Sennheiser HE-60 ''The Legendary Baby"
Apr 19, 2017 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 149

protoss

Headphoneus Supremus
rogo.jpg

SENNHEISER - A German manufacturer, established in 1945. Sennheiser first headphone was the first open-air headphones HD-414, it was introduced in Japan in the early 1970.

1991 Sennheiser decided to released a Statement product. A product system that no other company can match and compete with, it was called Sennheiser HE90 at a price of $12,000.

Christmas 1993 Sennheiser decided to release a more affordable Orpheus. And they did. it was Called Sennheiser HE60. It was a limited edition model
HE60.jpg

Highlights:
- diaphragm consists of an ultra-thin sheet of polymer vaporized in gold
- The HE60 was sold with its amplifier, the HEV70.
- Resembles the HD580 series
- Electrostatic transducer

Specifications:

■ Price 220,000 yen. Todays price $2129.37
■ Model electret static type open air type
■ Diaphragm
■ Impedance 300Ω
■ Reproduction frequency band 12-65,000Hz (-10dB) Amplifier 10-20,000Hz (-1dB)
■ Code 3m OFC
■ Weight 210g Amp unknown
■ Released December 1993

Sennheiser released 3 Condenser type headphone systems
1. Unipolar-2000 (1979)
2. Orpheus HE90/HEV90 (1991)
3. HE60/HEV70 (1993)

The Sennheiser HE-60 aka Baby Orpheus is Sennheiser second at its time electrostatic headphone. The other Sennheiser electrostatic headphone is called the HE-90. The HE-60 was supposed to be the affordable top tier Sennheiser headphone until the HD800 was released. The latest and current Sennheiser electrostatic headphone is called the HE-1.

Sennheiser HE-60 Design: Sennheiser HE-60 is an identical HD-580/600/650 body housing. If you own any one of Sennheiser headphones you be right at home with the Baby Orpheus. The major difference will be is that the HE-60 is an electrostatic headphone and thus require an electrostatic headphone amplifier.

he60.jpeg

The weakest link for the HE-60 is surprisingly the amplifier that is supposed to be pair with!
Once properly amplified with a 3rd party amplifier, The Baby Orpheus can quickly grow up to be an adult Orpheus in no time.

Sennheiser HE-60 Sound: Mids king? Maybe? Slightly on the bright side. Slightly thin and lack impact. This is not a warm and coloration headphone almost the opposite. Slightly bass light. No harshness, treble is controlled, grain-free, and the Sound stage is excellent.
Overall, an extremely tuneup version of the HD600. A very balanced and neutral beautiful headphone.
HE60HEV70.jpg

The heart of this system is a revolutionary diaphragm made of a foil polymer material which is then vapor coated with gold one molecule thick on either side. This material and gold coating process reduces the mass associated with typical electrostatic diaphragms, which in turn decreases signal response time for greatly increased inner musical detail.

Supporting this completely open-back headphone driver system is a pair of highly insulating polymer-fiber counter-electrodes, also gold coated on the outermost sides for voltage polarization. The HE60 has been given opulent ear cushions and headband made of leather and velvet ensuring hours of listening comfort.

(Sennheiser official report on the HE-60)

HEV70 AMPLIFIER
Amplification Principle: High-Voltage Class-A Mos-Fet
Frequency Response: 10 - 20,000 Hz
Voltage Output: 400 Volts
Weight: 26.46 oz.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 149
I heard these and their big brother many years ago. I felt that the amp was under powered (same issue that the Koss ones have) I think most people there felt the same way, I always wondered how much better they could sound with a better amp. I recall that they had a plug that was different from the Orpheus and Stax headphones at that time.

Trust me, I really wanted to plug these into the big tube Orpheus amp, but sadly I couldn't.

Thanks for the memories!

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 149
History edits 1

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 149
History edits 2

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 149
Absolutely right on the EQ. I notice when I EQ the HD800, it's sounds great but fake almost. Almost feels like it's taking away the magic of the headphone. I am in the mindset of if you have to EQ any headphone than it is a crappy headphone.

I wonder if you like the HD800s? It seems like you like killer detail headphones? And if you want to go Staxs for some killer details try out the L700. It is somewhat more affordable than most Staxs.

I have a HD800 with me, and they are some great headphones, I put them on, and wow... sounds amazing, but some songs later I'm almost always thinking I wonder how this song sounds on the he60. I use my HE60 almost 90 percent of the time, so that should tell me what I need to know, I guess. and yes the STAX L700 are on my interest list, I 'v heard a bit about them, only thing is I never found the lambda shape comfortable enough so even if they are really good I don't think I will be able to enjoy them, if you know what I mean. :)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 149
Hi all, new to the community... I would like to say that I agree entirely with all observations made during this thread... especially when thebrunx says: "... the pianos man that's where they are". Oftentimes when focusing on the piano there is a great sense of what I might consider ideal reproduction: that being the complete transparency, as if the equipment between the instrument and the ear is simply not present. I have often been surprised by the level of detail communicated through the HE60's... including the concussive force of the hammer on the string, the pace of the transients and the sustain of the note. Stringed instrumentation such as the violin or cello are represented at a similar level of realism. I am a big fan of the way in which the HE60's resolve complex orchestral pieces. At times, during live performances one can get a real sense of the acoustics of the individual environment. Up to now, I have only experienced these phones using the HEV70... so I am very grateful for the input of all in suggesting equipment which may enhance my listening experience with this special set of headphones.

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #9 of 149
and after Longer experience, I would Like to add that there is no way I would ever replace a HE60 for a HD800 regardless of price. No, not even close. For me, HD800 is just another good headphone. And the HE60 is an Ideal headphone, and all that remains is to keep upgrading the rest of the chain. I was only happy listening to the HD800 because I knew I have the HE60 with me, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 149
HE60 and Edition X v2 (HEX) are the 2 main headphones for me atm.
They complement each other by being each others opposite. The HE60 is bright, the HEX is dark; the HE60 is analytic, the HEX laid-back. Both are true quality headphones.

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 149
History edits 4

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 149
I'd probably say something I shoudn't, but being the music lover/audionoob I am I still will:
Bought a Schiit loki mini (tone control) which helps me out changing the tone of the HEV70 like I want to without physically changing the HE60 / needing to invest in a new amp.

A bit more bass, a bit less treble and oh my ...
The HEV70 can handle it since it does not distort at all and the Loki mini only changes the tonal curve.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #15 of 149
Hey guys, utter NOOB here, I had a good read of all the comments, which are making me drool! Esp, the one about how the HE-60 crushes the HD-800, I own the Stax SR-007 Mk. II and do like it, but it is sometimes too romantic a sound signature for me. I think the HE-60 will remedy that quite well. Is modding the HE-60 a relatively simple option and would a Stax pro bias connector work on Stax SRM amps? I have experience with the Stax SRM-006Tii, it drove my SR-007 Mk. II well but overall the sound was too lush! Wondering if anyone on the forum has had first-hand experience with of a modded HE-60 with the Stax SRM-006Tii (or another variant)?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back