Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Apr 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #436 of 3,016
ah yes, that is my setup: WA22/Woo DAC/HD800, fully balanced all the way through....I have found head-fi nervana.....

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #437 of 3,016
Cool I could not be leave the difference. It's not that all the woo a d others sounded
Bad it was crisp clear but was to Brite and missing the base extt

But that cobo is the jam
But I do have other almost Nervana for them already but to me and I guess
U it's fantastic. I heard the stax 009 a d the Breyer. For me keep them
Hd800 and that amp all the way. I tried it on low imp with some IEMS too
It sounded very good but a low noise at no valume. I also bout the way 7
For the office and IEM S sounds great too.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #438 of 3,016
Quote:
There is some great reviews, but some bad ones too. The bad seems to come from people Looking at it and saying its has cheap connectors. Other bad ones say they have listened and not impressed.  I figure if they are using it as the ref dac/Amp at shows it must good. Maybe not 10 k good but what a niche market that is I do not care. 
I have one on order since nov last year paid in full just waiting

I did make several comments regarding the quality of connectors. It was just an icing on a somewhat bitter cake. One has to realise that not all of us live in the same place and if something can be considered good value for money, more so than another component, that does not by any means apply to other locations or countries. The matter of the fact is, I have found absolutely nothing about the HDVA600 that would justify the expenditure over the Bryston BHA-1. Absolutely nothing. I paid 1300 Euro for the Bryston. Now it is 1700 Euro for reasons that are unknown to me. However, HDVA600 was 1700 Euro right from the start and BHA-1 is the better amplifier of the two so even with the increased price, it is a better value for money. 

Also, I suspected there was going to be a delay because the website didn't contain any technical specifications one week before the claimed official release. What is more, Sennheiser had introduced other products in the meantime with full specifications which is something you expect when you're buying a wireless microphone system. Nothing about the headphone amplifiers. Nothing! The available information is somewhat more detalied now but it is still vague which is completely unacceptable. It is reasonable to assume that this amplifier would be a good choice for a mastering engineer for example but I don't know anyone that would buy it on faith. What it takes is plethora of available information and reputation. Sennheiser did very little to deliver on these accounts.

In the end, I hope it does eventually come out and that they are successful at it. 
Cheers!

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #439 of 3,016
I do beleave all you say is true as I see it too. The three idiots they had at the show were indeed just that . They were playing lousy low detail music . And no way for me to give them a cd or any other way except a SD card and he could not even answer me what format it would except . As the file playing was 16/441. 1 not that it would be bad if it were even a good recording .

Next I asked him for output impedance , he gives me 8 to 600 ohms . I ask again output of amp .

Answer he does not know , no literature and it will ship soon. If it were not for me per paying in oct last year. Even it were the best amp ever I would not buy it..

So I hear you all the way .

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #440 of 3,016
I was at the NYC audio show. At the senn
Booth and I asked where is my unit.
Here is his reply units are boxed and getting ready
For shipment. Should be about two weeks or so
I laughed and said that is what I heard from oct last year.
He said only a few units have shipped worldwide for review

He also new nothing as far as specs FOr the unit
The unite they had setup poorly as it was non flax recordings
Pure garbage I commented on it and asked can I give him something
I have to use. He said yes but it had to be on a ad chip. I did not have one to give him
So in the end I walked away hoping it will be good and although I have read
Good reviews it did not boost my confidence.
On another note woo audio had the hd800 set up on a wa22 with there dac
And I must say perfection. For the hd800 I bought the amp and dac.
I did listen to the hd800 on everything else woo had and only the fully bal wa 22
Met what I was looking for and surpassed.
That's all

Did it have stock or upgraded tubes?

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #441 of 3,016
Stock tubes . I asked him that . I asked what the better tubes would do and I got the usael .
Better clarity, sound stage , more musicality , and more adjectives I can,t remember .

I know this it sounded fantastic , even with IEM ,s at low impedance . I'm picking it up at woo in queens tomorrow . And yes I will have my own music and sources and will ask to here the better tubes to possible here a difference that I might like.
I do beleave it would be different but maybe not better to my likening .

I will do a post after burnin and all.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #442 of 3,016
Quote:
Stock tubes . I asked him that . I asked what the better tubes would do and I got the usael .
Better clarity, sound stage , more musicality , and more adjectives I can,t remember .

I know this it sounded fantastic , even with IEM ,s at low impedance . I'm picking it up at woo in queens tomorrow . And yes I will have my own music and sources and will ask to here the better tubes to possible here a difference that I might like.
I do beleave it would be different but maybe not better to my likening .

I will do a post after burnin and all.

They have a store front? or they are just being nice letting you drop by?

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #443 of 3,016
I do beleave they do not have a store front. And ur rt they r being nice . I guess dropping
$ 4500.00 cash does that . In truth I met with jack his son . He said his father speaks little English.

They are Chinese and accommodating as there culture is with most. Being a New Yorker you get to know different cultures . Aside from that they seem like really good people .

I get the motts tomorrow , so we will see. I am wondering if I should get the tube upgrades as well . But I said I would need to hear it first as the amp I heard was stock with there DAC balanced input . But not output to headphones and as the hd800 sounded perfect for my TAISTE .

AL D .

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #447 of 3,016
Quote:
And stock is just coming through.......

​
 ​
 ​
http://bit.ly/17o61aH

Are those official Sennheiser stands? They look beautiful. I was surprised by how simple and small the packaging was when I saw the HDVD800 packaging for the first time.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 18, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #448 of 3,016
The Swedish magazine "Hifi & Musik" did a group test of headphone amps and the HDVD 800 got top marks. They compared it together with the April Music Eximus DP1, Beyerdynamic A1, Harmony Design Ear 909, Lehmann BlackCube Linear and Pathos Aurium. They thought the HDVD 800 was a perfect match for the HD 800.

It seems at least one store in Stockholm has it in stock, so I'm curious enough to go listen to it at some point. I've been looking at a new dac and amp, and it seems like a nice combo unit. As with all things I guess everyone won't find it optimal for their needs, but I like the idea of a combined dac and amp, and I like how it looks.

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #449 of 3,016
Thanks for the post. Can you put up a link to article please.
I very much would like to read it.
And if I were you I would go and listen. But bring your own music files so you may
Be more attune to want you are hearing

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #450 of 3,016
Quote:
Thanks for the post. Can you put up a link to article please.
I very much would like to read it.
And if I were you I would go and listen. But bring your own music files so you may
Be more attune to want you are hearing

i too am very keen to read this but its not available online yet - only in their print magazine currently plus it looks like when it does go online its a paid subscription access

bit of a shame but with stock reportedly becoming available there should be more reviews shortly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back