Sennheiser IE 500 PRO (and newer models) vs Sennheiser IE 800 S
Jul 15, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #46 of 129
I own the IE 40 Pro and had the chance to audition IE 400 Pro - IE 500 Pro.
I'm more active on FB, and there I said, unequivocally, that IE 40 Pro is playing in the $300 league sonically.
Sadly to say, the big brothers also play in that league.
IE 400 Pro is good, nothing problematic standing out, but also forgettable.
IE 500 Pro has, IMO, a dark sound. Some folks in the SE846 camp may enjoy that. But my AKG N5005 shattered IE500 Pro with much better tonality - bass - mid - treble - speed.
And I have sold my N5005 because my LZ A6 (with a bit of foams) offers a slightly better sound at significantly lower price.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #47 of 129
I own the IE 40 Pro and had the chance to audition IE 400 Pro - IE 500 Pro.
I'm more active on FB, and there I said, unequivocally, that IE 40 Pro is playing in the $300 league sonically.
Sadly to say, the big brothers also play in that league.
IE 400 Pro is good, nothing problematic standing out, but also forgettable.
IE 500 Pro has, IMO, a dark sound. Some folks in the SE846 camp may enjoy that. But my AKG N5005 shattered IE500 Pro with much better tonality - bass - mid - treble - speed.
And I have sold my N5005 because my LZ A6 (with a bit of foams) offers a slightly better sound at significantly lower price.
The 500s are dark because the upper harmonics for the voices are missing. A symphony orchestra sounds totally congested because the upper winds and upper strings are simply not there. The 40s don't resolve as well but they are more homogeneous sounding (and nowhere thin as claimed here). They are a good deal imo (also considering their other $50-$100 siblings are simply outdated with too much bass).

Checked your FB comments: "...Seriously, my Kanas Pro sounded so blurry compared to this.
IE40 Pro gave me the wow like the first time I listened to IE800
..." Funnily, I got lots of abuse for finding the Kanas Pro not up to speed at $180 (unbalanced as bass overwhelming and mids too thin)...but I really like the $30 Moondrop Crescent.

Looking forward to a bigger variety of opinions. There are not many reviews on the internet and Google is totally confused when searching for "Sennheiser IR 500 PRO review".

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #48 of 129
The 500s are dark because the upper harmonics for the voices are missing. A symphony orchestra sounds totally congested because the upper winds and upper strings are simply not there. The 40s don't resolve as well but they are more homogeneous sounding (and nowhere thin as claimed here). They are a good deal imo (also considering their other $50-$100 siblings are simply outdated with too much bass).

Checked your FB comments: "...Seriously, my Kanas Pro sounded so blurry compared to this.
IE40 Pro gave me the wow like the first time I listened to IE800
..." Funnily, I got lots of abuse for finding the Kanas Pro not up to speed at $180 (unbalanced as bass overwhelming and mids too thin)...but I really like the $30 Moondrop Crescent.

Looking forward to a bigger variety of opinions. There are not many reviews on the internet and Google is totally confused when searching for "Sennheiser IR 500 PRO review".

I really disagree with this - the IE 500 Pro is the best single dynamic driver IEM I have ever heard - it's incredibly linear and delivers frequencies where they are supposed to sit in a mix or recording. There's plenty upper harmonics, or rather exactly as much as intended in the recording!

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #49 of 129
I really disagree with this - the IE 500 Pro is the best single dynamic driver IEM I have ever heard - it's incredibly linear and delivers frequencies where they are supposed to sit in a mix or recording. There's plenty upper harmonics, or rather exactly as much as intended in the recording!
This guy essentially wrote the same as me....but at a later time: https://crinacle.com/2019/08/14/cliffnotes-sennheisers-new-lineup-big-name-small-sound/

"...Tonality-wise, the harmonics are undoubtedly focused towards the lower-order side of things. There is not a lot of bite or energy in the midrange, and instruments sound unnecessarily bodied and thick when it shouldn’t be. Then you get that weird hump in the mids that emphasises a section of the harmonics that really shouldn’t be emphasised, resulting in a tone that’s honky and almost nasally..."

I honestly prefer the IE40 at 1/6 of the price...which already says it all. And the Drop + JVC HA-FDX01 at $250 is vastly superior.

Hier dat janze: https://www.audioreviews.org/sennheiser-ie-500-pro-review/

Na bitte!

10352249.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #51 of 129

+1 been revisiting them lately, congested and lacking in any department calls for ear checks

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #55 of 129
I was confused because above it was a "+1" for the statement "the best single dynamic driver IEM" and I didn't see congested as a quality.
No, it is not. The price of the IE500 Pro is a complete joke. I pointed this out to Sennheiser in all detail. I would shoot myself had I spent $600 or Euros for these. And the replacement cable costs $79...which is the equivalent to an $8 cable on aliexpress. The $100 IE40, in comparison, is a good earphone: https://www.audioreviews.org/?s=sennheiser

If you want a really good dynamic-driver earphone, look into the $28 Blon BL-03. Despite it being hyped, I think this hype is still an understatement. The reason for saying this is that the Blon's strength is its accurate reproduction, its tonal balance and coherence, and its natural dynamics. All these attributes are not considered in most "reviews", as the kids don't listen to naturally amplified music where this plays a role. I think these Blons are as good as the JVC HA-FDX01, arguably the best dynamic drivers on the market.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #56 of 129
No, it is not. The price of the IE500 Pro is a complete joke. I pointed this out to Sennheiser in all detail. I would shoot myself had I spent $600 or Euros for these. And the replacement cable costs $79...which is the equivalent to an $8 cable on aliexpress. The $100 IE40, in comparison, is a good earphone: https://www.audioreviews.org/?s=sennheiser

If you want a really good dynamic-driver earphone, look into the $28 Blon BL-03. Despite it being hyped, I think this hype is still an understatement. The reason for saying this is that the Blon's strength is its accurate reproduction, its tonal balance and coherence, and its natural dynamics. All these attributes are not considered in most "reviews", as the kids don't listen to naturally amplified music where this plays a role. I think these Blons are as good as the JVC HA-FDX01, arguably the best dynamic drivers on the market.
I see...I thought the BL-03 was too hyped and didn't pay too much attention but that's quite an interesting statement.
Regarding the IE40, isn't too bright? Comparing the frequency graph with the IE800S which is also bright for me, although at the borderline of being offensive, I see some spikes at 6, 8 and 13 khz and that's something I want to avoid based on the IE800S sound.

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #57 of 129
I see...I thought the BL-03 was too hyped and didn't pay too much attention but that's quite an interesting statement.
Regarding the IE40, isn't too bright? Comparing the frequency graph with the IE800S which is also bright for me, although at the borderline of being offensive, I see some spikes at 6, 8 and 13 khz and that's something I want to avoid based on the IE800S sound.
The peaks are discussed in mine/Biodegraded's double review: there is a high treble peak that some don't like. The ie40 is not particularly, which would point to peaks in the 4 kHz region. The Blons are brighter.

Jan 31, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #58 of 129
I use the IE500 PRO almost daily since July. I don't know why but on December my right earbud stopped working, so I sent them to Sennheiser Canada for a repair. Instead of a repair, I got a brand new pair. I don't have my first pair anymore, but having spent much time with them, I can confidently say the new ones I am using don't sound the same.

My first pair sounded pretty much like some of you say, great bass but lacking energy in upper mids. I admit I was not fully satisfied but still kept them, mostly for electro music. But this new pair I have, there is no lack anywhere anymore. Very neutral sound. Voices and strings have presence and sound nice and full now. Even the bass has improved: better controlled and that you feel even more, very very nice! I also noticed more details in music.

I find it strange Sennheiser would retune a product while it's out for sale, but it looks like that to me...

About the subject of this thread, I also spent time with the IE800S about a year ago. I don't have them anymore, but by memory, the sound of IE500 PRO (my actual pair, not the first one) and IE800S are very similar. What I remember most is how deep and controlled the IE800S bass was, which is how the IE500 PRO sound. Neutrality of sound and detail extraction seem on par also.

The IE800S cable is what killed them for me. Too much microphonics and too short for wearing over the ears. There is noise if you touch the IE500 PRO cable but it's totally bearable.

Isolation on both is so-so in my opinion. I almost only listen to music at home, but had an occasion to use the IE500 PRO on a plane and I could hear the sound of the engine almost as well with or without them...

Comfort is 10/10 with IE800S. The IE500 PRO are small and light as well, but there is a part that goes inside the ear canal that was a bit big for my ears. But over days and weeks, I would say that my ears simply submit to their shape and are very comfortable now. Good to wear in bed also.

So if you are someone interested in IE800S OR IE500 PRO, I would suggest the later. Similar sound, both great comfort, but now with a mostly non-microphonic and detachable cable, made of plastic instead of ceramic... but for 400$ less, and you also get a better transport case!

Jan 31, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #59 of 129
I use the IE500 PRO almost daily since July. I don't know why but on December my right earbud stopped working, so I sent them to Sennheiser Canada for a repair. Instead of a repair, I got a brand new pair. I don't have my first pair anymore, but having spent much time with them, I can confidently say the new ones I am using don't sound the same.

My first pair sounded pretty much like some of you say, great bass but lacking energy in upper mids. I admit I was not fully satisfied but still kept them, mostly for electro music. But this new pair I have, there is no lack anywhere anymore. Very neutral sound. Voices and strings have presence and sound nice and full now. Even the bass has improved: better controlled and that you feel even more, very very nice! I also noticed more details in music.

I find it strange Sennheiser would retune a product while it's out for sale, but it looks like that to me...

About the subject of this thread, I also spent time with the IE800S about a year ago. I don't have them anymore, but by memory, the sound of IE500 PRO (my actual pair, not the first one) and IE800S are very similar. What I remember most is how deep and controlled the IE800S bass was, which is how the IE500 PRO sound. Neutrality of sound and detail extraction seem on par also.

The IE800S cable is what killed them for me. Too much microphonics and too short for wearing over the ears. There is noise if you touch the IE500 PRO cable but it's totally bearable.

Isolation on both is so-so in my opinion. I almost only listen to music at home, but had an occasion to use the IE500 PRO on a plane and I could hear the sound of the engine almost as well with or without them...

Comfort is 10/10 with IE800S. The IE500 PRO are small and light as well, but there is a part that goes inside the ear canal that was a bit big for my ears. But over days and weeks, I would say that my ears simply submit to their shape and are very comfortable now. Good to wear in bed also.

So if you are someone interested in IE800S OR IE500 PRO, I would suggest the later. Similar sound, both great comfort, but now with a mostly non-microphonic and detachable cable, made of plastic instead of ceramic... but for 400$ less, and you also get a better transport case!
So or so too expensive. I talked to their German reps and pointed out the shortcomings. Good that they listen to there customers.

Feb 3, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #60 of 129

I inquired with Sennheiser, they replied: Hope you’re doing well. We definitely did not change the tuning of the [IE 500 PRO] headphones. We do have tight tolerances, but could be possible, that he got one pair from the bottom and one from the top tolerance level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back