Sennheiser HE-60 ''The Legendary Baby"
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #31 of 149
Happy owner now :
ff7c9a6dc5c3894511e56b731294de8e2abc4dbd.jpg

It's a Sennheiser under the head-acoustics rebranding :wink:
I won't tell you the (absence of) price :D I've paid stax recabling (with resistors) and earpads :xf_eek:

Ali

Sep 28, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #33 of 149
Yeah, they were maybe my last chase in the hobby.
They scale insanely with amping, a marvel on my BHSE.
OK they may be harsh in the highs sometimes, and a bit on the light side looking at bass, but he air, the midrange, the imaging, the realism...incredible...

Ali

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #34 of 149
Congrats @Ali-Pacha .

There's a peak around 10khz. Once fixed by EQ, all the harshness we can feel sometimes is gone. Surely bass is on the light side but it's more a matter of impact than a real lack of bass in my humble opinion. I even listen to some EDM with my own HE60 and it's fine. But yea, magic is in the mids and imaging/soundstage with this Baby Orpheus :)

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #35 of 149
I have a set of HE60 and HEV70 that haven't been used for a couple of years. Is it normal for the HE60 to give loud scratchy sound with pops and ticks? It was really bad the first time I fired them up again. Now the noise only happens during the first 5 minutes from a cold start. After that they settle down and sound great. Thanks.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #36 of 149
nope. Not normal. Mine is dead silent. The best would be to test the headphone from a Stax amp to see if the issue is due to the amplifier or your headphone itself.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #37 of 149
nope. Not normal. Mine is dead silent. The best would be to test the headphone from a Stax amp to see if the issue is due to the amplifier or your headphone itself.

Unfortunately I don't have a Stax amp for testing.

The pads on mine are dry rotting. I suspect some of the particles may get on to the panels and causing issues. How can I make sure the panels are clean?

Oct 17, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #38 of 149
@babyoh
I’ve had a similar issue with my HEV70 some years ago. Sent it to the Sennheiser head office in Wedemark that had no problems repairing it. The chief technician I had email contact with told me that this was a known problem caused by aging parts. It worked just fine afterwards but I never used it much as I listen to the HE60 from a HEV90, KGSSHV, or 007t2.
The idea of testing it on another amp is a good one, though, as the problem you are experiencing could also be caused by very small amounts of debris between a stator and the diaphragm.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #39 of 149
@babyoh : if you're in EU, I suggest you to contact Inexxon.de . Or maybe Mjolnir audio if you're outside EU. Both are reputable and aknowledged guyz.

Oct 18, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #42 of 149
About 10 years ago I sent an email to Sennheiser USA asking if they would work on an HE60, and they said yes. But that was 10 years ago. I suggest you ask them directly, they've been pretty good at answering back in my experience. I guess it also depends on spare parts availability.

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #44 of 149
If you find out let us know, really interested to know how they deal with headphones this old or if at all.
I was at my local headphone store yesterday and the owner had just received a pair from one of his customers. They were in need of reconditioning - flaking pads, occasional scratchy sound in one channel likely due to the amp. Nevertheless, we were both impressed. Great soundstage, good detail, rich sound. I liked them better than the HD800. I understand they are available used for around 1500 euro, which seems an excellent deal, even if they need reconditioning. He will be working with Sennheiser to get it done for this pair

We both wondered if Sennheiser would release something like this again.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #45 of 149
HE60 with a good turntable is the pinnacle of sound reproduction. Thank me later.

With the caveat that the records need to be Excellent to Mint condition and the records pre mid 1980's. Allot of vg- being passed off as vg++ on discogs imo. I can get away with vg- on my apm-4's. I can not get away with vg++ on my hd800's and 404le. Even with a nitty gritty 1.0, Last rcm fluid and plenty of scrubbing.

Just me but I think this part is critical and should be taken into account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back