Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jun 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #871 of 3,016
Quote:
Does anyone know if the Sennheiser HDVD 800 uses Asynchronous Mode USB Audio? Thanks.

Unfortunately Sennheiser wont tell me the facts for my review and I wont open it up . They are guarding their facts on this like they are Top Secret. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I am not sur abut the dac does sound good and if there is jitter I cant hear it.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #873 of 3,016
Quote:
It is USB2.0 and it can go 24/192. I am pretty sure it is asynchronous. BTW, why you need to know this anyway?

Hi, I was just curious. From what I can tell most DAC's these days use it. I have a Wavelength Audio product and it sounds good. You have a nice system. My HDVD 800 is sounding pretty good even with a single ended headphone connection. I will be getting a balanced 4-pin XLR headphone cable soon. BTW, the Sennheiser Momentum sounds as good as I've heard from the HDVD 800.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #874 of 3,016
Quote:
Unfortunately Sennheiser wont tell me the facts for my review and I wont open it up . They are guarding their facts on this like they are Top Secret. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I am not sur abut the dac does sound good and if there is jitter I cant hear it.

Thanks for your reply. The HDVD 800 is really sounding good so far, at least to my ears and IMHO.

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #875 of 3,016
Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if the Sennheiser HDVD 800 uses Asynchronous Mode USB Audio? Thanks.

bigsmile_face.gif

There was a post suggesting it uses an XMOS chip. It's almost certainly going to be. IIRC that is asynchronous. I doubt it is anything top-secret, more than likely whoever you spoke to had no idea what is inside it.

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #876 of 3,016
Quote:

There was a post suggesting it uses an XMOS chip. It's almost certainly going to be. IIRC that is asynchronous. I doubt it is anything top-secret, more than likely whoever you spoke to had no idea what is inside it.

Thanks for the link. I am not up to date regarding USB 2.0 Audio Design. I am wondering, though, what other headphone dac/amps we hear about here in the Head-FI threads use the XMOS chip. It looks like CEntrance uses it, for one.

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #877 of 3,016
Quote:
Thanks for the link. I am not up to date regarding USB 2.0 Audio Design. I am wondering, though, what other headphone dac/amps we hear about here in the Head-FI threads use the XMOS chip. It looks like CEntrance uses it, for one.

Here's a good start. There are many more though.

XMOS

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #878 of 3,016
Jun 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #879 of 3,016
Quote:

It's a complete off the shelf solution but I forget who made it for them.  Should be async as that what people think matters now. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #880 of 3,016
Quote:

This is a nice chip I believe. The HD800's sure did sound good on my laptop set-up: Macbook Pro 15 Retina > Pure Music > WireWorld Ultraviolet USB Cable >Sennheiser HDVD800 > Sennheiser HD800. It was the best sound I've heard from music to date coming from the laptop.

Not sure if my HD800 (not Anaxilus modded) treble is altogether tamed by the HDVD800 but I believe that is has tamed it somewhat in that area.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #881 of 3,016
Quote:

I am doing a full review on the hdvd800 and sennheiser USA has nbeen trying to get information for the review on the Dac and power ratings and if the amp is discrete and Germany wont give them the information. I have tried with the Sennheiser people her who are in Germany and they dont even answer the PM. For whatever reason Sennheiser is not releasing the product information except what they have on their website. Not enough information for many to make an informed buying decision IMO. I will write the review based on what I have been hearing.

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #882 of 3,016
Quote:
I am doing a full review on the hdvd800 and sennheiser USA has nbeen trying to get information for the review on the Dac and power ratings and if the amp is discrete and Germany wont give them the information. I have tried with the Sennheiser people her who are in Germany and they dont even answer the PM. For whatever reason Sennheiser is not releasing the product information except what they have on their website. Not enough information for many to make an informed buying decision IMO. I will write the review based on what I have been hearing.

anyone who knows there way around the inside of an amp will just open it and find out for themselves so seems a bit pointless really

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #883 of 3,016
Quote:
anyone who knows there way around the inside of an amp will just open it and find out for themselves so seems a bit pointless really

The power rating can't be identified by opening an amp. So for many readers knowing this information is not pointless but if your spending 2K on a product it would be nice to knwo and many people in our community are not people who are familiar with the working of an electronic device. I beleive the majority would like to know what the specification of the product are and that iMO is not pointless.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #884 of 3,016
Quote:
The power rating can't be identified by opening an amp. So for many readers knowing this information is not pointless but if your spending 2K on a product it would be nice to knwo and many people in our community are not people who are familiar with the working of an electronic device. I beleive the majority would like to know what the specification of the product are and that iMO is not pointless.

i meant trying to keep secret the workings of an amp seems pointless - not the wanting to know :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back