Sennheiser IE 500 PRO (and newer models) vs Sennheiser IE 800 S
May 4, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #76 of 129
fablestruck
In the end I went for the smoky IE400s being skeptical about the frequency response graph of the IE500s (though never listened to them).
More weighty sound than the IE40s definitely.
Pretty wide soundstage and very good imaging and resolution: quite immersive experience actually.
Not bad at all for 195 euros.
20200505_001324.jpg

May 6, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #77 of 129
Ordered the 500's while the sale was still on. Interested to hear them based on the varying feedback. Had the 40's for about six months and really like the fit so was always interested in these, just not at their original price point!

Bought direct from Sennheiser Australia so if there are any issues with the build warranty shouldn't be a problem (that said my 40's have had a lot of use and seem perfectly fine still).

May 6, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #78 of 129
Ordered the 500's while the sale was still on. Interested to hear them based on the varying feedback. Had the 40's for about six months and really like the fit so was always interested in these, just not at their original price point!

Bought direct from Sennheiser Australia so if there are any issues with the build warranty shouldn't be a problem (that said my 40's have had a lot of use and seem perfectly fine still).
I would appreciate your comments regarding the sound signature of ie500s in comparison with the ie40s. I went for the ie400s because of the 1.5khz boost and 4khz deep of ie500s which seemed to me awkward (https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/sennheiser-ie500-pro/).

May 10, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #79 of 129
I would appreciate your comments regarding the sound signature of ie500s in comparison with the ie40s. I went for the ie400s because of the 1.5khz boost and 4khz deep of ie500s which seemed to me awkward (https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/sennheiser-ie500-pro/).

Just got them now. Very different to the IE40!

These are much faster, insanely so for the size of the driver. Soundstage is similar but these are more detailed so the seperation is more apparent. Nothing sounds off at the moment but literally only had them for about an hour so very early impressions, have comply tips coming (tomorrow by the looks of it) so will post more impressions when I've got them and had a good listen, so far I'm very impressed.

May 12, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #80 of 129
Just got them now. Very different to the IE40!

These are much faster, insanely so for the size of the driver. Soundstage is similar but these are more detailed so the seperation is more apparent. Nothing sounds off at the moment but literally only had them for about an hour so very early impressions, have comply tips coming (tomorrow by the looks of it) so will post more impressions when I've got them and had a good listen, so far I'm very impressed.
Great.
Please post more impressions after you have a good listen.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #81 of 129
I have tried, fiio fh5, final e5000, fiio fa1. These are superior for me. The only thing I don't like are the quality, too plastic, comparing fh5 seem to cost 20 euros and I don't like the cable, I would like have a classic mmcx cable.
Bat the sound in whery nice

Attachments

• 20200605_134149.jpg
    20200605_134149.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #82 of 129
Hi guys,

I have an ie800(not s version) and just bought an ie 500 pro as i was very curious, and couldn't find anybody who tested them simultaneously. I was looking for the same sound with a little bit more bass.
I have owned a few headphones(hd650 akg701Q etc...), and few cheaper sennheiser in ears(momentum etc..) , and some decent standmount loudspeaker systems.
(I only wrote it , to let you know, that i have some audiophile years behind me.)

Simply put the ie500 pro is not better than the ie800 soundwise,.but rather different. The 500 is more comfortable, easier to get a good fit and.seal, and has much less cable noise. It has fuller and deeper bass.
The soundstage is similar in size. The instruments and singers are a bit bigger with the500, while the ie800 has more of a pinpoint quality with smaller sized instruments.and some xtra sparkle in the treble. I still dont understand why many old reviews stated that the ie800 is bass heavy...It has a very good bass and with great records( classical music) the double bass and the drums are really good, but never wozl i say they have big bass...
As expected from any in ear Non of the two get to that level in soundstage or presence or openness as for example the akg701Q. headphones. But of course the smaller size make it possible for everyday carry.

I like a little better the ie800(and it looks much classier), as i usually listen jazz and classical where the bigger bass is not necessary. For funk and other bass heavy genres the 500 has more full sound.
Both of them are very good and I am planning to keep both of them.
If i could pick only one i would try the ie400 :wink: too.IMG_20200619_151320~2.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #83 of 129
Hi guys,

I have an ie800(not s version) and just bought an ie 500 pro as i was very curious, and couldn't find anybody who tested them simultaneously. I was looking for the same sound with a little bit more bass.
I have owned a few headphones(hd650 akg701Q etc...), and few cheaper sennheiser in ears(momentum etc..) , and some decent standmount loudspeaker systems.
(I only wrote it , to let you know, that i have some audiophile years behind me.)

Simply put the ie500 pro is not better than the ie800 soundwise,.but rather different. The 500 is more comfortable, easier to get a good fit and.seal, and has much less cable noise. It has fuller and deeper bass.
The soundstage is similar in size. The instruments and singers are a bit bigger with the500, while the ie800 has more of a pinpoint quality with smaller sized instruments.and some xtra sparkle in the treble. I still dont understand why many old reviews stated that the ie800 is bass heavy...It has a very good bass and with great records( classical music) the double bass and the drums are really good, but never wozl i say they have big bass...
As expected from any in ear Non of the two get to that level in soundstage or presence or openness as for example the akg701Q. headphones. But of course the smaller size make it possible for everyday carry.

I like a little better the ie800(and it looks much classier), as i usually listen jazz and classical where the bigger bass is not necessary. For funk and other bass heavy genres the 500 has more full sound.
Both of them are very good and I am planning to keep both of them.
If i could pick only one i would try the ie400 :wink: too.IMG_20200619_151320~2.jpg
Finally, a comparison with IE800, thanks for sharing.
I have the S version and the IE500 looked interesting as I find the IE800S a little bit bright for 6, 8 and 16khz, where IE500 goes lower from what I saw in FR graph but also being the reason for criticism - too dark and thick sound.
It doesn't seem to be too bad based on your description though.

Jun 22, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #84 of 129
Finally, a comparison with IE800, thanks for sharing.
I have the S version and the IE500 looked interesting as I find the IE800S a little bit bright for 6, 8 and 16khz, where IE500 goes lower from what I saw in FR graph but also being the reason for criticism - too dark and thick sound.
It doesn't seem to be too bad based on your description though.
Yes the 500 goes quit low which is nice in many genres, but its not accurate,.and can be a problem too. I put a good amount of listening in it the last couple of days, and the end result is that i'm sending it back. The problem is that voices are recessed compaired to my ie800, like the singers would sing from a bucket (we have this saying in my country), so the graphs that showed this scoop were right. Otherwise it is VERY comfortable and has really good fit, and basicly no cable noise. And if i try it back to back with my other cheaper senn IEMs then I must say it is very enjoyable, but compaired to the ie800 then its an easy no.
The ie800 has a somewhat too much trebel with some records, which you dont have with the 500, that seems to be more lifelike and natural and i was able to stop analysing the sound and start to just listen and enjoy(but the recessed voices kept hunting me)
I think i will try the 400, as other than the voices I really like it.

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #85 of 129
Yes the 500 goes quit low which is nice in many genres, but its not accurate,.and can be a problem too. I put a good amount of listening in it the last couple of days, and the end result is that i'm sending it back. The problem is that voices are recessed compaired to my ie800, like the singers would sing from a bucket (we have this saying in my country), so the graphs that showed this scoop were right. Otherwise it is VERY comfortable and has really good fit, and basicly no cable noise. And if i try it back to back with my other cheaper senn IEMs then I must say it is very enjoyable, but compaired to the ie800 then its an easy no.
The ie800 has a somewhat too much trebel with some records, which you dont have with the 500, that seems to be more lifelike and natural and i was able to stop analysing the sound and start to just listen and enjoy(but the recessed voices kept hunting me)
I think i will try the 400, as other than the voices I really like it.
Please do send us a comparison of the ie400 pros with ie800s if you do indeed try them.
Their FR graph seems quite similar if you look at this tool:
https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #87 of 129
Just bought the ie500. Is there still anyone fan of them? Let‘s discuss about the ie500 :)
I would have selected the ie 400 Pro: same driver, build, and accessories, just a slightly different cable. The ie 400 sound much better - not sure why Sennheiser charges $250 more for the ie 500...which completely lack upper midrange - they sound therefore muffled and congested in the vocals department. Look at the drop of the ie 500's FR at 3 kHz.

Even the $99 ie 40 Pro sound better.

JoRcnuY.jpg

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #88 of 129
I’m still enjoying these for certain genres, the low frequencies are great.

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #89 of 129
I would have selected the ie 400 Pro: same driver, build, and accessories, just a slightly different cable. The ie 400 sound much better - not sure why Sennheiser charges $250 more for the ie 500...which completely lack upper midrange - they sound therefore muffled and congested in the vocals department. Look at the drop of the ie 500's FR at 3 kHz.

Even the $99 ie 40 Pro sound better.

JoRcnuY.jpg
Ya, I only saw people posting ablut ie400 being better after I bought my 500......

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #90 of 129
Ya, I only saw people posting ablut ie400 being better after I bought my 500......
Can you return them - the 500s are seriously flawed and seriously overpriced. The 400s, on the other hand, are great earphones.

I talked to the iem tuner at Sennheiser and to their classic-headphones guy. The iem guy was not happy with me but the headphones guy agreed. He himself uses the 400s.

Admittedly, Sennheiser does not make it easy for their customers to find the right selection.

I have all three models, currently: 40s, 400s, 500s...and I wrote reviews for each of them:
https://www.audioreviews.org/earphones/

I am also presently working on a comparison article of the three models including a YouTube video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back