, thus making me move to darker earphones. Balanced and neutrality could be entirely different. 

May 23, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #3,465 of 7,998
  HY! how are things, @proedros ?

I was wondering if you remained at akg k3003 and was happy ever after? I lost interest in k3003, not due to sound, as i was more and more interested in the SQ, but i was avoiding needing to pay so much, they are very expensive...

Thing is that, the price here for both akg k3003 (grey imported) and ie800 (local warranty) has not much price of difference. That's why I am still considering both. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back