Sennheiser IE7: tragically lost, worth upgrading while I'm at it?
Jan 10, 2011 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Funkyriffic

New Head-Fier
Hi, Unfortunately, I managed to leave my bag on a train, taking my beloved IE7s with it. Now, I loved those earphones, but occasionally found the highs to be fatiguing and/or harsh. Has anyone else found this? If so, is there an IEM that can offer absolutely everything the IE7 offers (being juicy tight kicking bass, lush mids, epic soundstage, almost bombproof construction and comfy, discreet fit) and more? Budget would be absolutely no more than £200, aiming around £150. Also keeping in mind products in the works if anyone has any sneaky hints on things to come. Or, am I better sticking to what I know I love and getting IE7s again? Thanks for any help. Graham

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 11
what music player are you using and do you have a portable amp?
Type of music you listen to?

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 11
Dude. If you loved the IE7 so much, you should get another (yes, I'm selling one, sorry about that-not pimping them for that reason.) I don't remember the highs being harsh when I had them though, but I feel in lots of ways the way you do about the IE7--they're just really, really good all rounders and durable too. The ones I'm selling are actually my second pair I bought because I missed the first pair!

If you found the treble too much but love the mids, you may be a good candidate for Shure Se535. They have a lot of detractors but I know that Mark2410 really enjoys them and he also is one of those who speaks really highly about the IE7. Some complain that the highs on their precursor the se530 are rolled off (not sure about the current version) but I think you might really like that. Their soundstage will probably not be as good as the IE7 (dynamics seem to accomplish more as far as soundstage goes) but reading the SE535 thread would help more answer that question. I think you should be able to find a pair used at your price range.

I've also owned and enjoyed the IE8. They're much bassier but the soundstage is epic, the cords are replacable, they are built like a tank, lots of fun and the highs are their but not in your face. Not sure on pricing in the UK but fantastic earphones...if you did bass.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 11
The same thing has happened to me.  I loved the sound out of my IE7s but the only downside was not enough isolation on planes which is wear I listen to them mostly.  I'm lost at the moment debating between the MTPG's, CK10's and a myriad of other headphones. The IE7's had the right amount of bass so I'm not looking for something with less. They need to hold up well and a microphone is a plus.

I'm moderately interested in the Shure SE425's too.  Sorry to threadjack.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 11
you found the highs on the IE7 harsh at times?  well thats got to rule out most things then, im thinking for you the IE7, RE-262 or maybe even something like the EX500.

by any chance were you useing crap bit rate stuff? the IE7 is pretty mellow in the highs certainly for more so than most

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 11
RE262.  My new mantra until everyone in the known geekyverse has a pair.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
you found the highs on the IE7 harsh at times?  well thats got to rule out most things then, im thinking for you the IE7, RE-262 or maybe even something like the EX500.

by any chance were you useing crap bit rate stuff? the IE7 is pretty mellow in the highs certainly for more so than most

x2

The IE7 treble was definitely anything but harsh. It was a bit soft and this may be the first time I've heard anyone complain about the treble as harsh unless of course you had horrible recordings or bad quality files.

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
The same thing has happened to me.  I loved the sound out of my IE7s but the only downside was not enough isolation on planes which is wear I listen to them mostly.  I'm lost at the moment debating between the MTPG's, CK10's and a myriad of other headphones. The IE7's had the right amount of bass so I'm not looking for something with less. They need to hold up well and a microphone is a plus.

I'm moderately interested in the Shure SE425's too.  Sorry to threadjack.

Try Comply tips. It gives a stronger bas with better isolation

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 11
i also lost my IE7 last year..friend borrowed from me and misplaced them..though he compensated with some $$$

i upgraded to Westone 3 because i found IE7 too warm for rock.

happiest decision...also because Westone 3 offers a better fit.

but you on the other hand found IE7 harsh, so i wont recommend the same.

but do try or audition IE8 which has a larger soundstage, bigger bass and clearer if not more harsh highs.

if you can then try to audition Westone 3 also.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for all your help guys. You're going to facepalm now as I say I am using the headphone out on my HTC Desire... I just wanted to see if it was just me that was finding the slightly harsh highs, and lo and behold it is just me! Stupid cheapo phone headphone jack... But am I right in thinking that a headphone amp would not improve sound quality since it was still be coming out of the headphone socket? Taking apart my phone and resoldering connections isn't really an option!

So looks like I'll stick with the trusty IE7's for now, no point upgrading if I was really happy with the sound (seeing as the highs issue is not the IE7's fault). So is there any option for the improving the sound quality from my phone? (don't have the cash for a separate DAP)

Oh, and yeah, to clarify, I'm on 240 kbps VBR mp3 encoded from FLAC. Wouldn't listen to music on £120 headphones on anything of a lower bitrate!

Thanks again for your input!

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back