Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
May 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #737 of 3,016
Quote:
Usually burn-in on amps is the electrolytic capacitors settling down.

What, are they usually a bit rambunctious when they're new?
biggrin.gif

se

May 23, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #739 of 3,016
Quote:

What, are they usually a bit rambunctious when they're new?
biggrin.gif

se

You don't want to know what those caps get up to, no amount of brain bleach will help... 

As for the changes in the amps sound, until we know the circuit then I'd be more inclined to side with the amp drifting rather than mythical forces at work. 

May 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #741 of 3,016
Quote:
Interesting observation I have going on with the hDVD800. I have the review sample which has been running for almost three weeks non stop and it is wide open sounding and the new one I just purchased from Sennheiser is so different form the burned in model. It is more congested and not as open. It is more of what i heard when I first got the review sample. So my friends there is a huge difference after about 150 hrs of running the amp. It will be considerably better when it hits the 150-200 hr mark. I will be running this in all night for the next week to help speed up the process and them will compare them again.  If at first you do not get the results your looking for just be patient . It sound so much better and worlds class after 200 hrs which is roughly where i am at with the review sample.

Interesting, I'm going to have to give a proper burn-in to the unit in-store. I'd welcome the changes very much 
biggrin.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #743 of 3,016
This is my first post on head fi! I've been reading threads for a while but I've just never signed up. Decided to post here first because the HDVD800 is my latest addition to the setup . I've the senn balanced cable on order and then I'm done....... For a while :)

May 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #744 of 3,016
Quote:
This is my first post on head fi! I've been reading threads for a while but I've just never signed up. Decided to post here first because the HDVD800 is my latest addition to the setup . I've the senn balanced cable on order and then I'm done....... For a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Whats that in the pic?, an E7 and M50? Hah, you're in the wrong forum noob. 
size]

(very nice. If you are real :)

May 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #747 of 3,016
Whats that in the pic?, an E7 and M50? Hah, you're in the wrong forum noob. 
size]
Originally Posted by LugBug1 .Whats that in the pic?, an E7 and M50? Hah, you're in the wrong forum noob. 
size]

(very nice. If you are real :)
:beerchug:  Welcome to head-fi 

Thanks . I know I'm late in the head fi game but I didn't want to ask silly questions along the way. Just decided to sit back, observe and learn from all this collective experience. I've made a few mistakes along the way (Burson HA160ds) but couldn't be happier with the setup now . The only way I would go now is electrostatic and that's only if I won the lottery!

May 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #748 of 3,016
Quote:
Thanks . I know I'm late in the head fi game but I didn't want to ask silly questions along the way. Just decided to sit back, observe and learn from all this collective experience. I've made a few mistakes along the way (Burson HA160ds) but couldn't be happier with the setup now . The only way I would go now is electrostatic and that's only if I won the lottery!

Hey, its all good my friend. Feel free to post your thoughts any time. Especially with the top gear that you have. 

See you around  
size]

(I best leave, because I have no business here wif this amp)

May 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #749 of 3,016
So..... My thoughts on the HDVD800 ..... It's bloody brilliant! I have found the 800s to be a tad harsh at times and a little sibilant with certain tracks but with the HDVD800 they are as detailed and airy/ expansive as ever but with a smoother/ less fatiguing top end . The mids feel slightly fuller . I've never personally found the bass to be subjectively different on various amps and it is still as good as always on the HDVD800. I have to agree with Frank on his posts on this thread they sum up my own findings. It's an excellent amp that I am extremely happy with :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back