Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
May 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #3,421 of 7,998
  Lost my large ear silicon tip a couple weeks back so I've been only listening to the 846's, IE800's are terrible without a good seal.  Today on Taobao I finally found people selling OEM IE800 replacement tips for cheap, thank god.

I honestly think this this one of the worst design decisions ever for Sennheiser.  Ugh, how the hell can you make the tips stay on so loose for something that's USED ON THE GO, and then make it even worse by making the tips propriety, What!!

Where did you find OEM IE800 replacement tips for cheap, pls share the link. It will be handy to have few extras

May 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #3,422 of 7,998
Have you already auditioned the IE 800?
Yes, they are overpricedm but (at least imho) not way too expensive for what you get out of a dynamic transducer.
Especially with rather fast music you should definitely be able to hear the much tighter bass and better resolution. The IE 80's bass is bloated, slow and loose in comparison.
Though, I'd say that the IE 80 has got the imperior (holographic) imaging, albeit the IE 800 has got the better instrument separation.
I did and they are impressive but for my money I take the IE80 anytime, as they are ressonable priced in Germany and hassle free.

May 15, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #3,424 of 7,998
I did and they are impressive but for my money I take the IE80 anytime, as they are ressonable priced in Germany and hassle free.

Depending on the dealer, you can get a pretty nice discount. Though it is said that the authorized dealers (afaIk there aren't even unauthorized ones) in Germany aren't allowed to give discount, some of them still do, you just have to ask.
But I agree with you, it is more likely that there will be issues with the IE 800 than with the IE 80.

May 15, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3,426 of 7,998
I didn`t even buy mine from an authorized dealer, and when I took them into the Sennheiser repair centre they had only hardened slightly below the Y-split, but they just asked to see the receipt, checked the authenticity and gave me a completely new set then and there, I`m very impressed. That being said my replacement model was actually of an earlier batch but they have yet to harden yet after about 3 months, my last pair had noticeable hardening after 6 months so I guess I`ll just wait it out. 

May 16, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #3,428 of 7,998
Psychoacoustics... Nice.

I'd say this is one of the most stressful times in recent memory and now that you mention it, I am also sleep deprived. Taking a break sounds like it might be a good idea.  If not now, soon. (might need the music to help me get through this hump.)  Ok, thanks on  the tip advice :)  (My DIY one won't seal without it deeper but will try with larger.)

Same as above. :)

Glad to get your feedback!

He, just thought I'd let you know I got my replacement tips from Sennheiser. It is exquisite again. I also tried the T200 Comply tips and it was definitely better and getting there, but nothing works as good for me as the Medium stock tips, not L or S though. I do think that stress was affecting it but the tips are clearly the biggest thing for me.

I really think that many people just dont have an optimum fit for their ear when they try it. It can be a phenomenal difference.

I'd also like to get 3rd party stock tips. They sent me just one pair even though the guy on the phone said 5. May have been a communication error, we'll see what the rep says.

May 18, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #3,429 of 7,998
I had a very..interesting..discussion with sennheiser Romania. They told me that there is no such thing as hardening cables for ie800, and it is not a known problem.

The message i sent to sennheiser germany is still without answer... 

I just want to buy a second hand ie800 and know how much would it cost in Romania to repair / replace them if the cable hardens, and the warranty is over. It seems that it is kind of hard for me to get a straight answer for this question. 

Sennheiser Romania told me that there is no way that they would replace ie800 if bought second hand without costs, and would not tell me what the costs are. Kind of a letdown, because i wanted to buy a pair from a fellow Romanian, and now it seems that neither Sennheiser Romania nor Sennheiser Germany would not tell me what to do if i buy, and the cable hardens

(this is a known problem, but sennheiser Romania told me that these are all lies, and the cables do not harden because of normal usage, but because of abuse...)

I wonder what to do about this?..

May 18, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #3,430 of 7,998
@Dobrescu George :

Sennheiser Germany only told me that "with all current IE 800 models, the cables can be used without any restrictions". My question whether the coating material has changed (and if, from which serial number on) hasn't been answered though I have asked multiple times, the same goes for if they were aware of the problem.
I feel like Sennheiser want to remain silent what I can comprehend as they want to prevent any image damage by confirming the well-known issue.

May 18, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #3,431 of 7,998
  @Dobrescu George :

Sennheiser Germany only told me that "with all current IE 800 models, the cables can be used without any restrictions". My question whether the coating material has changed (an if, from which serial number on) hasn't been answered though I have asked multiple times, the same goes for if they were aware of the problem.
I feel like Sennheiser want to remain silent what I can comprehend as they want to prevent any image damage by confirming the well-known issue.

I get it.

Maybe the cables are not sensitive to all types of sweat?

Then, i guess that i should buy a second hand ie800, and hope that if it hardens and it out of the warranty, sennheiser will help me replace it...

May 18, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #3,432 of 7,998
I get it.

Maybe the cables are not sensitive to all types of sweat?

Then, i guess that i should buy a second hand ie800, and hope that if it hardens and it out of the warranty, sennheiser will help me replace it...

George, great match with your X5. Even better with X5 Hugo!

May 18, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #3,434 of 7,998
IE800's and the Noble BTS

I have just received my Noble BTS with the specific goal of going wireless with my IE800's and I am pleased to report that this combination works superbly, enabling high quality bluetooth audio.

There are a number of posts around about the BTS so I won't go into great detail about the device, suffice to say that the thing that makes this unique to me is that its chipset will negotiate and use ALAC when connected to an iPhone.  APT-X is available too for non-Apple users.  This enables lossless bluetooth audio, even from an iPhone.

James444 posted about success with similar usage with an APT-X receiver way back near the start of this thread, but I think that this new option is even better given the ALAC support and Noble's engineering on the analogue output.

I use it with my IE800's via a cheap 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and then connect the top section of the IE800 cable to the BTS.
The BTS then clips neatly onto my shirt and I am freed from dangling wires and cable microphonics.

Sound quality is excellent and the BTS can drive the IE800's plenty loud enough for me.  Battery life is ca. 10 hours, it weighs almost nothing and it can be recharged via micro USB like pretty much every other device nowadays.

The end result looks like this:

Worth considering as one approach to reducing the cable challenges of the IE800!

May 19, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #3,435 of 7,998
George,

I'm surprised the warrantee is not transferrable.  That doesn't seem right unless it's country specific.  As far as the cable goes, if they won't be able to use the warrantee, then you can also try the route of doing a custom cable.  My IE800s will soon be expiring in warrantee and if I get that issue then I'd probably just get some aftermarket custom cables.  There are risks there of course.  I generally wouldn't take these to the gym though.  Taking a cheap wireless and water resistant pair to the gym would be my suggestion.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back