Sennheiser IE8 + Sony Hybrid
Jul 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

j57park

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I have a question regarding use of sony hybrid tips on the ie8.

I notice that it's pretty difficult to put them on - certainly more so than the sennheiser supplied tips.

After putting it on, I notice that the hybrid tips stretch in order to fit the nozzle so it bulges out (just the part that goes into the ie8 nozzle in sphere shape). I'm wondering if this will cause the nozzle to weaken and break off. I read somewhere how a person tried to force a comply tips onto the ie8 and the nozzle came off. I realize that the comply has a clear plastic center which will be a lot harder than the silicone in the sony hybrid but was wondering if there was a chance that the stretched hybrid will destroy the ie8 nozzle. 

If anyone has more insights, please let me know =]

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 5
I use sony hybrids on my IE8 and yeah it's a tight fit and bulges as you describe. Personally, I'm not worried about the nozzle breaking - it seems pretty rock solid! I think the biggest concern is when you're first installing it. Just do it gently and slowy twist the tip on instead of pushing or forcing it on. Once it's on there, I don't think the nozzle would break off because of the tightness of the tip. Sennheiser's build quality is top-notch plus their warranty service is quite good.

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 5
I am now trying the Sony Hybrids on my IE8 and they are harder for me to put on then the Comply.

I do recommend that you try to be careful and figure out a "method" or "technique" to put them on.  Because the hybrids have a latex sound-tube, it was harder to get it to stretch over the nozzle.  That means that it is easy to want to put a lot of pressure on the nozzle to "pull" the hybrid over it.

Try to come up with a good way to get them on and then post it!

Good Luck!

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 5
I know this method is so stupid but what I did was I took a chopstick (or any stick with circumference a little bit bigger than the IE8 nozzle) and put the hybrid on that for few days. You can force it in because the hybrid tips themselves seem really strong.

I left it like that for about 4 days, then took it out and put it on the IE8 and it goes in much easier than before, almost no force needed, just twisting as first poster said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back