1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser IE 500 PRO (and newer models) vs Sennheiser IE 800 S

First

Back
1 2 3
  1. Bui Hai Anh
    I own the IE 40 Pro and had the chance to audition IE 400 Pro - IE 500 Pro.
    I'm more active on FB, and there I said, unequivocally, that IE 40 Pro is playing in the $300 league sonically.
    Sadly to say, the big brothers also play in that league.
    IE 400 Pro is good, nothing problematic standing out, but also forgettable.
    IE 500 Pro has, IMO, a dark sound. Some folks in the SE846 camp may enjoy that. But my AKG N5005 shattered IE500 Pro with much better tonality - bass - mid - treble - speed.
    And I have sold my N5005 because my LZ A6 (with a bit of foams) offers a slightly better sound at significantly lower price.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Otto Motor likes this.
  2. Otto Motor
    The 500s are dark because the upper harmonics for the voices are missing. A symphony orchestra sounds totally congested because the upper winds and upper strings are simply not there. The 40s don't resolve as well but they are more homogeneous sounding (and nowhere thin as claimed here). They are a good deal imo (also considering their other $50-$100 siblings are simply outdated with too much bass).

Checked your FB comments: "...Seriously, my Kanas Pro sounded so blurry compared to this.
    IE40 Pro gave me the wow like the first time I listened to IE800
    ..." Funnily, I got lots of abuse for finding the Kanas Pro not up to speed at $180 (unbalanced as bass overwhelming and mids too thin)...but I really like the $30 Moondrop Crescent.

Looking forward to a bigger variety of opinions. There are not many reviews on the internet and Google is totally confused when searching for "Sennheiser IR 500 PRO review".

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  3. opiumhum
    I really disagree with this - the IE 500 Pro is the best single dynamic driver IEM I have ever heard - it's incredibly linear and delivers frequencies where they are supposed to sit in a mix or recording. There's plenty upper harmonics, or rather exactly as much as intended in the recording!

soundblast75 and audio123 like this.
  4. Otto Motor
    This guy essentially wrote the same as me....but at a later time: https://crinacle.com/2019/08/14/cliffnotes-sennheisers-new-lineup-big-name-small-sound/

"...Tonality-wise, the harmonics are undoubtedly focused towards the lower-order side of things. There is not a lot of bite or energy in the midrange, and instruments sound unnecessarily bodied and thick when it shouldn’t be. Then you get that weird hump in the mids that emphasises a section of the harmonics that really shouldn’t be emphasised, resulting in a tone that’s honky and almost nasally..."

I honestly prefer the IE40 at 1/6 of the price...which already says it all. And the Drop + JVC HA-FDX01 at $250 is vastly superior.

Hier dat janze: https://www.audioreviews.org/sennheiser-ie-500-pro-review/

Na bitte!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  5. cfc7
    Too bad I still don't see any comparisons with the IE800S, though the name of the thread explicitly mentioned this.

6. soundblast75
    +1 been revisiting them lately, congested and lacking in any department calls for ear checks

7. cfc7
    Can you be more specific? What do you mean by congested more exactly?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  8. Otto Motor
    Congested = muffled, narrow, opposite of open and airy.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  9. cfc7
    I was confused because above it was a "+1" for the statement "the best single dynamic driver IEM" and I didn't see congested as a quality.

10. Otto Motor
    No, it is not. The price of the IE500 Pro is a complete joke. I pointed this out to Sennheiser in all detail. I would shoot myself had I spent $600 or Euros for these. And the replacement cable costs $79...which is the equivalent to an $8 cable on aliexpress. The $100 IE40, in comparison, is a good earphone: https://www.audioreviews.org/?s=sennheiser

If you want a really good dynamic-driver earphone, look into the $28 Blon BL-03. Despite it being hyped, I think this hype is still an understatement. The reason for saying this is that the Blon's strength is its accurate reproduction, its tonal balance and coherence, and its natural dynamics. All these attributes are not considered in most "reviews", as the kids don't listen to naturally amplified music where this plays a role. I think these Blons are as good as the JVC HA-FDX01, arguably the best dynamic drivers on the market.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  11. cfc7
    I see...I thought the BL-03 was too hyped and didn't pay too much attention but that's quite an interesting statement.
    Regarding the IE40, isn't too bright? Comparing the frequency graph with the IE800S which is also bright for me, although at the borderline of being offensive, I see some spikes at 6, 8 and 13 khz and that's something I want to avoid based on the IE800S sound.

12. Otto Motor
    The peaks are discussed in mine/Biodegraded's double review: there is a high treble peak that some don't like. The ie40 is not particularly, which would point to peaks in the 4 kHz region. The Blons are brighter.

First

Back
1 2 3