Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 25, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #3,046 of 7,998
  Arghhhh.... this is REALLY hard. I'm in love with both the SE846 and IE800. They both have their own unique qualities. Both are definitely TOTL IEMs. 

It's a shame that I have to get rid of one of them :'(

Time to continue listening...

Without wanting to confuse the issue too much by introducing yet another earphone to the mix, but have you thought about JHAudios new Angie?  I have spent two days listening to this list mainly - SE846, EarSonics S-EM6, IE800 and Angie.  I loved the lightness of touch and clarity of the IE800, but felt it lacked a little drive and punch for the music I listen to (piano, orchestral, acid jazz, funk, vocal jazz).  I wanted pianos especially to be a bit more fleshed out.  The SE846 I felt went too far the other way - mid-bass was much more pronounced, adding more bloom, but took away from the air of the midrange and I couldn't hear as easily the decay of the treble (high-hats, cymbals etc) which took away a little of the "right there in front of the musicians" feeling.

Don't get me started not the S-EM6 - muddy, thick, with a tonal presentation that suggested every vocalist was singing through their hand.  Maybe great for bass-heads who crank up the volume, but really not for me.

Which leaves Angie - lighter of touch than the SE846, less pronounced mid-bass, but has punch and drive still that supports a quite lovely midrange.  I think it gives a great balance between the Shure and the IE800 - so much so that I ended up buying the Angie.  It was the set of 'phones that really had be grinning and rocking along, which I suppose is the goal.  I forgot about the technical ability and enjoyed the music....

Anyway, just my $0.02

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #3,047 of 7,998
SOS!!!

I own and adore the IE800, my problem, I commute a lot and would really really like some custom IEM's. Problem is that I love the sound of the IE800.

With regards to budget, within reason, I don't really have one. I want as similar sounding custom IEM to the IE800 as possible. 

Note I am due to travel to Japan in the next few months, should this give me a saving opportunity. 

Anyone with advice, please chime in and help me out. 

Thank you in advance. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #3,048 of 7,998
  SOS!!!

I own and adore the IE800, my problem, I commute a lot and would really really like some custom IEM's. Problem is that I love the sound of the IE800.

With regards to budget, within reason, I don't really have one. I want as similar sounding custom IEM to the IE800 as possible. 

Note I am due to travel to Japan in the next few months, should this give me a saving opportunity. 

Thank you in advance. 

Hmm, the most honest answer is that no earphone sounds exactly like another. However, the Noble 6 is the one that I'd say is the closest, it's a 6 armature design. For a less bright, slightly fuller sound with a bass that reaches deeper, there's the Future Sonics MG5pro with a custom 10mm dynamic driver.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #3,049 of 7,998
  SOS!!!

Thank you in advance. 

send a pm to this guy - he owns ie800 and he seems to me like the guy here to ask on which customs to get - he is also a very nice guy and he has no hidden agendas with any iems so he will point you to the right one iem you need without any bias whatsoever

http://www.head-fi.org/u/127639/jelt2359

you can also check his amazing thread here , get some feedback yourself

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/71-iem-brief-review-thread-incl-rhine-monitors-cleartune-customart/240#post_11358334

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #3,051 of 7,998
iFi IDSD MICRO. 
Hands down . 

Furthermore its a good investment as it can power IEMs to HiFiman . 

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #3,052 of 7,998
  Can anyone recommend me a good amp + dac combo that would go well with the IE800s? I'd like to be able to listen to them from my computer, so I'm not really looking for a DAP.

I've tried the Nano, my friend owned one. I personally prefer the Meridian Exploer 2, feed it with a 5v linear supply such as the schiit wyrd and I don't think you'll be disappointed. I own Wilson Audio Sophia and I love the IE800 with these components. The output impedance of 0.47 works extremely well, Meridian have done a fantastic job. 

I would however, recommend you try as many possibilities as possible before committing. Buy from amazon, send back what you don't like. Job done. 

Note you're talking to someone who doesn't believe in hi-res, I down sample all 24/192 etc to 16/44, i've never heard a difference. People just like big numbers :wink: 

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #3,055 of 7,998
tested again, today. the soundstage was amazing, separation of instruments was amazing, clearly the best iem i had ever heared. i will buy them tomorrow. After thinking about this, ie800 are very under-rated. they achieve one of the best and most fun sounds ever made. soundstage is actually comparable from all points of view with ultrasone signature dj and ultrasone dj one pro, which is similar from the size and separation point of view with hd800 afterall. ie800 are an amazing iem!

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #3,056 of 7,998
I ended up returning these today. Don't get me wrong though. It wasn't because I was not satisfied with it by any means. It was either these or the HD800s, and the latter obviously blew these out of the water. I hate to see these go, but they are truly, from a technical standpoint superior to all IEMs I've tried so far. I recommend them to absolutely anyone who wants a comfortable, stylish, and above all, amazingly clear and natural sounding IEM. I'm really, REALLY sad to see these go. I fell in love with them from my first listen. :'(

Guess I'll see you guys around. :)

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #3,057 of 7,998
write a 5 star review for them then ! hahaha ! 

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #3,060 of 7,998
lots of amps. 

triode amps were not for me. my ears perceived the differences more as distortion than as good sound. In the end, everything that was solid state was much more my cup of tea. i liked the most chord hugo, fiio e12, and matrix m-stage hpa-2.

basically i tried hd800 with fiio e12 , matrix m-stage hpa-2, woo audio wa7 fireflies, woo audio wa6 se, sennheiser hdvd800, chord hugo.

hd800 were amazing at soundstage, details, and everything. but ie800 had a sweeter thing in mids, that really touched my music where i wanted it to. it is hard to explain in words. signature dj and ie800 share the same signature basically, and i preffered both to the signature of hd800, but hd800 is a great headphone, that i would also enjoy, it is just that for my tastes the other two are better. also, it might be because of music used, which was metal, and electronica. for my ears, symphonic was also better, but i can see much more people loving hd800 much more with classical.

all of the stated headphones and amps were great, and owners should feel very happy with all of them! My pure subjective opinion returned different than most, but i am still considering hd800 a wonder of technology and engeneering, as well as all the amps and headphones i had tested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back