Sennheiser IE 500 PRO (and newer models) vs Sennheiser IE 800 S
Apr 15, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #109 of 129
I just bought the official Sennheiser twisted cable for my IE 400 Pros and it’s MUCH louder than my straight black cable. I don’t understand what’s going on here. Being twisted is supposed to prevent it from transferring so much noise but it’s very noisy and distracting.

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #110 of 129
I just bought the official Sennheiser twisted cable for my IE 400 Pros and it’s MUCH louder than my straight black cable. I don’t understand what’s going on here. Being twisted is supposed to prevent it from transferring so much noise but it’s very noisy and distracting.
Twisted cables don't mean they are better with microphonic noise. Based on the materials used for the sheathing it can be better or worse. Braided can be worse with the wrong sheathing cause it then creates a bumpy less smooth surface that when brushing across and over stuff, esp. zippers, can be much noisier than a smooth straight cable.

Also think the ear guides that Senn made on that cable are a nice part of that. Again based on material and construction the guides can let more microphonic travel through or can minimize it.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #111 of 129
Twisted cables don't mean they are better with microphonic noise. Based on the materials used for the sheathing it can be better or worse. Braided can be worse with the wrong sheathing cause it then creates a bumpy less smooth surface that when brushing across and over stuff, esp. zippers, can be much noisier than a smooth straight cable.

Also think the ear guides that Senn made on that cable are a nice part of that. Again based on material and construction the guides can let more microphonic travel through or can minimize it.
Interesting. I realized that it only seems to be the left and right wires after the split that touch my face. If I sinch it up tight, it’s quiet. Also the bottom half is fine.

Jun 3, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #112 of 129
A word of caution: i've read several times about durability issues with this series, for some people IE Pro 400 would just fall apart after couple of months, or one side would stop working. So only buy them from a place with a real warranty.
What do you mean they would just fall apart? Like they're coming unglued? Could it be the user is applying rubbing alcohol to them while cleaning them? That could eat away at the glue and cause issues like this. I've had mine for a few months now and they're still in tip top shape and I keep them in my pocket in a soft pouch hah

Jul 11, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #114 of 129
IE400 pro vs IE600 thoughts anyone?
They're gonna be pretty different sounding. The 400 has more lush laid-back sound in the upper mid/lower treble range that may bother some people, but it doesn't bother me. The IE 600 mostly follows the harmon curve, but is slightly different. I can't tell you which one you'll like better.

I haven't personally heard the IE 600, but I'm very satisfied with how the IE 400 Pro sounds. I also like the connector a lot better too as MMCX is kinda fragile whereas the pentaconn ear seem more sturdy and have a stronger connection (doesn't spin as freely as MMCX).

Oct 30, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #115 of 129
What do you mean they would just fall apart? Like they're coming unglued? Could it be the user is applying rubbing alcohol to them while cleaning them? That could eat away at the glue and cause issues like this. I've had mine for a few months now and they're still in tip top shape and I keep them in my pocket in a soft pouch hah
I've never cleaned my IE 40 Pro (40, not 400) with rubbing alcohol and 2 weeks ago they just... fell apart. The left one just unglued itself in two and the guts spilled on my desk and shoulder. Can't blame it on sweat either; mostly indoor listening at home.
My IE 400 Pro are still ok. Though given the similarities, if it happened to my 40, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to my 400 in a few months.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #116 of 129
I've never cleaned my IE 40 Pro (40, not 400) with rubbing alcohol and 2 weeks ago they just... fell apart. The left one just unglued itself in two and the guts spilled on my desk and shoulder. Can't blame it on sweat either; mostly indoor listening at home.
My IE 400 Pro are still ok. Though given the similarities, if it happened to my 40, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to my 400 in a few months.
I use both my IE 100 Pros and 400 Pros almost daily (I regularly swap between them) and they're both going strong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nov 2, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #117 of 129
Two years into periodic use of my IE 400 pro, the left piece just stoped working.
Got a replacement set from Sennheiser.
I have them on the bt IE pro module permanently. IE 400s are by far the most comfortable, unfatiguing sounding IEM I have.
Even though they have fallen a bit out of favour due to the relatively thin mids they still sound amazing overall with lovely stage and imaging.

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #118 of 129
Two years into periodic use of my IE 400 pro, the left piece just stoped working.
Got a replacement set from Sennheiser.
I have them on the bt IE pro module permanently. IE 400s are by far the most comfortable, unfatiguing sounding IEM I have.
Even though they have fallen a bit out of favour due to the relatively thin mids they still sound amazing overall with lovely stage and imaging.
My right bud just died on my 400 Pro 🙁 I have a service request in and I'm gonna ship 'em out on Monday. Do you just send the whole thing with the wire and everything? Also, do they send you both drivers that match or replace one and just hope it matches or maybe they match it there?

Jan 28, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #120 of 129
My right bud just died on my 400 Pro 🙁 I have a service request in and I'm gonna ship 'em out on Monday. Do you just send the whole thing with the wire and everything? Also, do they send you both drivers that match or replace one and just hope it matches or maybe they match it there?
Hello. Sorry to hear that.
I replaced mine from the local authorized dealer.
I left them the whole set (two buds and cable ) and the gave me a new one set with two new buds and a new cable.
But you could ask sennheiser before in your case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back