Sennheiser HE-60 ''The Legendary Baby"
Sep 27, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #76 of 149
To add some life to the thread:

I very recently acquired an HE-60 in great condition. I am using it with a Stax SRM-717, in equally great condition. Really, really enjoyable with classical music so far. I decided to give it an extended run and resist the urge to compare it with my other headphones.

Where does the HE-60 fit into your listening experience? What music genres make you reach for it?

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #77 of 149
I think it a hidden gem. Only problem is the stupid plug that prevent you from connecting to proper diy Stax driver. To unlease it full potential, I mean the stock driver is ok. But nothing to ride home about.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #78 of 149
To add some life to the thread:

I very recently acquired an HE-60 in great condition. I am using it with a Stax SRM-717, in equally great condition. Really, really enjoyable with classical music so far. I decided to give it an extended run and resist the urge to compare it with my other headphones.

Where does the HE-60 fit into your listening experience? What music genres make you reach for it?

The HE-60 is really a niche headphone.. extremely lightweight in both it's fit and sound. Extremely airy, amazing vocals and lightning fast imaging and ultra resolving. But to your point, I have to put them on first thing in a session and refrain from comparing to the other TOTL headphones out there. Bass light and a bit thin in comparison.. but really really amazing still in its own right. Definitely best with acoustic, vocal heavy, complex music that doesn't have a heavy bass emphasis.

I've owned four of them and I'll never let this last pair go. Love them that much.

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #79 of 149
The earpads and headband of my HE-60 dry rotted. I got the replacement parts. How do I perform the "surgery" or just pull them off gently? Thought I ask before doing any damage. Thanks.

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #80 of 149
The earpads and headband of my HE-60 dry rotted. I got the replacement parts. How do I perform the "surgery" or just pull them off gently? Thought I ask before doing any damage. Thanks.
Just pull the old ones out and put the new ones in. The ear pads are held by thin plastic teeth. With a little force, the ear pad will come off ... then just snap the replacement pads inplace. Enjoy your HE 60's {or as it says on the side of my official Sennheiser HE 60 flightcase ... "Headphones For The Gods"}

Sep 4, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #81 of 149
Hello everyone, I've just acquired a HE-60 + matching amplifier that was "never used". Someone kept it inside the box for 30 years or so. Which is great, right?

The only problem is that the seller completely filled the thing with dust fingerprints when taking the photos for the ad... because the box was so full of dust after all those years, and then touching the headphone with it... yeah.

So I'm honestly pretty worried, considering these do not have a proper dust filter inside (or so I've been told) and therefore die extremely easy if a bit of dust sets in.

I'm covered by the paypal warranty, if they arrive and they make weird noises I will file a claim, however I worry that they will sound OK for the first day and then develop noises over time once that dust sets in....

Any thoughts? Also the pads are in very bad shape, but I have new ones coming soon.

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #82 of 149
Welcome to the HE-60 club, you won't be disappointed.
Question - if they were "kept inside the box for 30 years", where did the dust come from? If the box was closed for 30 years the only
source of dust would be from the inside some 30 years ago not the outside where dust originates, therefore negligible if any.
To keep dust from settling in then just keep then covered or in a case. I doubt if dust will be any issue.
However, I would suggest that you recable them to use with Stax or other amplifiers. I use a Kevin Gilmore Headamp KGSS amp.
These truly are "Headphones For The Gods"!

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #83 of 149
Welcome to the HE-60 club, you won't be disappointed.
Question - if they were "kept inside the box for 30 years", where did the dust come from? If the box was closed for 30 years the only
source of dust would be from the inside some 30 years ago not the outside where dust originates, therefore negligible if any.
To keep dust from settling in then just keep then covered or in a case. I doubt if dust will be any issue.
However, I would suggest that you recable them to use with Stax or other amplifiers. I use a Kevin Gilmore Headamp KGSS amp.
These truly are "Headphones For The Gods"!

The dust is clearly from holding/touching the dusty box that had been sitting untouched for 30 years. At a closet or basement or who knows. And then opening it up and touching the brand new headphones, obviously they get all dirty.

About the recabling, I'd prefer using an adaptor, but I'm in EU and can't find any for sale. I saw one in the Mjolnir Audio website, but importing it might cost me a fortune...

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #84 of 149
Hello everyone, I've just acquired a HE-60 + matching amplifier that was "never used". Someone kept it inside the box for 30 years or so. Which is great, right?

The only problem is that the seller completely filled the thing with dust fingerprints when taking the photos for the ad... because the box was so full of dust after all those years, and then touching the headphone with it... yeah.

So I'm honestly pretty worried, considering these do not have a proper dust filter inside (or so I've been told) and therefore die extremely easy if a bit of dust sets in.

I'm covered by the paypal warranty, if they arrive and they make weird noises I will file a claim, however I worry that they will sound OK for the first day and then develop noises over time once that dust sets in....

Any thoughts? Also the pads are in very bad shape, but I have new ones coming soon.
You only have 2 thing 2 worries about. Dust getting into the membrane and the caps in the driver definitely needs replacement.
Without them getting replaced, you will hear intermittent distorted sound when listen to them. This is speaking from experience.
Once replaced, with WIMA and Nichicon caps they'll be amazing again.

Sep 5, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #85 of 149
Anyone know how to remove the headband cushion. I don't want to break something I can't replace.
The pleater is totally flaked off and I want to send it off to Vespa Audio to custom make a lambskin one so I never need to replace it ever.
Like the new earpads, thicker lamb skin with memory foam and cool gel. Sound is improved, larger soundstage and warmer bass.

PXL_20220902_220445294.jpg

Sep 5, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #86 of 149
You only have 2 thing 2 worries about. Dust getting into the membrane and the caps in the driver definitely needs replacement.
Without them getting replaced, you will hear intermittent distorted sound when listen to them. This is speaking from experience.
Once replaced, with WIMA and Nichicon caps they'll be amazing again.

What do you think of them compared to the Stax that you own? And compared to the he90?

Also, I don't plan on using the hev70. I have an iFi iESL energizer + vintage class A amp, which is what I use to drive my Stax with. I only need to find the adapter cable for sale somewhere in EU...

Sep 5, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #87 of 149
The HE60 are like HD600 on steroids, lightening fast, very lean but not fatiguing. (Stock)
They aren't as layback sounding as the HE90, the HE90 are much more colored compared to the HE60.

Sep 5, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #88 of 149
Anyone know how to remove the headband cushion. I don't want to break something I can't replace.
The pleater is totally flaked off and I want to send it off to Vespa Audio to custom make a lambskin one so I never need to replace it ever.
Like the new earpads, thicker lamb skin with memory foam and cool gel. Sound is improved, larger soundstage and warmer bass.

PXL_20220902_220445294.jpg
Remove the plastic lip at the end of the headband and the foam piece can slide out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back