Sennheiser HE-60 ''The Legendary Baby"
Nov 2, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #106 of 149
I'm still enjoying mine. These are probably the most enjoyable headphones I own, and have replaced my Stax Lambda Signature as my daily driver. However I think they are overpriced in comparison to the Lambda Signature, as you can have the Stax for 500-600usd and has higher resolution across the board.

The thing is... the HE60 just sounds correct. The tonality is just right. It's as if someone just slightly dialed in the tonality with a small knob until it was completely perfect :)

I'm sad I don't have an original box for them. The cable has been completely replaced for a Stax one (with the 5M ballast inside of course) and I use them at exactly 540V thanks to the iFi iESL. To power them I use a pair of 1981 Stax Class A 50W monoblock speaker amps (the best amps I've ever heard) and an ancient Sony DAC from 1985 as my source.

I also believe, as with all estats, if you leave them plugged in for a couple hours or three before listening, they sound better.
I am glad you are. I never had the opportunity to get my hands on a pair until now. They are indeed very absorbing and easy listening. :)

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #107 of 149
Can you take photos of your cable?
I'm wondering if there are any visual differences to mine, as I too have Stax cable but I am unsure whether there's any resistor inside and/or where it would actually be located.

Also, you say you have some sort of imbalanced on your unit? How is it possible that by leaving it plugged in, the imbalance is gone?

I don't have a photo right now but it's the latest, thickest black cable made by Stax (not the early 80's thin one). It's the same one you'd see on a Stax 404LE, for example.

Also, you say you have some sort of imbalanced on your unit? How is it possible that by leaving it plugged in, the imbalance is gone?

Because the imbalance is caused by the coating fading away on one of the drivers, NOT because a driver is faulty (otherwise the imbalance would be permanent, in which case the headphone is as good as junk).

If you leave it plugged in for 10 minutes or so, the charge on both drivers has gone up to the point where both can output the same amount of volume.
And if you leave it plugged in for an hour or so before listening it also just sounds better, probably for the same reason. QUAD actually recommended that their speakers should always be plugged in, or that you wait 24h before listening if you just plugged them in. It's for the same reason.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #108 of 149
I am glad you are. I never had the opportunity to get my hands on a pair until now. They are indeed very absorbing and easy listening. :)

How would you compare it to the Shangri La JR? Someone almost convinced me to sell my he-60 to buy a shangri la jr that i saw on ebay for 2.5k... but i didnt since i've never tried one yet.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #109 of 149
How would you compare it to the Shangri La JR? Someone almost convinced me to sell my he-60 to buy a shangri la jr that i saw on ebay for 2.5k... but i didnt since i've never tried one yet.

Hmmm… I think the Shangrila Jr is closer to the Omega/LNS kind of sound signature. Frankly, if you could have both, they would be nicely complementary.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #110 of 149
Hmmm… I think the Shangrila Jr is closer to the Omega/LNS kind of sound signature. Frankly, if you could have both, they would be nicely complementary.

Have you compared the LNS to the 1987 Lambda Signature? The latter one, with the 1 micron driver, is the one I own. I read somewhere that the LNS is inferior so I'm curious as to why you have both (and if I need one ) :stuck_out_tongue:

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #111 of 149
I don't have a photo right now but it's the latest, thickest black cable made by Stax (not the early 80's thin one). It's the same one you'd see on a Stax 404LE, for example.

Because the imbalance is caused by the coating fading away on one of the drivers, NOT because a driver is faulty (otherwise the imbalance would be permanent, in which case the headphone is as good as junk).

If you leave it plugged in for 10 minutes or so, the charge on both drivers has gone up to the point where both can output the same amount of volume.
And if you leave it plugged in for an hour or so before listening it also just sounds better, probably for the same reason. QUAD actually recommended that their speakers should always be plugged in, or that you wait 24h before listening if you just plugged them in. It's for the same reason.

I've experienced this with older stats, but have never saw this explanation. I don't doubt you at all, but is this common knowledge that has been sourced anywhere or shared frequently? But again, never knew why, and if that's the case, explains a few things. Glad I came across the post.

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #112 of 149
I've experienced this with older stats, but have never saw this explanation. I don't doubt you at all, but is this common knowledge that has been sourced anywhere or shared frequently? But again, never knew why, and if that's the case, explains a few things. Glad I came across the post.

I don't know if it's common knowledge or not, usually the imbalance is caused by driver damage (holes in membrane or diaphragm stuck to stator) which means the imbalance is present regardless of how long its been plugged in for (a much worse case than simply the coating being worn off). I just knew about it because at some point some time ago someone told me about it, but it sure wasn't here (I'm not a frequent Headfi poster).

Maybe if you ask Spritzer he will confirm / explain more about it.

Nov 3, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #113 of 149
I don't know if it's common knowledge or not, usually the imbalance is caused by driver damage (holes in membrane or diaphragm stuck to stator) which means the imbalance is present regardless of how long its been plugged in for (a much worse case than simply the coating being worn off). I just knew about it because at some point some time ago someone told me about it, but it sure wasn't here (I'm not a frequent Headfi poster).

Maybe if you ask Spritzer he will confirm / explain more about it.
So how do you unstick the membrane from stator?

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #114 of 149
So how do you unstick the membrane from stator?

That's an uncommon thing to happen but I've had it happen with a very badly damaged Stax Sigma and a pretty crusty Lambda Pro.

First you unplug it (of course) and you touch the 5 or 6 pins of the plug with your thumb, you should hear a crackle coming from the drivers, now it's shorted out and completely discharged. Afterwards you remove the cups from the headband so you can have free movement with it. You place it down (earpad face down) on a completely flat surface like a wooden desk or a glass table and with the palm of your hand you press on it kind of like you would with a plunger. Not extremely hard but you're supposed to apply sudden pressure onto it a couple times or three and it might fart a little bit. This might sound like you're killing it but it does actually unstick the membranes from the stators in many occasions. Plug it in and test. If after a couple tries it's still stuck there's something else going on, but for the majority of cases, this will fix a Stax headphone that has a big amount of imbalance.

Of course, try this at your own risk. It worked for me and for others. Only do this if you are certain your membrane is stuck.

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #115 of 149
The idea of this procedure is horrifying but it sounds like it might work :scream:

Nov 3, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #116 of 149
I don't think I'd dare try it on a HE-60. But on Stax it does work.

EDIT: I see you had and sold a HE90? And kept a HE60? I'm very interested in the reasoning behind that!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #117 of 149
I don't think I'd dare try it on a HE-60. But on Stax it does work.

EDIT: I see you had and sold a HE90? And kept a HE60? I'm very interested in the reasoning behind that!

Reason is very simple - i've overestimated my financials with that one.
Thus I've bought the HE60 to get close to many of the qualities of HE90... For perhaps a third of the price. A poor man's choice, if you will. And I ain't got those HE1 monies yet.
I'll be happy with HE60 too. Just gotta discover the right chain. :)

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #118 of 149
Reason is very simple - i've overestimated my financials with that one.
Thus I've bought the HE60 to get close to many of the qualities of HE90... For perhaps a third of the price. A poor man's choice, if you will. And I ain't got those HE1 monies yet.
I'll be happy with HE60 too. Just gotta discover the right chain. :)

I don't think many people in the world have HE1 monies. I also don't think it's worth it. Of course I haven't heard it... but the price point is ridiculous and I bet the HE90 on a big ol' class A speaker amp is just better.

As for the HE90. I've always wanted to hear one, but I also read some people prefer HE60 because it sounds more neutral while HE90 is more tuned towards classical music and vocal music and not much more. Do you think this is true?

I'm aware of diminishing returns, but 2k for the HE60 vs 15K for a HE90... it's a really big difference in price. My mind keeps telling me it cannot possibly be worth it, BUT... :thinking:

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #119 of 149
IMO, worth the price difference? No due to diminishing returns.But in my opinion it’s not just flavors. The 90 is better than the 60.

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #120 of 149
The thing is, considering the 90 is around 15k used and the 60 is between 1 and 2k, i'd really really hope the 90 is way better. Again I'm aware of diminishing returns, but that's a really massive difference in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back