Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Mar 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #421 of 3,016
That sucks.  Even though I think the original price for it was low compared to offerings from established industry competitors.  When you think of balanced amps out there, there's very few which for the amp alone are below 2000 USD.  Add on a balanced DAC which will normally exceed 1000 USD and the HDVD800 would seem cheap.

I've thought about getting one of these since their announcement last year.  Had no idea the wait would be this long.  Started to think about the Bryston bha-1 recently and a separate balanced DAC.  If I buy one of the cheaper balanced DACs, the prices will almost match up.

Why are people dumping on the quality of components on this thing?  Its not like anyone has opened it to actually see what components they use.  Also fairly many high-end devices don't employ the very best components either and still charge equally high prices.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #423 of 3,016
I have mine on Order  since nov last year .  It will be worth the wait, but as far as people dumping on it I guess it's just personnel to senn . They are a big company a world leader in audio and easy to pick on with no one to battle back, by means of a rep for smaller companies . 

So hang in there it's my guess  it will be great , they use it at there demo shows , so how can it be bad . I have read people views of equipment I feel is floored but people here praise it. So it's just what people say its never gospel ...

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #424 of 3,016
Quote:
Hi thinker, I have been following your terrific reviews on HDVD800/HD800 combo and feel you have terrific insight. I am awaiting delivery of the HDVD800 (zzzz..!!). I was intending to connect my HD800 to HDDVD via 4 pin Cardas Clear after your initial comparison of 4 pin vs 1/4 inch plug.

I have enquired with the Cardas distributer here in England (audiofreaks.co.uk) and confirmed that Cardas can supply the HD800 Clear cable with 4 pin termination for about £50.00 extra.

Taking into consideration the improvement that the Clear gave over the 1/4 plug connection in your recent findings, do you think there could be further improvement by applying the 4 pin connection to the Cardas Clear over your Cardas Clear with the 1/4 plug.

I guess I am asking do you feel the improvements are the result of 4 pin vs 1/4 plug, or Cardas Clear vs inferior cable?

looking forward to hearing more of your impressions.

cheers

Maybe there are indeed clear sonic differences between, say, using a 4 pin termination or a 1/4 inch plug, but that would surely be apparent in a double blind listening test.

Audio Freaks in the UK will no doubt be happy to charge you £50 extra for the Cardas cable with 4 pin termination, but get them to demonstrate the audible difference it makes in a double blind listening test first.

The impressions between Cardas Clear and an "inferior" cable you request will be valuable I think if they come from a double blind listening test.

The human hearing is extremely susceptible to suggestion and auto-suggestion. I have written a short article about this and there is a link in my signature.

Please note that I am not denying the experience or report of anyone. I am just saying that it would be useful if these reported differences between connectors or cables were demonstrated in double blind listening tests. This is to combat the influence of suggestion and auto-suggestion in people's findings.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #425 of 3,016
I simply don't see what the fuss is all about. I had the opportunity to listen to the HDVA600 for a good few hours in a quiet listening room and with my equipment. I went for the Bryston BHA-1 in the end because the HDVA600 wasn't superior in any of the areas. It approached the Bryston in detail retrieval but slightly lagged in other parameters. The Sennheiser was also quite a bit more expensive (around 300 Euro more). To top it all off, I was shocked to see cheap phono connectors on the back, the likes of which I only see on thirty Euro multi-format players. Can you believe the cheek on these guys?

Now with the new "enhanced" price from Sennheiser, the situation looks even more grim for the Deutsch folk.

As for the HDVD800 and it's integrated D-A converter, I am generally against such solutions. Even though there are obvious advantages to such solutions (shorter signal path, no need for an extra pair of interconnect cables and electrical integrity), the thing that bothers me is the passage of time. Amplifiers if designed well don't get obsolete. Unless we are talking about switching amplifiers (class-D and it's derivatives) a good amplifier will remain to be - a good amplifier. A few decade old Yamaha B-2 is still considered to be one of the finest amplifiers even today. It's a different story with digital and I would be bothered by having something inside an amplifier I am using that is now suddenly absolete because Wolfson has created another iteration of the WM874x chip or because it can no longer accept the new digital standard sent from the computer.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #426 of 3,016
Quote:

Maybe there are indeed clear sonic differences between, say, using a 4 pin termination or a 1/4 inch plug, but that would surely be apparent in a double blind listening test.

Audio Freaks in the UK will no doubt be happy to charge you £50 extra for the Cardas cable with 4 pin termination, but get them to demonstrate the audible difference it makes in a double blind listening test first.

The impressions between Cardas Clear and an "inferior" cable you request will be valuable I think if they come from a double blind listening test.

The human hearing is extremely susceptible to suggestion and auto-suggestion. I have written a short article about this and there is a link in my signature.

Please note that I am not denying the experience or report of anyone. I am just saying that it would be useful if these reported differences between connectors or cables were demonstrated in double blind listening tests. This is to combat the influence of suggestion and auto-suggestion in people's findings.

Quite right!

Hearing is a sensitive instrument and is adaptable. Takes a good and healthy ear and years of training to be able to detect the tiniest bit of difference. 

Cables are as important as a tiny amount of alcohol. Have a glass of wine and you won't be able to pick up anything in any way that is relevant or objective.

I've been to hi-fi shows in quiet rooms reserved for high-end equipment. I remember one particular situation where they had a cable test session. All the reviewers were busy in making notes that no one even heard the left super-tweeter was not working at all. I could hear it from across the room and they couldn't hear it in front of the speakers. From that moment on, I stopped buying hi-fi magazines.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #427 of 3,016
I got to play around with the HDVD800 and HDVA600 at the Senn booth at the SSI in Montreal today; It reminds me a lot of the BHA-1 and mjolnir/gungnir combo; but of course there is no head to head comparison. They're on preorder for 2200$ taxes included and 1650$ taxes included respectively for the weekend audio show. I believe they ship in less than 4 weeks.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #429 of 3,016
I'm glade you think so 
im still waiting on mine since nov last year at the rate this going I will hear it first at NYC 
audio show in April 

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #430 of 3,016
Quote:
I'm glade you think so 
im still waiting on mine since nov last year at the rate this going I will hear it first at NYC 
audio show in April 

It'll be awesome if it is there :D 

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #433 of 3,016
There is some great reviews, but some bad ones too. The bad seems to come from people Looking at it and saying its has cheap connectors. Other bad ones say they have listened and not impressed.  I figure if they are using it as the ref dac/Amp at shows it must good. Maybe not 10 k good but what a niche market that is I do not care. 
I have one on order since nov last year paid in full just waiting

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #434 of 3,016
Fack I totally missed the product launch. My sources have failed me!

I knew about this product many years ago when I was involved with Sennheiser and the good doctor even teased you guys at HD 800 launch but it never came about if was to be launched or not or the specifics. True to style the just waited until it was good enough :D

Damm my wallet. Thank head-fi heaven for Headroom balanced all the way setup to carry me until I can afford this.

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #435 of 3,016
I was at the NYC audio show. At the senn
Booth and I asked where is my unit.
Here is his reply units are boxed and getting ready
For shipment. Should be about two weeks or so
I laughed and said that is what I heard from oct last year.
He said only a few units have shipped worldwide for review

He also new nothing as far as specs FOr the unit
The unite they had setup poorly as it was non flax recordings
Pure garbage I commented on it and asked can I give him something
I have to use. He said yes but it had to be on a ad chip. I did not have one to give him
So in the end I walked away hoping it will be good and although I have read
Good reviews it did not boost my confidence.
On another note woo audio had the hd800 set up on a wa22 with there dac
And I must say perfection. For the hd800 I bought the amp and dac.
I did listen to the hd800 on everything else woo had and only the fully bal wa 22
Met what I was looking for and surpassed.
That's all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back