Sennheiser HE-60 ''The Legendary Baby"
Jul 17, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #16 of 149
I ran my own HE60 from a SRM-T1 (I had a DIY adaptator HE60 to Stax plug) and the result was decent to my ears. Surely it's not up to BHSE/HE60 level but still decent.

modding the HE60 implies to put a resistor in the cable and a stax plug. in my opinion it's easier to use an adaptator.

Unfortunately for me, my H60 cable broke and I asked a pro to fix it. We agreed to make a complete change of cable and adapt a complete Stax cable + the neeeded resistor so I don't need anymore a brand new adaptator I asked him to build a few weeks before. If someone is interested just shoot me a PM :)

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #17 of 149
I ran my own HE60 from a SRM-T1 (I had a DIY adaptator HE60 to Stax plug) and the result was decent to my ears. Surely it's not up to BHSE/HE60 level but still decent.

modding the HE60 implies to put a resistor in the cable and a stax plug. in my opinion it's easier to use an adaptator.

Unfortunately for me, my H60 cable broke and I asked a pro to fix it. We agreed to make a complete change of cable and adapt a complete Stax cable + the neeeded resistor so I don't need anymore a brand new adaptator I asked him to build a few weeks before. If someone is interested just shoot me a PM :)
Sorrodje,
Nice, so the resistor and Stax plug can be done and will likely be a big improvement over, amp-wise, anyways, at least over the Sennheiser bundled Baby Orpheus amp that comes with the HE-60?
That definitely answers my question on the scalability of the HE-60 when either used with an adaptor or re-cabled with a Stax pro bias plug. Would you mind uploading pictures of your pro's handiwork?
Thanks for the info!

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #18 of 149
Actually the only option is to put a Stax cable and the added resistor. I think there're very few aftermarket Stax compatible plugs and they're bad from what I remember . So the only valuable mod is to solder a whole Stax cable and add the resistor in the cup. that's what Inexxon.de made for me.

But it's safer/easier to use an adapter whe, the Original cable is still OK.

You want pics of my modded HE60 or the adapter ? :)

Jul 17, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #19 of 149
Actually the only option is to put a Stax cable and the added resistor. I think there're very few aftermarket Stax compatible plugs and they're bad from what I remember . So the only valuable mod is to solder a whole Stax cable and add the resistor in the cup. that's what Inexxon.de made for me.

But it's safer/easier to use an adapter whe, the Original cable is still OK.

You want pics of my modded HE60 or the adapter ? :)
Would love pictures of both! So, excuse me for the battery of questions I am about to unleash upon you:

1. How is the comfort of the HE-60 compared to its lesser stablemates, eg the HD-600 and HD-650? My guess that clamp and padding are quite similar, no? I found that over time I quite liked the weight distribution and pads of my HD-650.

2. How would you compare against the Stax SR-009, Koss ESP950 (I own this one, but amp it from the SRM-006Tii with an adaptor cable)? What electrostatic amplification do you use?

3. I checked the site you photos you sent me. Very cool, plus he (I assume it is a gentleman, but if a lady, more power!) has a TOTL electrostatic amp under development for Stax pro bais headphones at the moment. I did not see any mention of cable modding for the Sennheiser HD-60, but I suppose a PM or an intro from you would solve that. Did you have to send him the headphone to Germany? Maybe you are located in Germany!

4. I am seeing that there are some second-hand units of the HE-60 floating around on www.ebay.de, they are priced around Euro 1,500 to 1,650 for a decently well maintained one, do you think that this is a value proposition for one, being a (long-term) owner yourself?

I heard these and their big brother many years ago. I felt that the amp was under powered (same issue that the Koss ones have) I think most people there felt the same way, I always wondered how much better they could sound with a better amp. I recall that they had a plug that was different from the Orpheus and Stax headphones at that time.

I assume that the amp is probably the main culprit in the lack of enthusiasm for this headphone? I hope that this is the case!

Cheers!

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #21 of 149
Spritzer has a short adapter cable for sale on his page. It has the resistor in place. If are thinking of picking up an he60.. I am assuming the he60 uses the same plug as the he90.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #22 of 149
Spritzer has a short adapter cable for sale on his page. It has the resistor in place. If are thinking of picking up an he60.. I am assuming the he60 uses the same plug as the he90.
Thanks, I think the adaptor for the HE-60 is different from that of the HE-90. The HE-90 has a round plug, the HE-60 has a weird off-kilter rectangular plug. Spitzer has the adaptors for the HE-90 to Stax pro bias connections on his site. I wish I could even conceive of the idea of being open to buy the HE-90. Gulp! Unfortunately, I need food, clothes and a roof over my head! Darnit! :cry:

Jul 18, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #23 of 149
HE60 and HE90 plugs are different indeed.

- the Baby Orpheus is much lighter that the HD6.. series and clamps less. Consequently it disappears much more once on your head.
- Different beast compared to 009 and ESP950. the HE60 sounds a tad more romantic than the Stax with less forward much lusher mids. Bass are more impactful on the Stax even if I think both headphones offer the same amount of bass. In term of soundstage, the 009 is again more forward and less open than the HE60 . the baby orpheus offer a more natural presentation (but less pin point imaging ) and more of a "borderless" infiinite soundstage . it's quite impressive actually. I didnt like much the Koss I found too soft and boring when i owned it. Don"t expect the planar weight and slam from the HE60 though. it's still a Stat.
- I 'm from France and I indeed had to send my HE60 in Germany
- Buying a HE60 is a dangerous affair. A few apparently good offers are actually fakes from crooks. A lot of HE60 for sale exhibit worn and flaked pads and in that case the sound is mostly destroyed. I think new original pads are available here or there but it won't last long. Really good HE60 are rare but not impossible to find.

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #24 of 149
HE60 and HE90 plugs are different indeed.

- the Baby Orpheus is much lighter that the HD6.. series and clamps less. Consequently it disappears much more once on your head.
- Different beast compared to 009 and ESP950. the HE60 sounds a tad more romantic than the Stax with less forward much lusher mids. Bass are more impactful on the Stax even if I think both headphones offer the same amount of bass. In term of soundstage, the 009 is again more forward and less open than the HE60 . the baby orpheus offer a more natural presentation (but less pin point imaging ) and more of a "borderless" infiinite soundstage . it's quite impressive actually. I didnt like much the Koss I found too soft and boring when i owned it. Don"t expect the planar weight and slam from the HE60 though. it's still a Stat.
- I 'm from France and I indeed had to send my HE60 in Germany
- Buying a HE60 is a dangerous affair. A few apparently good offers are actually fakes from crooks. A lot of HE60 for sale exhibit worn and flaked pads and in that case the sound is mostly destroyed. I think new original pads are available here or there but it won't last long. Really good HE60 are rare but not impossible to find.
Awesome! What I was hoping for, I wanted something that has the warmer sound signature of the Stax SR-007 Mk. ii, but does not go overboard with the bass, I find that that the 007s are heavy bass at times which obscures the midrange. I have lots of experience with the Koss ESP950, I actually like these, but only after the amp upgrade and an ear pad upgrade. I will be careful when selecting a unit from the used market.
Really appreciate your help, merci mon frere, allez les bleus!

Aug 25, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #25 of 149
Awesome! What I was hoping for, I wanted something that has the warmer sound signature of the Stax SR-007 Mk. ii, but does not go overboard with the bass, I find that that the 007s are heavy bass at times which obscures the midrange. I have lots of experience with the Koss ESP950, I actually like these, but only after the amp upgrade and an ear pad upgrade. I will be careful when selecting a unit from the used market.
Really appreciate your help, merci mon frere, allez les bleus!

I have the HE 60 and am currently listening to it through my KGSS amp - an amazing aural experience!

Aug 25, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #26 of 149
Cool, do you have other electrostatic headphones to compare the HE-60 to? Very jealous. I assume you have an adaptor cable for the HE-60 to the KGSS? Running a Venture Electronics E Lite electrostatic amp with the Koss ESP950 and the Stax SR-007 MKii, still, would love to hear these guys...someday...hopefully at a meet, someone will have them for a listen. :)

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #28 of 149
Ahhh, never mind, just saw your very impressive list. :) If you had to rate the HE-60 within that very distinguished list, where do you think it would fall?

1st - it's my go to headphone much of the time. Then I would go with the HD 800 and the AKG K1000 and not necessarily in that order.
You might be able to get an HE 60 from Europe, but beware as there are fake ones out there.

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #29 of 149
1st - it's my go to headphone much of the time. Then I would go with the HD 800 and the AKG K1000 and not necessarily in that order.

Considering that, one would think it'd be wise to sell most of the other gear to invest in higher end amps and a higher end DAC.

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #30 of 149
Considering that, one would think it'd be wise to sell most of the other gear to invest in higher end amps and a higher end DAC.

Guys, I would agree with that, but I have to admit that sometimes it is hard to give up on the headphones you loved and appreciated on your journey to the endgame Stax/Orpheus/Baby Orpheus. If I had to choose between the K1000 and a TOTL electrostatic headphone, it would be tough, because the K1000 does not sound like any headphone I have ever heard and I mean that in the best way possible, and I have heard the new big rig Orpheus in a quiet room. So, I have put my money where my mouth is and ordered the new MySphere 3.2, the successor to the K1000!
Would love to have the BHSE to power - if I can get a good used unit - the HE-60, Koss ESP950 (just because it was my first electrostatic headphone and really opened my eyes to the electrostatic sound), SR0997 Mkii (which I know is quite coloured but I simply love the way it slams on dance and hip-hop) and, eventually, the SR-009s.
Charliex: Is it safe to buy the HE-60 off eBay, I do see brick and mortar audio stores selling it and they seem to have impeccable feedback? Or should I just scour the want ads on Head-Fi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back