Sennheiser IE8 cable upgrade from ebay?
Dec 12, 2010 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

krismusic

Headphoneus Supremus
 Hi.Has anyone tried this cable "upgrade"?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-IE8-Night-stalker-IE8-/110574283606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bebdab56http://cgi.ebay.co.uk
Thanks for any info.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 27
I have seen that too, I am also curious.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 27
It seems like a home made cable. The plug is far less practical than the original one, and I doubt the cable is softer than the stock IE8 cable.
Why would you want to upgrade it anyway, it's one of the best cables I've seen on an IEM.

Dec 12, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 27
Did a little search and decided to steal this from another thread: 

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-IE8-Night-stalker-IE8-/110574283606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bebdab56

I got this one and when I first tried it, it sounded identical to the original cable. I let them burn in for 3 weeks with the IsoTek CD. After, I noticed a change right away. The highs are brighter, the thick sennheiser bass sound is gone but still has the impact that I like, and there is more 'air' around the music. The cable itself is thin and the connectors don't lock in place like they do with the stock cable but I'm really enjoying the sound now. I can now crank the bass dial without getting overwhelmed!

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 27
I just bought one of these about a week ago and it should be coming in before the end of the year so I'll let you guys know my impressions as soon as I can.  Recently while comparing my ie8's to a pair of tf10's I noticed that I was yearning for the ie8's to have more sparkle in the treble and for the vocals to be more forward.  This cable seems like it could do the trick for a low price point of $50. 

As for the plug, it depends what direction your source is facing.  If it's off to the side like a sansa clip then a right angle would be preferred but if it was out of the bottom like a sansa fuze then a straight end plug would be better.  The ie8 cord is one of the best I've encountered for a stock iem cable too but I'm curious on how other cords sound.

Also It seems like there hasn't been many people that have used an ie8 with an aftermarket cable which explains the lack of impressions.  I guess you never know until you try right?

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 27

Quote:
I just bought one of these about a week ago and it should be coming in before the end of the year so I'll let you guys know my impressions as soon as I can.  Recently while comparing my ie8's to a pair of tf10's I noticed that I was yearning for the ie8's to have more sparkle in the treble and for the vocals to be more forward.  This cable seems like it could do the trick for a low price point of $50. 

As for the plug, it depends what direction your source is facing.  If it's off to the side like a sansa clip then a right angle would be preferred but if it was out of the bottom like a sansa fuze then a straight end plug would be better.  The ie8 cord is one of the best I've encountered for a stock iem cable too but I'm curious on how other cords sound.

Also It seems like there hasn't been many people that have used an ie8 with an aftermarket cable which explains the lack of impressions.  I guess you never know until you try right?

Look forward to your impressions! I had the TF10s with Lune Cable and found the mids still a bit recessed compared to the IE8's. But I agree the treble on the IE8s could use a bit more sparkle, they seem a bit dark, but more natural sounding than the TF10's.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 27

Quote:
Depends what you mean by upgrade...
If it was called IE8 downgrade cable would it still sound the same?

Ha ha. Good post. I suspect that you are a cable sceptic. I am a beliver having heard improvement in many instances but lets not get into that one! I must say that I am very dubious about the benifit of silver plating copper. I would be much more interested in something like the Moon Audio cable and would order one if they terminated for the IE8.
I will await Poetik's verdict and see if he agrees with Rip N' Burn's experience.

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 27
What information do you base that feeling on?
I've made myself a silver cable and could have sworn I heard differences (sf5pro). I just keep my description of the properties of cables within physical boundaries. I can't fool myself subconsciously as easily as others, but that doesn't mean I do believe in cables. 

I just apply a very simple way of thinking to supernatural things. No reasonable evidence = ignored. Silver and copper have far more differences than 99.8% copper and 99.999998% cryoed unusually high strand count copper, so I think there's a little reason to base my experience on.

Also the way that 99% of cable makers braid their cables is stupid and cosmetic, but that's a story for another thread.

There's a reason that this is one of the first custom cables for a 4 year old iem, and there will be no custom cables for the se535. The cables are already the best. On a headphone, cable quality does not matter as much, so cable makers are free to have their way with your wallet.

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 27
I was kind of kidding. Just that I fully expect cable sceptics to comment on a topic like this. If they can be bothered. I am impressed that although you claim to be reasonably immune to BS. You still hear a difference with siver.
Your last point is probably right too. The cable on the IE8 is excellent physically. Just that the difference I have heard silver make in my LOD cable and again in my car set up is exactly the difference that I would like to make to my 8's.
Out of interest, what do you base your comment that HP cable quality does not matter as much on?
smile_phones.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 27
Look. There is no real reason to buy an upgrade cable for the ie8 actually. The stock cable is very sturdy and well build. And it is kelvar coated so it might save your life. Most upgrade cables are not cosmetically as good. So maybe it does sound better, But it does not gurantee that its bettter than the original. Take the Tf10 for reference to this. Most people only chose to upgrade to es2 because the stock cable was terrible. Now imagine that the stock cable was es2 itself. Ask yourself, would you upgrade it to twag? Some will, but not all will. Bottom line is, dont repair whats not broken. People constantly finding for these upgrades are just deceiving themselves.

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
Look. There is no real reason to buy an upgrade cable for the ie8 actually. The stock cable is very sturdy and well build. And it is kelvar coated so it might save your life. Most upgrade cables are not cosmetically as good. So maybe it does sound better, But it does not gurantee that its bettter than the original. Take the Tf10 for reference to this. Most people only chose to upgrade to es2 because the stock cable was terrible. Now imagine that the stock cable was es2 itself. Ask yourself, would you upgrade it to twag? Some will, but not all will. Bottom line is, dont repair whats not broken. People constantly finding for these upgrades are just deceiving themselves.

Lol that whole post is funny because it's coming from someone who owns an HD650 with a silver cable.  I just wanted to add a few opinions on what you've written above.

First you state, "Most upgrade cables are not cosmetically as good".  Maybe I haven't seen "all" the cables out there but from the ones I've owned so far (moon audio blue dragon, apuresound v3, and MarkL jena labs), have easily been cosmetically superior to the stock cables and in most cases, more solidly built. 

You also state, "So maybe it does sound better, But it does not gurantee that its bettter than the original".   I actually agree with this one as everything has it's strength's and weaknesses.  One cable might open up the sound stage and highs but at the cost of sounding thin while another cable could do the exact opposite.  We all know in the end it's all down to personal preference but then you go on to state this:

"Bottom line is, dont repair whats not broken. People constantly finding for these upgrades are just deceiving themselves".  So basically what you're saying is that even though you can upgrade the look, build quality, and sound of your headphone then you shouldn't unless the cable is malfunctioning or broken? For some reason that just doesn't seem right to me..

Now I can understand that you're trying to spare people the pain of spending needless money but if there is any improvement to be gained I'm sure someone, especially an enthusiast, will probably most likely do it. 

Now I'm curious, did you find a better sound with your recabled HD650's? Was it better built / does it look better than the stock cable?  Also was the HD650 cable broken before you replaced it with another one? You know because, "Bottom line is, dont repair whats not broken." right?
wink_face.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
Out of interest, what do you base your comment that HP cable quality does not matter as much on?
smile_phones.gif

Headphones tend to remain relatively stationary for their entire lives, as well as not inducing severe microphonics on the wearer. This allows designers to focus on the quality of the headphone itself, rather than a physically robust cable that does not convey vibrations. The quality of home made cables tends to be very far off the quality of factory made cables, due to their nature. Just having a massive 3.5mm jack is a significant disadvantage already, not to mention the cabling and braiding methods they use.

The amount of subjectivity and twisting of words annoys me in threads like this. The annoying becomes apparent when my posts become deleted because this forum is extremely vulnerable to trolling.
First of all, there is no way a home made cable is 'built better' than a factory made one. The whole 'shrink wrap strain reliefs' and large, heavy connection points and added weight are all unfavourable characteristics for durability. How someone could see the opposite I do not understand. The only place I've seen a real cable consistently fail is the joint between the jack and wire of the UE earphones. That is mainly because the sleeving is extendable while the core wires aren't, causing intense strain on the solder connections if wrapped up.

On the comment on 'don't fix if it's not broken', it seems that you have associated the words 'upgrade cable' with 'superior to stock' in every way.
Looks - Although looks ARE subjective, a degree of objectivity can be reached when a large third party is called in to give their opinions, namely, normal people. When lots of people think your upgrade cable looks 'home made' in a derogatory way, it suggests that anything we audiophiles in general think about the look of custom cables is isolated to ourselves (tested with only a teenage demographic, who DO think beats look good). I'm in the group that says 'function is all where function is desired', except I have the teenage urge of 'it has to not make my friends vomit'. You won't see your custom cable on an iem. Others might. Either way looks are a horrible reason (if it's not the only reason) for most things, but if you do want to count them, count them as neutral or bad.

Build quality - I invite anyone to dispute the IE series cable as one of the best (and the UE ones as the worst). The UM3x does not have a single custom cable. The IE8 has about three. It took 4+ years for the makers to consider demand (or low cost of extra materials) good enough to make them.
The whole point of designing something is integration. If whatever you're making doesn't at least function menially with itself, then it's already a failure. Your cables are built with many different parts, but they are built as one. The joints, the cable and the connections are all integrated to form one solid (to varying degrees) product. When you try to create something out of many different pieces that weren't designed specifically to be together in the formation desired, it is usually inferior to one that was. The simplest and most universal analogy in my opinion is lego. You buy a lego set and it is designed to fit together perfectly. You buy a mechanno set and try to make it look like the lego set, and it might get close, but it will be inferior to a whole design.

Sound quality - come on....

krismusic - To make my stance on cables clear, I think it is viable that silver makes a difference from copper. I am not implying anything else, but I will say that, if given a choice, with all else equal, I would pay $x extra for a silver cable. x will be based on the current price of the headphone/iem and a few other financial factors. If I could, I'd own gold cables. Yeahhhh.

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
Will these cable work lets say on lower IE models like the 4 or the 6? 

Don't think so, ie8's actually have a feature that lets you switch them out easily. Otherwise, might be wrong, but I think you'd have to solder the cords by hand and since they're so tiny...That'd be pretty tough. 

Senn cords are supposed to be really tough though, made of kevlar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back