Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jun 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #811 of 3,016
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the Power Cable comments Frank, Speakerfile and Mr. LeBlanc
smily_headphones1.gif
Very enlightening. 

I also went into my packaging and found my power cable...only issue is that it's invisible and I have a tough time plugging it into the amp..makes the amp look like it's powered on wireless electricity....the only issue that puzzles me is that the stock invisible cable reduced my gain tremendously...don't know what would cause that...probably a special edition just for us in North America to protect our hearing no doubt.... 
[...]

Finally, someone have the issue as me.
I will tell you what sennheiser would say about it.
Where do you find ur cable?

If I didn't misunderstand rohanjd completely, he didn't find an enclosed power cable (i.e. invisible and didn't convey any current at all).

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #812 of 3,016
I disagree. I don't see any particular point where the HDVA600 beats the BHA-1 with the HD800. I have them stacked in a rack and continously running. Bryston needs a good amount of burning just like their SST^2 amplifiers.

what he said is the HDVD800 and DAC1 + BHA1 combo. Hence the DAC counts. I have tried my T1 on the HDVD800 and still prefer the sound of it out of my DAC1 + Rudistor RPX-35.

The thing is, 800 sound much better on the HDVD800 because of the tuning of the system and the synergy is amount the best I have heard. The amp and dac themselves are not more detailed or wider in frequency. However, the presentation of those details does make the HD800 more revealing. The BhA1 maybe better on other phones, but on 800, I still prefer their in house sound. More realistic to me.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #813 of 3,016
If I didn't misunderstand rohanjd completely, he didn't find an enclosed power cable (i.e. invisible and didn't convey any current at all).

I actually realized later.
Maybe he is putting sarcasm into all the things he reads in the posts that he disagreed with.....

I guess my English is too bad and cannot even read between the lines.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #814 of 3,016
Quote:
what he said is the HDVD800 and DAC1 + BHA1 combo. Hence the DAC counts. I have tried my T1 on the HDVD800 and still prefer the sound of it out of my DAC1 + Rudistor RPX-35.

The thing is, 800 sound much better on the HDVD800 because of the tuning of the system and the synergy is amount the best I have heard. The amp and dac themselves are not more detailed or wider in frequency. However, the presentation of those details does make the HD800 more revealing. The BhA1 maybe better on other phones, but on 800, I still prefer their in house sound. More realistic to me.

Oh sorry, I can see that now! Well, I never heard a Benchmark DAC. The HDVD800 wasn't available here so I have the HDVA600 and my experience is based on that. The DAC in both cases is identical and output leves are matched via analog VU-meters on a Studer A62 using condenser microphones. The BHA-1 is the more resolving amplifier with the HD800. Dynamically, it is more realistic than the HDVA600.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #815 of 3,016
Quote:
Oh sorry, I can see that now! Well, I never heard a Benchmark DAC. The HDVD800 wasn't available here so I have the HDVA600 and my experience is based on that. The DAC in both cases is identical and output leves are matched via analog VU-meters on a Studer A62 using condenser microphones. The BHA-1 is the more resolving amplifier with the HD800. Dynamically, it is more realistic than the HDVA600.

Well, for me I think DAC + AMP always matters more than the amp itself. Hence, I have to say that for HD800 owners, at least have a try of their DAC. Maybe people will like it.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #816 of 3,016
I would also say the BHA-1 is superior to the HDVA600 as an amp. The gungnir through the BHA-1 resolved more detail, space and depth over all compared to the HDVA600.

I also think the BHA-1/ gungnir sounded better than the HDVD800 on its own; but not for the HD800.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #819 of 3,016
Hello everyone and greetings from Greece.
For a short period of time I had 2 different HVD 800 units one after the other and the differences between them sonically were almost day end night.
So I can confirm what Frank I reported since he has two different units at the same time in his position.
There is a story regarding those units that I owned briefly and I was thinking of posting it hear since I believe is informative and educational at the same time.
So I tried to do that but as e new member at Head-Fi I can’t post pictures if I understood correctly and this story of mine is impossible to be told without them so I have to wait until I can upload images.

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #820 of 3,016
My HDVD800 didn't come with a power cable, so I guess I got one of those early ones. Still very happy with how it sounds, despite not having any 4 pin xlr cables yet. I've got a couple ordered, one for the HD 800 and another for the LCD-2 (which I will eventually use with the LCD-3 whenever I get one). I hope they'll show up within the next couple weeks.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #821 of 3,016
I've been running HDVD800 for 500+ hours now with Cardas Clear Balanced cable and sounds superb and I guess "setteld". Then I just discovered something very recently and wanted to share: I've been playing through Audirvana rather than iTunes, and initially I wasn't really aware of a difference between the two - however, now the difference is quite incredible. Approx 15% wider and "cleaner" soundstage, 15% bump in clarity or what I guess I would describe as a sense of precision. It's almost like iTunes feels clumsy and heavy heavy-handed in comparison. The effect of changing the software from iTunes to Audirvana, to my ears, is almost akin to the sonic differences I experienced between the jumping from unbalanced to balanced cable.

Is anyone else getting these impressions?

But just to bring things back to the HDVD800 itself, it feels to me that it is a result of the almost scientific precision/detailed nature of the HDVD800/HD800 combo that these diferences are so obvious, but I may be wrong there, as I don't have any other combo of significance to compare it to unfortunately.

Also, is my imagination, or does the HDVD800 seem to benefit from a 5-10min warm up before listening?

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #822 of 3,016
Quote:
I've been running HDVD800 for 500+ hours now with Cardas Clear Balanced cable and sounds superb and I guess "setteld". Then I just discovered something very recently and wanted to share: I've been playing through Audirvana rather than iTunes, and initially I wasn't really aware of a difference between the two - however, now the difference is quite incredible. Approx 15% wider and "cleaner" soundstage, 15% bump in clarity or what I guess I would describe as a sense of precision. It's almost like iTunes feels clumsy and heavy heavy-handed in comparison. The effect of changing the software from iTunes to Audirvana, to my ears, is almost akin to the sonic differences I experienced between the jumping from unbalanced to balanced cable.

Is anyone else getting these impressions?

But just to bring things back to the HDVD800 itself, it feels to me that it is a result of the almost scientific precision/detailed nature of the HDVD800/HD800 combo that these diferences are so obvious, but I may be wrong there, as I don't have any other combo of significance to compare it to unfortunately.

Also, is my imagination, or does the HDVD800 seem to benefit from a 5-10min warm up before listening?

I am not sure how you calculate the numbers. I think you need to go more detailed about what are the feeling from.
For me, only measurement using pro equipment can be put into number systems, otherwise, it is more like an expression of feelings. I am not sure what settings you used for those players since I am a PC user that foobar2000 is the only thing I used to player back on FLACs, so I have to borrow my friends MAC to do the testing.

From my knowledge, I do not think the player will do much trick if you do not use the EQ feature and other sound enhancement plugins. With enough buffers on your PC, I do not think jitter will occur because of insufficient memory. As a PC user, I do have hardware audio decoder on my PC, I am not sure that it is in your case. Some software allows you to use the hardware decoder to make the single path cleaner.

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #823 of 3,016
Quote:
I am not sure how you calculate the numbers. I think you need to go more detailed about what are the feeling from.
For me, only measurement using pro equipment can be put into number systems, otherwise, it is more like an expression of feelings. I am not sure what settings you used for those players since I am a PC user that foobar2000 is the only thing I used to player back on FLACs, so I have to borrow my friends MAC to do the testing.

From my knowledge, I do not think the player will do much trick if you do not use the EQ feature and other sound enhancement plugins. With enough buffers on your PC, I do not think jitter will occur because of insufficient memory. As a PC user, I do have hardware audio decoder on my PC, I am not sure that it is in your case. Some software allows you to use the hardware decoder to make the single path cleaner.

Hi AlanHell, yes I should have been clear that the number/percentages I quoted were just an expression of feelings, not actual measured numbers using pro equipment. I have noticed that Audirvana switches between 44100.0Hz, 48000.0Hz and 96000.0Hz etc automatically to match the music. But iTunes does not - it stays fixed. Do you think that maybe this could affect my impression of the sound?

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #824 of 3,016

Hi AlanHell, yes I should have been clear that the number/percentages I quoted were just an expression of feelings, not actual measured numbers using pro equipment. I have noticed that Audirvana switches between 44100.0Hz, 48000.0Hz and 96000.0Hz etc automatically to match the music. But iTunes does not - it stays fixed. Do you think that maybe this could affect my impression of the sound?

Even iTunes should have WASAPI(that wouldn't be on a Mac...) and/or ASIO output, you should always use it to avoid other software messing around with the audio.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #825 of 3,016
[size=medium]Funny think but I was unable to find the power cord myself and I open two different HDVD 800 boxes and I head to borrow it from my speaker rig. [/size]
[size=medium]I was under the impression that Sen. did not include one.[/size]
[size=medium]I think I read this at page 23-24 on this thread and so I assumed that the reason was to keep the cost low since they thought that we are going to buy an aftermarket power cord anyway.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back