Sennheiser IE8 or Grado GR8???
Oct 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

andre56

Head-Fier
Hi all, I am currently looking for a new pair of IEM's after going through a few in the past weeks. My RE0's broke so I got IE7's and loved them. However I was forced to sell them for one reason. The design of the casing meant that the pointed part dug into my ear whenever I wore them and it would be very uncomfortable after a while. After reading good things about them I went for some Pro Coppers but they were fakes so another one sent back. Now I am looking at getting either the IE8's or GR8's. They are both available to me for around the same price. I did love the IE7's so I'm thinking the IE8's may be the better choice and also I would describe my sound preference as the sennheiser sound, warm mids, impacting bass, wide soundstage however I have read some very good reviews on the GR8's. I'm wondering how they compare to the IE8's? I like a very warm sound signature nothing too harsh, I liked the RE0's but they were too harsh on the ear for me. Also I like tight and impacting bass but not so much quantity that you can't hear anything else. Highs I'm probably bothered about least but I do like clear but warm highs nothing too trebly if that's a word. Also soundstageI prefer to be wider. Lastly in terms of comfort which would you say is best? The IE8's look a better shape than the IE7's but I've heard the grado's are very comfortable.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 20
Have you heard of any of this before?Radius DDM. I prefer them over IE8.  They are cheaper and sound quite amazing. (read review about the Fit some people had with them).
Also, instead of Grado GR8, I can suggest to look into Ortofon e-Q7 or FAD A1
I have personally possessed  all above mentioned IEMs, except FAD A1.
This last one is quite new, just came out in Japan and are very interesting , according to few reviews out there, A1 have amazing bass (low frequencies) and offer nice and smooth well extended treble.

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 20
Thanks for the suggestions but I'm in UK where all these brands don't seem to sell their products. The radius DMM and the A1 I cant find here and the e-Q7's I found in 1 place for £200. The other two I was looking at were both around £130. I would prefer not to have to order from US but if it's really worth it I would consider it.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 20
I'm waiting to see some replies as i'm interested too
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 20
I think a lot will depend on what kind of music you mostly like, if you compare ie8 and gr8 my personal cjoice would be IE8, with adjustable bass you can be more flexible

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 20
I'm leaning towards the IE8's at the moment, only problem is there are so many fakes going round it's hard to tell which are genuine before you've bought them.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions but I'm in UK where all these brands don't seem to sell their products. The radius DMM and the A1 I cant find here and the e-Q7's I found in 1 place for £200. The other two I was looking at were both around £130. I would prefer not to have to order from US but if it's really worth it I would consider it.

Radius DDM is sold in UK at iheadphones.co.uk for around £130
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=2

The e-Q7 is also sold in UK from the same store for under 200.
I do not know about A1, perhaps they will sell them as well. You may want to inquiry.
What is your price range? 130£?

Just read here there are many fakes IE8 out there. Usually IE8 worth around 200£ or so.
Watch you for fakes...

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 20
Oh thanks, I looked on iHeadphones but I didn't come across them. They're actually going for £119.99. The IE8's I found are £129.99 but on ebay and I'm not sure if they're genuine. At least I know the DDM's are definitely genuine. The e-Q7's are £189.99 can't find cheaper than that. These are the IE8's http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150503150019&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154. As for my budget around £120-130 I'm thinking, no higher, £100 would be nice but £120 is a good budget I think. As for Radius vs IE8 what would you say I need to know. Do the radius' have a similar sound signature? 

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 20
Since your previous experience involve fit problems I would suggest you steer clear from the radius. My experience with them were horrid mostly due to their monstrous fit which makes me wonder if their designer has ever seen a human ear. As for the e-Q7, they are nothing short of excellent but they do provide a very different sound signature as compared to your previous sennheiser. They are mid centric earphones and they do have very light bass impact so unless you do not mind trying out something new or paying over £180 you might want to rethink that option as well unless you have the chance to try them out. Since you enjoyed the ie7 I think you will feel more at home with the ie8.

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 20
Yeah I was worried about that. I don't want to have to use an amp. I was definitely concerned about fit when I saw DDM's, they don't look like they're meant for the human ear. I'm still thinking but it keeps coming back to the IE8's I think they would be the best choice. Also out of curiosity, how would the Miles Davis turbine's compare? I actually won a bid on ebay on a pair for £100. I put in a bid because no one had bidded but I ended up winning. The retail price is £300-£400 but I've heard this isn't because their amazing but rather overpriced because their tribute earphones. The seller has sent some photos so I'm going to check if their genuine but for £100 would you say their a bargain or would you still recommend the IE8's for £130?

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
If you want such warm sound signature, the Grado won't satisfy you. Besides, you need to pick an amp as Gr8 is thirsty for power
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree about the amp but the GR8 is very very warm.  I would say Dark which can be altogether different from war granted.  

@andre.  Share pics of the MDs there are fakes now.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 20
Would anyone be able to sum up the differences between the Miles Davis' and the IE8's in terms of sound signature? At the moment it's between them two, they're around the same price (if the MD's are genuine) although the MD's have a higher RRP but that doesn't mean they're better by the look of it. Any comments would be appreciated. 

Here are the photos from the seller. I'm not sure how to spot fakes, I heard the gold part on the back of the earphone is plastic instead of metal on the fakes but I cant check that from a photo. Anaxilus, if you could compare them to yours that would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back