Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
May 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #751 of 3,016
Welcome James and enjoy the web site and friendship you will make here.
Thanks Frank. Ive been following head fi for a while and i always take note of your opinion. I'm looking forward to your review of the HDVD800 . I only have a handful of amps/dacs to compare it to as reference but based on them I think it's quality . It's always nice to have an opinion backed up by someone with more knowledge and experience . Regards, James

May 25, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #755 of 3,016
Now that I've been using the HDVD 800 with the HD 800 on an almost daily basis for several weeks I think it's safe to say it's a really good combo. I've had the HD 800 for 3+ years and the HDVD 800 breathed new life into them and all the music I have. There hasn't been a day where I've been unhappy with how the HDVD 800 sounds. I look forward to seeing more reviews showing up from people who have used it for a while. To my ears it's excellent.

May 26, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #756 of 3,016
Quote:

This may give me a reason to buy one of these new HDVD800A amps. Just when I thought I was out of this headphone game, something piques my interest and I get dragged back in. Damn it.
ph34r.gif

May 26, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #759 of 3,016
Quote:
Yeah wallet been dead for a long while, pretty much going to either start doing sperm donations or sell one of my kidneys just to fund for more "toys". Sigh.

Hope this isn't gonna be in the trade forum...

One kidney and 3 pints of sperm for your HDVD800. :D

May 26, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #760 of 3,016
Quote:
Hope this isn't gonna be in the trade forum...

One kidney and 3 pints of sperm for your HDVD800. :D

You sir just made my night.

3 pints of sperm? Dayum man I don't have a factory manufacturer downstairs to produce that much. It's in limited production phase mode, each one serialised. 

May 26, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #761 of 3,016
I can't recommend it highly enough . To be my ears it's slightly better than my v200/v800 stack if that helps as a point of reference . It is completely neutral to my ears and keeps all the detail and extension in the highs but the quality is improved for a less biting sound on brighter tracks. That 6k peak is still there but it isnt annoying at all for me now. It was my only annoyance with the HD800 before but now it's gone. The only other HP I've tried with it is my HD650s and it has breathed new life into them too. I can only assume at this point that this must be an amp that measures extremely well. For now I trust my ears and they are very happy.

May 26, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #762 of 3,016
Quote:
You sir just made my night.

3 pints of sperm? Dayum man I don't have a factory manufacturer downstairs to produce that much. It's in limited production phase mode, each one serialised. 

Can ejeculate  post anywhere... 
size]
 No returns.  

May 26, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #764 of 3,016
Quote:Steve Eddy
Usually burn-in on amps is the electrolytic capacitors settling down.

What, are they usually a bit rambunctious when they're new?
biggrin.gif

Quote:ASOKA
Usually burn-in on amps is the electrolytic capacitors settling down.
and also the magnetic field in the circuit is not stable yet.

Quote:spritzer

What, are they usually a bit rambunctious when they're new?
biggrin.gif

se

You don't want to know what those caps get up to, no amount of brain bleach will help... 

As for the changes in the amps sound, until we know the circuit then I'd be more inclined to side with the amp drifting rather than mythical forces at work.

Good to see that this post didn't get by the good sense gang.

There are those who still believe Black Gate caps need 1000's of hours to reach their best.
Perhaps they need to dry out a bit before they perform, unlike a good pastry.

May 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #765 of 3,016
reading this thread makes me want to buy the hdvd800 and sell off my V200. I am going to test it first in a "local" shop though. Don't want to spend 1800 euro and not liking the sound of it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back