Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jun 3, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #826 of 3,016
Going to try out the amp for a month, see if it's worth purchasing compared to the Violectric V200. (Probably going to use my V800 as DAC)

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #827 of 3,016
[size=medium]Funny think but I was unable to find the power cord myself and I open two different HDVD 800 boxes and I head to borrow it from my speaker rig. [/size]
[size=medium]I was under the impression that Sen. did not include one.[/size]
[size=medium]I think I read this at page 23-24 on this thread and so I assumed that the reason was to keep the cost low since they thought that we are going to buy an aftermarket power cord anyway.[/size]

This alone was reason enough for me to not purchase the HDVD800, the bastards...

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #828 of 3,016
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #829 of 3,016
Doesn't make the statement false.

We headfiers can be very picky and churlish at times.

I mean, what other company doesn't supply power cables with their equipment?

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #830 of 3,016
To be honest I didn't look for them at the box walls because it wasn't obvious and I was preoccupied that ware not included so maybe they were there all that time.
I don't have the units any more in my possession so can't verify this for sure.
Sorry!

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #832 of 3,016
I listened to the hdvd and hd 800 for a while (analog, jazz cd). I wassen't as impressed as I hoped or expected. When I asked how long the set had been used, he said "for about 3 hours". So I hope burnin will make it sound better.

My conclusion after listening for about 30 min (too short, I know):
+ Very detailed
+ Everything (instruments and voices) sounded very seperated
+ Extremely neutral
- I think the separation made it sound unrealistic and  mechanical (I didn't enjoy listening to it at all)
- Mostly because of the last (-) it was not sounding natural (as if everything was recorded seperatly)

It wasn't tyiring to listen to it, but it wasn't enjoyable eather. I asked the person that helped me to contact me when the set was burned in.

So I was wondering what sicnificant differences I can expect from the set? Does it become more natural, and more enjoyable?
Because now I wouldn't even pay 1000E (euro's).

Thanks in advance for any responses/answers.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #833 of 3,016
I listened to the hdvd and hd 800 for a while (analog, jazz cd). I wassen't as impressed as I hoped or expected. When I asked how long the set had been used, he said "for about 3 hours". So I hope burnin will make it sound better.

+ Very detailed
+ Extremely neutral
- I think the separation made it sound unrealistic and  mechanical (I didn't enjoy listening to it at all)
- Mostly because of the last (-) it was not sounding natural (as if everything was recorded seperatly)

It wasn't tyiring to listen to it, but it wasn't enjoyable eather. I asked the person that helped me to contact me when the set was burned in.

So I was wondering what sicnificant differences I can expect from the set? Does it become more natural, and more enjoyable?

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #834 of 3,016
Quote:

+ Very detailed
+ Extremely neutral

I noticed significant changes after about 150 hrs of using the amplifier. I think it is neutral and balanced and just gets out if the way. I am very satisfied with it. I had the demo review sample and my amp side by side and the differences from not being burned in were very noticeable . 

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #835 of 3,016
Thanks Frank.
Did you enjoy listening the non-burned in?
Did it become more enjoyable?
Does it sound more natural when its 150h+ burned in?

I now have a Sen HD 598 + Fiio E17. I know I can't compare, but I enjoy what I have right now as much or more, even tough its not as clear, detailed etc. But in the beginning I notices exactly the same as with the HDVD/HD800, that it sounds unrealistic/mechanical/digital.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #836 of 3,016
I thought when I first heard the map it was very clean. After 150 hrs I know it would be a keeper. There is no coloration and the amp is the most neutral solid state amp I have heard. There is no grain or nasty hard sound. LOL Its hard to describe an amp with no sound but thats what I feel this is. It just plays the music and gets out of the way for me. I used it for the last 6 weeks and am very happy with how it has developed.  I could not think of a better natural sounding amplifier.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #837 of 3,016
Did you think it did't sound natural in the beginning, or less than now?
Because eventough my dad and I tought it sounded very clean and neutral, we didn't think it was sounding naturel.
Like there was an unnatural sepparation of instruments, voices and other sounds. (Perhaps I have to get used to that)

How does analog compare to digital with the set? What do you prefer?

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #838 of 3,016
Did you think it did't sound natural in the beginning, or less than now?
Because eventough my dad and I tought it sounded very clean and neutral, we didn't think it was sounding naturel.
Like there was an unnatural sepparation of instruments, voices and other sounds. (Perhaps I have to get used to that)

How does analog compare to digital with the set? What do you prefer?

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #839 of 3,016
Analog is another animal entirely and still the best reproduction sound other than digital which has come a long way form 25 years ago. I only use digital recorded material now so I can say I am satisfied with digital recordings. I have not found anything unnatural before or after burn in.  Could be you just don like the amp enough to want to buy it. If i were you I would run it in for about 100 hrs and then listen and see if your opinion changes. I liked it enough to sell the V200 and buy this for my solid state reference amplifier.  I also like it with the LCD 2.2 and both the t90 and AT3000 single ended. Hope that helps but in the end it all subjective and YOU have to like it to keep it.  I am also using different wore and source than you but in my system it works for me.  I will be writing a full review shortly for Dagogo.com  Like everything else some people like vanilla ice cream and some like chocolate and some maybe even both. I like the HDVD800

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #840 of 3,016
Quote:
I don't believe you
tongue.gif

That's up to you, they're basically screaming "YOU NEED AFTERMARKET POWER CABLEZZZZ" which I don't like as there is no proof that it helps (and wiring in your house is ****ty (and if you have a custom-build audiophile-house the wiring in your street is still ****ty)). And the Mytek + V200 combo was actually more expensive than the HDVD800 so it's not a matter of budget too. I also heard that they don't include a USB cable... They're just turning evil and the fancy glass crap doesn't interest me at all, the glass let's interference through (AFAIK) and it makes the unit quite fragile too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back