Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jun 4, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #841 of 3,016
Quote:
That's up to you, they're basically screaming "YOU NEED AFTERMARKET POWER CABLEZZZZ" which I don't like as there is no proof that it helps (and wiring in your house is ****ty (and if you have a custom-build audiophile-house the wiring in your street is still ****ty)). And the Mytek + V200 combo was actually more expensive than the HDVD800 so it's not a matter of budget too. I also heard that they don't include a USB cable... They're just turning evil and the fancy glass crap doesn't interest me at all, the glass let's interference through (AFAIK) and it makes the unit quite fragile too.

If whether a product comes with a power cable or not is the final straw that makes you not want to buy it, then you were probably looking for excuses not to get it to begin with. Sure, it might be a bit cheap of them not to bundle a USB cable, but since the person buying a $2000 amp probably is an audiophile, then that person probably has all the cables they need already. I can't bring myself to get worked up about it. Saying that they're "turning evil" is hyperbole. If they were really serious about screwing over customers they would have proprietary connectors instead of 4 pin xlr, and they would've invented a new USB port and require that you buy their cables. There's a ton of ways to screw over customers that we see all the time in the tech world. Not including a USB cable ranks pretty low on the list of bad things you can do.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #842 of 3,016
Or you could stretch that budget $2 more and by a power cable. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #843 of 3,016
so I just got the hdvd800, what balanced audio cable would you guys recommend? Atm having a moon audio cable (jack) which I am rather content with, should I buy a balanced one of moonaudio etc or buy the sennheiser one?

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #844 of 3,016
I have a balanced moon audio black dragon cable, it should be a good cable however is seems simply don't match with the setup. the highs are so fatigue to listen to, and turn out i am using the stock factory single end cable for now and planning to get the sennheiser balanced cable when it is available.

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #845 of 3,016
Quote:
so I just got the hdvd800, what balanced audio cable would you guys recommend? Atm having a moon audio cable (jack) which I am rather content with, should I buy a balanced one of moonaudio etc or buy the sennheiser one?

Depends on your need. If you are a cable person and believe the cable can increase the performance of the system, then by all means, get some good quality silver cables for what has been claims increased in sound stage. If you are non-believer, then just get the one that has better connector and build qualities that last longer.

The cheapest way to do it, is to get a 5 dollar 4-pin XLR form Neutrik and reterminate the stock cable. 

Just bare it in mind, the balance HD800 does sounds much better on HDVD800 compare to the single ended one. I have AB is using mine and my friend's stock version.

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #846 of 3,016
Quote:
That's up to you, they're basically screaming "YOU NEED AFTERMARKET POWER CABLEZZZZ" which I don't like as there is no proof that it helps (and wiring in your house is ****ty (and if you have a custom-build audiophile-house the wiring in your street is still ****ty)). And the Mytek + V200 combo was actually more expensive than the HDVD800 so it's not a matter of budget too. I also heard that they don't include a USB cable... They're just turning evil and the fancy glass crap doesn't interest me at all, the glass let's interference through (AFAIK) and it makes the unit quite fragile too.

Well, My DAC 1 comes with nothing but papers inside. My RPX-35 comes with nothing but papers inside. I am trying to get something form RSA and they told me it will be coming with the unit itself and some paper inside. I guess if everyone else is doing it in the industry, sennheiser might just as well go with the market.
The thing is, if they do have some normal power and USB cable inside, some other ppl in headfi will say they do not need it, and plz lower the price and get rid of the useless "Cheap" cable. It like if they sell a "Deluxe" edition of HDVD800 for 100 bucks more that comes with all the optical,usb, RCA and power cables, I think most of the ppl will not buy it.

Hence, just do not make too much of a deal out of it, as a profitable company, they do sometimes want to make more profit~~~~:p

P.S.
I do wish they come with all the cables so that I do not need to make every single one of them~~~~~Just finish making my RCAs, now is the USB~~

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #847 of 3,016
Quote:
Depends on your need. If you are a cable person and believe the cable can increase the performance of the system, then by all means, get some good quality silver cables for what has been claims increased in sound stage. If you are non-believer, then just get the one that has better connector and build qualities that last longer.

The cheapest way to do it, is to get a 5 dollar 4-pin XLR form Neutrik and reterminate the stock cable. 

Just bare it in mind, the balance HD800 does sounds much better on HDVD800 compare to the single ended one. I have AB is using mine and my friend's stock version.

what xlr cable do you have alanhell?

edit: nevermind just clicked on your profile and saw you made your own

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #848 of 3,016
Quote:
what xlr cable do you have alanhell?

edit: nevermind just clicked on your profile and saw you made your own

I am not a cable guy, so when it comes with cable, as long as it is not a downgrade of my stock cable in specs, I am fine with it.

If you wanna save budget, this is the one to go:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221219807298?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If you want it to look good with your system, get the stock HD800 balance cable.

If you are a strong cable believer, DHC, Moon Audio, Headroom, ALO and Stefan are the place to look. I have no previous experience of super expensive cables before (1000+), so I can not tell weather or not there is improvement. I think it is what you have to decide since there is no way you can try them before you buy it unless you have some super rich headfi friends~~~~~

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #849 of 3,016
ordered the stock cable, wanted to go with toxic cables but I don't want to wait 4 months :x that and my moon cable cost me too much with the import duties.

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #850 of 3,016
Quote:
ordered the stock cable, wanted to go with toxic cables but I don't want to wait 4 months :x that and my moon cable cost me too much with the import duties.

lol, when you get it, plz post some photos with the system, if they do look very nice, I might get one as well~~~~~~

P.S.
How good is the IE800 on the HDVD800 amp?

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #851 of 3,016
Quote:
lol, when you get it, plz post some photos with the system, if they do look very nice, I might get one as well~~~~~~

P.S.
How good is the IE800 on the HDVD800 amp?

will try tomorrow, going to bed soon.

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #852 of 3,016
Quote:
I am not a cable guy, so when it comes with cable, as long as it is not a downgrade of my stock cable in specs, I am fine with it.

If you wanna save budget, this is the one to go:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221219807298?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If you want it to look good with your system, get the stock HD800 balance cable.

If you are a strong cable believer, DHC, Moon Audio, Headroom, ALO and Stefan are the place to look. I have no previous experience of super expensive cables before (1000+), so I can not tell weather or not there is improvement. I think it is what you have to decide since there is no way you can try them before you buy it unless you have some super rich headfi friends~~~~~

I am not really a cable guy, but since I have invested in the HDVD800 i decided to take a shot and ordered an aftermarket cable from Q-Audio to gain:
   1. Balanced XLR 4 pin termination
   2. Loooonger cable than standard - I need 6 meters for my needs
   3. A smoother and lighter and more flexible cable than what I have today, increasing the comfort for the user
I will have it in a couple of weeks and then report back my findings...

About including power cables in the original package: I live in Sweden and there was no cable in my box. I guess that a niche product like HDVD800 is not made in big volumes and since all countries need different plugs for their power cable, this might also be a practicle reason why it is not included, especially valid for small markets/countries like Sweden. Just my two cents... 

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #853 of 3,016
Quote:
Well, My DAC 1 comes with nothing but papers inside. My RPX-35 comes with nothing but papers inside. I am trying to get something form RSA and they told me it will be coming with the unit itself and some paper inside. I guess if everyone else is doing it in the industry, sennheiser might just as well go with the market.
The thing is, if they do have some normal power and USB cable inside, some other ppl in headfi will say they do not need it, and plz lower the price and get rid of the useless "Cheap" cable. It like if they sell a "Deluxe" edition of HDVD800 for 100 bucks more that comes with all the optical,usb, RCA and power cables, I think most of the ppl will not buy it.

Hence, just do not make too much of a deal out of it, as a profitable company, they do sometimes want to make more profit~~~~:p

P.S.
I do wish they come with all the cables so that I do not need to make every single one of them~~~~~Just finish making my RCAs, now is the USB~~

My Violectric V200 came with a power cable.
My Mytek Stereo 192 DSD-DAC came with a power cable and a pretty thick usb cable.
Well... that's pro-audio company for you, no BS and free cables. Everything in one simple box.

Head-Fi really needs to stop censoring not-so-"bad" words like bullsh.it and shi.tty, I don't think any kids roam around forums where people talk about $1000 headphones (or even $300)?

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #854 of 3,016
Quote:
My Violectric V200 came with a power cable.
My Mytek Stereo 192 DSD-DAC came with a power cable and a pretty thick usb cable.
Well... that's pro-audio company for you, no BS and free cables. Everything in one simple box.

Head-Fi really needs to stop censoring not-so-"bad" words like bullsh.it and shi.tty, I don't think any kids roam around forums where people talk about $1000 headphones (or even $300)?

Well, I guess most of the stuff I got is from small firms with very limited quantity in production. Hence, they have might have no experience to handle customers in larger scale.
Like the guy above mentioned, with small production stuff, they tend to have very limit stuff attach to it. I think to make a special cable just for the product is not worth the money I think for them. (As far as I remember, sennheiser does not do third party cables like beyerdynamic does).

Well, I heard some rumor says that sennheiser is going to put power cord into newly released batches. Guess you should just wait.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #855 of 3,016
Quote:
I am not really a cable guy, but since I have invested in the HDVD800 i decided to take a shot and ordered an aftermarket cable from Q-Audio to gain:
   1. Balanced XLR 4 pin termination
   2. Loooonger cable than standard - I need 6 meters for my needs
   3. A smoother and lighter and more flexible cable than what I have today, increasing the comfort for the user
I will have it in a couple of weeks and then report back my findings...

About including power cables in the original package: I live in Sweden and there was no cable in my box. I guess that a niche product like HDVD800 is not made in big volumes and since all countries need different plugs for their power cable, this might also be a practicle reason why it is not included, especially valid for small markets/countries like Sweden. Just my two cents... 

6M sounds expensive~~~~
Good luck on your new cables. Very interested on your findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back