Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
May 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #767 of 3,016
I've tried to solve the high frequency noise issue over USB that I've been experiencing, and I wasn't able to get rid of it. Tried many ports, tried unplugging all other devices and the noise never reduced in volume no matter what. Since I've got the V-Link 192 I'll just keep using that instead as it's working fine, but if I didn't happen to own that I would've been pretty annoyed by this.

May 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #768 of 3,016
Quote:
I've tried to solve the high frequency noise issue over USB that I've been experiencing, and I wasn't able to get rid of it. Tried many ports, tried unplugging all other devices and the noise never reduced in volume no matter what. Since I've got the V-Link 192 I'll just keep using that instead as it's working fine, but if I didn't happen to own that I would've been pretty annoyed by this.

It has to be something in your chain. I am using it with a Imac and it is dead quiet. No noise at all. It actually sound very good. Try changing the USB cable. I am using a  Nordost Blue Heaven cable and it is dead silent with that cable. I have zero noise in the chain. Have you used a cheater plug in your outlet. Sometimes a ground loop can show up and the cheater plug can help there. You can also contact Sennhieser for advice. Another  option is to try it in another system to see if it does the same thing. If it does then you know its the dac inside of the hdvd800. I would research all sources on a 2K amplifier. It is worth investigating it some more as you paid good money for the product.

May 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #769 of 3,016
Quote:

Pretty sure you are just experiencing ground loop. Try "cheater" 2 prong adapter on computer and amp, if that fixes the issue get yourself HumX, it worked wonders for me.

May 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #770 of 3,016
Quote:
I've noticed that the USB input creates high frequency noise from my speakers. This doesn't happen with any of the other inputs, and I have a USB-AES converter (Musical Fidelity V-LINK 192) which I'm using instead right now. The noise isn't audible over the headphones, even if you max out the volume, so it only affects speakers. I assume this is computer noise somehow transferring over, because the noise is affected by what happens on screen, so if I open and close programs the noise is affected. So whatever their USB solution is it could be better.

I heard these problems many times before. Many manufacturers need to work out this problem

May 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #771 of 3,016
I've got a couple other machines I can test with, so I will definitely try and see if they produce the same noise or not. I've had a Dacmagic, Hegel HD10 & V800 and this is the first time I've had this problem. 

May 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #772 of 3,016
Quote:
I've got a couple other machines I can test with, so I will definitely try and see if they produce the same noise or not. I've had a Dacmagic, Hegel HD10 & V800 and this is the first time I've had this problem. 

That why I suggested you try it in someone else computer and if it is there then you need to contact Sennheiser. I have two of them here the review demp and the one I bought and both have zero noise. Nothing . They are blacker than black and very quiet. you could have a defective unit that would be replaced if it is th amplifier. Worth investigating and I wouldn't accept that amp that way.

May 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #773 of 3,016
Ok, I have now tried it with a Dell laptop and it's completely free from noise. I'm going to see if there's something more I can try with my desktop machine to reduce the noise, and if that fails I'll contact Sennheiser and see what they think.

May 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #774 of 3,016
Quote:
That why I suggested you try it in someone else computer and if it is there then you need to contact Sennheiser. I have two of them here the review demp and the one I bought and both have zero noise. Nothing . They are blacker than black and very quiet. you could have a defective unit that would be replaced if it is th amplifier. Worth investigating and I wouldn't accept that amp that way.

It looks like the HDVD800 doesnt come with a power cable, what are you using ?

May 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #776 of 3,016
Quote:
Ok, I have now tried it with a Dell laptop and it's completely free from noise. I'm going to see if there's something more I can try with my desktop machine to reduce the noise, and if that fails I'll contact Sennheiser and see what they think.

Laptop has two prong and desktop grounded three prong power plug, right?

May 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #777 of 3,016
I'm so glad someone started this thread.

I have been following this thread in earnest and your impressions motivated me to purchase the HDVD800.

I have had the HD800 for over 2 years. On Ken Ball's advice I bought the ALO Reference 8 cable for the headphones. I bought the cable probably 3 months after using it with the stock cable and to my ears it made a huge difference.

The HDVD800 arrived earlier this week. My previous setup was as follows: PC => Arcam rDac => ALO Amphora => HD800 w/ ALO Reference 8 cable.

Right out of the box I could not believe how good the HDVD800 sounded. Without anything playing in the background and the volume turned to the max...dead silence...completely black. The day I received the HDVD800 I also bought the Audioquest NRG-X3 power cable...don't ask me why...maybe I'm a sucker...hopefully the power cable might make a minute difference - who knows....would love to know Frank's thoughts on audiophile power cables and whether it's just a placebo effect or it actually makes some tangible difference.

So what's my setup now...PC => Kimber Kable Minibus AG USB Cable => HDVD800 => HD800

To my ears this is the sound signature I was looking for on my HD800 but didn't get without the HDVD800. It almost as if the veil has been lifted and nothing comes between you and the music. The retrival of details and the fatigue-free musical sound signature...I don't know what to say except it surpassed all my expectations. Frank you were right! The combination has to be heard to be believed.

Just sharing my 2 cents. Thanks for everyone who contributed their thoughts on this thread...without your input I would have been very hesitant to take the plunge and buy the HDVD800. You made one HD800 user very happy. I am not an expert and I have not heard or auditioned a lot of high-end DACs...so my experience is very limited. But to my ears the HDVD800 w/ HD800 is one killer combination.

May 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #778 of 3,016
Glad yu like the hdvd800.  I am using all Nordost Blue heaven cable with the hdvd800 and the system is very transparent. The power cord is a heavy duty connector and sounds synergistic with all the cables. The differences i hear are subtle with the cord changes   a little clear  transparency with a dead silent background. I use them as a system and all the cables for the hdvd800,Oppo and the IMAC are all the Blue Heaven cables and I am very satisfied with the transparency and delicate background detail that is present. When I use cheap cables there is a veil and lots of information gets masked. I hear differences with better cables and wont use cheap cables. The mono-price RCA interconnects i have are really veiled and robs the components of the  transparency and detail I hear with the Nordost and Audioquest cables I use. I would recommend using all the same cables from the same company.

May 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #779 of 3,016
I used the NRG-2 as well while auditioning this amp.  Great combination!  I could sense a cleaner background and what felt like a slightly wider soundstage when swapping between a standard power cord and the AQ.  This was my first experience with the HD800, so I have no way to compare it to other amps.    

May 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #780 of 3,016
I use NRG-4 power cables as they do make a difference, just as a headphone recable does.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back