Sennheiser IE300 Review & Measurements
May 22, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #317 of 738
Didn't know either. I had no problems with the M silicons sealing right from the start. Brilliant design with the tips. Just tried the longer nozzle mode. Seals even better. Another thing on my mind is the helmholtz absorber. So with two different insertion depth and peoples different ear canal lenght there is a good bit of variance of ear canal resonances. What is the bandwidth of the absorber? Does it actually work just for the average ear canal?

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #318 of 738
Didn't know either. I had no problems with the M silicons sealing right from the start. Brilliant design with the tips. Just tried the longer nozzle mode. Seals even better. Another thing on my mind is the helmholtz absorber. So with two different insertion depth and peoples different ear canal lenght there is a good bit of variance of ear canal resonances. What is the bandwidth of the absorber? Does it actually work just for the average ear canal?

The nice thing about the resonator is it works regardless of the size of your ear or eartips. It’s a little chamber inside, of a VERY specific size, and that size/volume acts similar to a spring to absorb and cushion the energy from specific frequencies.

May 24, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #319 of 738
Just tried the large stock silicone tips that came with my Beyerdynamic Beat Byrd. They seal incredibly well and consistently so for me even if I wear the IE300 deep in my ears. The silicone is a bit stiffer/more solid than it is one the stock Sennheiser ones, too. If someone by chance has them (or the Xelento) as well - give them a try!

Edit: The large silicone tips of the Momentum True Wireless 2 also fit nicely. I might even settle with these since I'm used to them already - but pretty much everything seems to work better for me than the stock tips of the IE300!

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #320 of 738
For anyone curious, here are IE 300 and IE 900 cases and dimensions, as well as a bonus feature about the eartips.

The IE 300 has an all black case, while the IE 900 is a bronze/nickel color with a black zipper.
image.jpg

The IE 900 serial number is also engraved on a metal plaque on the back of the case, so that it isn’t shrunk too small to be read on the body one IE 900 itself:
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
The inner dimensions of the IE 300 case are about 3” or 7.7cm wide by 2.5” or 6.5cm tall, with just about a half inch or 1.2cm deep on each side of the zippered shell.The IE 900 case is black inside too, about 3 and 1/8 inches or 8.1cm wide and 2 and 3/8inches or 6.1cm tall, and 7/16ths of an inch or 1.1cm deep.

So, yes, the IE 300 case is a bit more square, and the IE 900 case is a bit longer on its longest side.
image.jpg

The IE 900 and IE 300 both use the same silicone and foam tips, as well as a cleaning tool. Does anyone else feel like the foam tips look a bit like little tires? Both types have an interesting bonus feature: there are grooves to hold the tips onto the earphone nozzle at TWO different depths, allowing the user to experiment for optimal comfort and sound.
image.jpg

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #325 of 738
Returning mine unfortunately, I just can't deal with the sibilance on some tracks.

As a glasses wearer the cable hook/loop is too thick causing discomfort and microphonics whenever I turn my head. Not to mention the finger acrobatics to get them fitted!

Other than those two issues and perhaps too much bass energy I really did like them, really want to keep liking them but it's a struggle.

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #327 of 738
The treble can indeed be a bit sibilant on some tracks at higher volumes. The foam tips e.g. do tame the highs quite a bit, though.

I'm still using them with the large MTW2 silicone tips and (despite the treble being a bit too much at times) they are still wonderful little IEMs for me.

That said, they do have their downsides (stock silicone tips, cable microphonics...).

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #328 of 738
Hey folks just wanted to know out of the two the ie300 and aria ii which would be a better option for a day to day listen, the ie300 is three times the price as the aria ii, but the main thing I am looking for is clarity, balance and details and a little warmth concerned because the ie300 looks a little trebly, btw had the ie400 start of last year it was a good iem but the build was very average replaced that with the starfields for cheaper but is the ie300 really that good can anyone provide a comparison if possible

Jun 14, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #329 of 738
TBH, the IE100pro JAM!! The bass isn't as boomy as the IE300, and the imaging isn't as holographic, but technically they are very close and the mids are way more forward and crisp, and the highs are more extended, but not as polished. For the $100 though, they are superior to the IE40 pro and play in the same ballpark as the IE400.

Jun 14, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #330 of 738
TBH, the IE100pro JAM!! The bass isn't as boomy as the IE300, and the imaging isn't as holographic, but technically they are very close and the mids are way more forward and crisp, and the highs are more extended, but not as polished. For the $100 though, they are superior to the IE40 pro and play in the same ballpark as the IE400.
I love my IE100 Pro's for easy daily driver use. The FR is much more pleasing and easier to listen to than the IE300's. The IE300's are more creamy (polished) but don't have the same energy in the mids/mid-highs for me. The IE100 Pro's need some love!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back