Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Mar 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #406 of 3,016
As soon as my internship starts I'm gonna get the Hd 800, but really not sure about this dac/amp... The price is kinda high... More than the headphone itself...

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #407 of 3,016
Quote:
As soon as my internship starts I'm gonna get the Hd 800, but really not sure about this dac/amp... The price is kinda high... More than the headphone itself...

Have you ever heard the HD800? I'd be careful to recommend them to anyone who hasn't taken the time to listen. There are a lot of nuances to getting headphones like that. 

As for this unit itself, I'd greatly caution anyone from buying this unit when it comes out. Historically when a headphone manufacturer comes out with an amplifier, they have a high price tag and don't perform very well. I'd wait until some solid reviews come out. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #408 of 3,016
Quote:

Have you ever heard the HD800? I'd be careful to recommend them to anyone who hasn't taken the time to listen. There are a lot of nuances to getting headphones like that. 

As for this unit itself, I'd greatly caution anyone from buying this unit when it comes out. Historically when a headphone manufacturer comes out with an amplifier, they have a high price tag and don't perform very well. I'd wait until some solid reviews come out. 

Yeah, I went to a shop to check it out. The stuff was kind enough to let me play around with my own cds for about 2 hours. :wink:

I wouldn't buy anything that hasn't been reviewed anyway.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #409 of 3,016
Thank you for that terrific review!
I just picked up my HD800's a couple of days ago and they are absolutely fantastic!
I only have them plugged into my MacBook Pro and I cannot believe how great my lossless files sound without the addition of an amp or dac.
I was about to buy the Woo Audio WA6SE after months of research or the Burson Conductor because of the built in Dac.
After reading your review on the HDVD800 I am thinking of waiting till June in Canada.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank again.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #410 of 3,016
I just picked up my HD800's a couple of days ago and they are absolutely fantastic!
I only have them plugged into my MacBook Pro and I cannot believe how great my lossless files sound without the addition of an amp or dac.
I was about to buy the Woo Audio WA6SE after months of research or the Burson Conductor because of the built in Dac.
After reading your review on the HDVD800 I am thinking of waiting till June in Canada.
Thank again.

Find a monster receiver from the 70s in great condition for approx $300 (Marantz/Pioneer/Yamaha), use it as a headphone amp (they usually come with controls for bass, midrange, treble, low pass filter, high pass filter, adjustable loudness, reversible stereo, etc.) and you will be in HEAVEN!

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #411 of 3,016
Thank again.

If you're in montreal next weekend, I believe you will be able to try the sennheiser amps at the salon son & image. It's a huge audio show

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #413 of 3,016
Quote:

Glad to hear you're taking the right steps! 

The funny thing is, I bought my Q701 without hearing them. And the more headphones I hear (Hd650, HE-400, and some others) the more I love them. For 200$ they were the best tech thing I ever bought ^^

I'm gonna listen to the HD800, HD700, LCD-2, T1, GS1000i, RS1i side by side in 2 weeks. Do you have any other recommendations for headphones at a similar price which i should check out?

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #414 of 3,016
Quote:
The funny thing is, I bought my Q701 without hearing them. And the more headphones I hear (Hd650, HE-400, and some others) the more I love them. For 200$ they were the best tech thing I ever bought ^^

I'm gonna listen to the HD800, HD700, LCD-2, T1, GS1000i, RS1i side by side in 2 weeks. Do you have any other recommendations for headphones at a similar price which i should check out?

Glad you got lucky with that purchase. I have been a pretty big fan of the K701/Q701 line up, although I would say most people on head-fi do not like the K701 and that stigma carries to the Q701 to some extent. I think it's a terrific headphone and a bargain in terms of performance. 

The only other headphones I would suggest poking into (if you can) would be the Hifiman HE-500, HE-6, and Mad Dogs. I'm not sure where you are listening and what kind of variety, but those are pretty notable headphones. I would say the HE-500 and HE-6 sound closest to the Q701 in terms of sound signature. I thought the HE-400 sounded much more like the HD650. The HE-500 and HE-6 are bright and more light and airy, similar to the Q701. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #415 of 3,016
Quote:

Glad you got lucky with that purchase. I have been a pretty big fan of the K701/Q701 line up, although I would say most people on head-fi do not like the K701 and that stigma carries to the Q701 to some extent. I think it's a terrific headphone and a bargain in terms of performance. 

The only other headphones I would suggest poking into (if you can) would be the Hifiman HE-500, HE-6, and Mad Dogs. I'm not sure where you are listening and what kind of variety, but those are pretty notable headphones. I would say the HE-500 and HE-6 sound closest to the Q701 in terms of sound signature. I thought the HE-400 sounded much more like the HD650. The HE-500 and HE-6 are bright and more light and airy, similar to the Q701. 

Hifiman is not avaible in my country. So no way to check them out. I was just lucky to have a friend who bought the HE-400. Mad Dogs also not available...

http://k55.ch <--- This is the shop I'm visiting

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #416 of 3,016
Quote:

Hifiman is not avaible in my country. So no way to check them out. I was just lucky to have a friend who bought the HE-400. Mad Dogs also not avaible...

http://k55.ch <--- This is the shop I'm visiting

From the website inventory I think you've got a pretty thorough check list! Hope you have some fun 
size]
.  There really aren't any headphone stores like that in the U.S. so I'm always envious of people that get to do that! 

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #417 of 3,016
Quote:

From the website inventory I think you've got a pretty thorough check list! Hope you have some fun 
size]
.  There really aren't any headphone stores like that in the U.S. so I'm always envious of people that get to do that! 

It's really strange. This shop is the only one in the whole country. But it has so many headphones to check out. Sometimes living in a rich country is just awesome :D

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #418 of 3,016
Quote:
If you're in montreal next weekend, I believe you will be able to try the sennheiser amps at the salon son & image. It's a huge audio show

Thanks for the update.
Unfortunately I won't be able make it, what a shame.
I just checked Sennheiser Canada website and they raised the price from $1,999 to $2,399 in just few days. What's up with that?

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #420 of 3,016
I think even for $2300, the price is till reasonable. This is a fully balanced system. Think of getting a balanced DAC and balanced AMP  combo with quality of HDVD800 usually cost more than that,not even counting the interconnect cable.
well,i never listen to HDVD800, but i think it should be at the same level with DAC1+WA22 right?
if it can not out perform GUNGNIR+MJOLNIR, Sennheiser won't place it in that price range right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back