Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Apr 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #466 of 3,016
...just a further note after 24hours burn in...

Well, already things sound noticeably different. That initial slightly "digital" sound, I guess I'd call it, that had me wondering if my tube amp is smoother, has gone. Unfortunately I cannot compare the DAC to anything of significance like Benchmark DAC 1 etc, but my impression is that there really is incredible detail. If I was to describe the effect visually, I'd liken it to the effect of an HDR photograph - where suddenly you can see the details inside the room, and outside the window at the same time - whereas previously the details through the window were burnt out white and not visible.

One thing I can compare is the 4pin vs 1/4" jack. When I listen to the HDVD800, I'm instantly made aware that there's an incredible amount of new "technology" going on in the box that I'm not aware of - I say "new" because it's the likes of which my ears have never experienced before - and it this phenomenon seems most obvious to me when switching from the 1/4" jack to the 4pin. Luckily I can run 2 sets of Cardas Clears to compare - one on 4pin and 1/4", and it suddenly occurred to me it's almost like Sennheiser has supplied a 1/4" socket (which sounds superb by the way) simply so that people can listen to the amp before they make the most obvious, and essential and absolutely inevitable decision to upgrade to 4pin. It's like just when you thought everything sounds clear, the whole system instantly elevates to another level. 

And then I compared it to my Earmax SE tube amp - I did this running from the balanced Pre-amp from HDVD800 to the Earmax SE via Cardas Clear interconnects. So the comparison here is the Senn Amp vs Tube Amp, of course both use the Senn DAC. Well, the EARMAX for sure, has never been treated to so much detail and really sounds sublime, and if this was you're setup you would be surely be happy with whats going - and possibly (as a non-expert) satisfied that the sound couldn't actually be improved upon.

And then I switch to the 4pin on the Senn. To try and describe what I feel is happening, and this may be a bit daft, but it's kind of like I can suddenly perceive what the low/zero distortion that the HDVD marketing is referring to. And it's definitely not just a suggestive thing from the marketing, but rather I feel like it helps me verbalise what the profound difference is. So, the Earmax sounds absolutely clear and tight - running the funny EAT Dampers to remove microphonics etc, but then on the 4pin, it's suddenly like Earmax is somehow fuzzy around the instruments in comparison - like there's a kind of distortion there around the instruments that I couldn't see before. And now there's almost unimaginable clarity.

So just in case my opinion is any help to anybody, if you asked me if it's worth the wait and the price, I would already say absolutely. My overall impression so far is that this box has been specifically designed for the sole intention to showcase HD800. Obviously I'm no expert, but my overall impression when I walk away, is it so obviously apparent that Sennheiser is determined to establish the HD800/HDVD800 (4pin with third party cable) as the Orpheus of dynamic headphones.

(Which I guess is a bit of a bonus seeing as I purchased the headphones, custom cable 4pin cable and HDVD800 without audition)  Ha!    :)

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #467 of 3,016
Quote:

The HDVD800 manual shows these specs:

output power:                       approx. 480 mW @ 1 kHz and 600 Ohm load at the XLR-4 output
Frequency response:            < 10 Hz to > 100 kHz
Crosstalk attenuation:          min. 93 dB @ 1 kHz
THD+N:                               < 0.001%
Dynamic range:                    > 115 dB @ 600 Ohm load (A-weighted)

Headphone outputs (XLR-4)
Impedance:                          min. 16 Ohm

Headphone outputs (1⁄4“)

Thank you! 

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #468 of 3,016
Wow that's high for the impedance. But I guess it's what senn needed it to be
For the senn cans. I'll try my IEM , s anyway. Funny thing at the ny show the guy
Could not answer but said headphones down to 8 ohms. What bull
Ty for the post

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #470 of 3,016
Well the only high end headphone I own is the hd800. I have listened to others
But not on that amp. When it is released and displayed at stores we will see.
I live in NYC and ordered mine from lyric they said they would have put one on display
They carry. Some high end headphones grado for one. So when they have it I will
Do a listen there.
ALD

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #471 of 3,016
Quote:

The HDVD800 manual shows these specs:

output power:                       approx. 480 mW @ 1 kHz and 600 Ohm load at the XLR-4 output
Frequency response:            < 10 Hz to > 100 kHz
Crosstalk attenuation:          min. 93 dB @ 1 kHz
THD+N:                               < 0.001%
Dynamic range:                    > 115 dB @ 600 Ohm load (A-weighted)

Headphone outputs (XLR-4)

Headphone outputs (1⁄4“)

Wow that's high for the impedance. But I guess it's what senn needed it to be
For the senn cans. I'll try my IEM , s anyway. Funny thing at the ny show the guy
Could not answer but said headphones down to 8 ohms. What bull
Ty for the post

If I don't misunderstand to much, these specifications and the ones I found on the Sennheiser website, don't tell us the output impedance.

It seems to tell us:
  1. Only for use with headphones >= 16 ohm
  2. Output power max. 480 mW for 600 ohm headphones, but nothing about max. output power for other headphone impedance loads

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #472 of 3,016
I understand what you are saying

It's funny though when I asked them at the show they told
Me 8 ohms headphone min and he did not know the output
Imp.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #473 of 3,016
I've got mine today and after having the first ~3 hours of listening on HD 800 and LCD3 , I am just keep telling myself, one more track. I can hear the huge difference from my other amps (WA5-LE and Phonitor), So far I am loving it. Extremely detailed and open. Will definitely need some time to do a thorough analysis.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #474 of 3,016
Enjoy
When you can use the DAC with both of those amps
Also what DAC to you use at present with the two amps you mentioned.
AL.D.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #475 of 3,016
Quote:
I've got mine today and after having the first ~3 hours of listening on HD 800 and LCD3 , I am just keep telling myself, one more track. I can hear the huge difference from my other amps (WA5-LE and Phonitor), So far I am loving it. Extremely detailed and open. Will definitely need some time to do a thorough analysis.

im curious to find out how much of that better SQ is due to the DAC or the Amplifier section. One of the first reviews on this thread didnt rate the HDVD600 but the HDVD800 is getting good praise so far. Maybe the DAC section is very very good. 
 I look forward to your further impressions

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #477 of 3,016
After about 20h of listening of my new HDVD800 + HD800 I can just say,

Is it really possible that music can sound this way?!?!?

I tried my old HD650 and those was really good before in my ears. now i think they sound really booring and closed.

Im more than happy for the HDVD800 and HD800!

I drive them threw the usb port atm.

Waiting for my 4pin xlr to change to balanced

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #478 of 3,016
Remember you only get 88.2kHz out from the S/PDIF optical, the manual says that atleast.

And to install the Driver, I got some problems. when you try to install it threw the "program" on the CD you get some sort of error.

To install the driver without errors. i needed to open the CD threw the "my computer" then dubble click on the setup file. then i worked without problems. 

The usb support 192kHz/24bit

Here is the manual from the CD 

http://speedy.sh/HUS4K/HDVD800-A4-4549747-0912-EN-CD.pdf

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #479 of 3,016
Quote:
After about 20h of listening of my new HDVD800 + HD800 I can just say,

Is it really possible that music can sound this way?!?!?

the more i hear about this HDVD800 the more intrigued I am - They are still a month away in my country and it will probably be another month after that to get a chance to demo one - I cant wait to listen for myself - If I am impressed I better start planning on how to buy it without the wife knowing !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back