Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Apr 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #481 of 3,016
Lets someone who has headphones both ways chime in hear with any bal amp with both outputs.

I myself would like an answer

Ty

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #484 of 3,016
Quote:
After about 20h of listening of my new HDVD800 + HD800 I can just say,

Is it really possible that music can sound this way?!?!?

I tried my old HD650 and those was really good before in my ears. now i think they sound really booring and closed.

Im more than happy for the HDVD800 and HD800!

I drive them threw the usb port atm.

Waiting for my 4pin xlr to change to balanced

What headphone amp did you use before the Sennheiser? Did the HD650 sound remarkably better with the Sennheiser amp than the old one? (even if not as good as the HD800).

I am asking because I have plans to get the Sennheser amp but keep my HD650...

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #486 of 3,016
Balanced sounds much much better to me. HDVD 800 puts all my other amps to dust. Wow. HD800 and HDVD 800 is definitely a marriage made in heaven. I tried them on my digital as well as analog sources. Significantly improved soundstage, pure and natural. I turned up the volume to almost 95% and noticed zero distortion on HD 800 and LCD3.

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #487 of 3,016
Quote:
Balanced sounds much much better to me. HDVD 800 puts all my other amps to dust. Wow. HD800 and HDVD 800 is definitely a marriage made in heaven. I tried them on my digital as well as analog sources. Significantly improved soundstage, pure and natural. I turned up the volume to almost 95% and noticed zero distortion on HD 800 and LCD3.

What other amps do you have?

It hurts me to say this because the product is very well built and pretty, but I was a bit disappointed in the amps (more so the HDVD vs the HDVA) and I was working for Senn at a audio expo trying to sell them...

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #489 of 3,016
Quote:
I got to play around with the HDVD800 and HDVA600 at the Senn booth at the SSI in Montreal today; It reminds me a lot of the BHA-1 and mjolnir/gungnir combo; but of course there is no head to head comparison. They're on preorder for 2200$ taxes included and 1650$ taxes included respectively for the weekend audio show. I believe they ship in less than 4 weeks.

Do you know the ETA of the HDVD 800 in Canada yet?

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #490 of 3,016
Quote:
Interesting... So what amps did you compare it to?

I think it's comparable in sound to the Mjolnir and BHA-1, possibly neck-in-neck/ slightly better than the Mjolnir and inferior to the Bryston. I wouldn't compare it to many other tube amps I've tried as they generally synergize better with the HD800 (Super7, DNA Stratus, Zana Deux, Woo's like wa22, and other super high ends like the balancing act/ cavalli and whatnot. I personally have my well updated and tweaked McIntosh which sounds better than most if not all the amps listed, and it cost me around 1500$.

The HDVA600 is actually a good buy if you have extra budget to get an external dac; but the HDVD800 is reasonable if you want something all-in-one and not cumbersome. I actually preferred the Senn amps' pairings with the LCD3 to the HD800 (the HD800 is still better than the LCD3 in my opinion).
Quote:

Do you know the ETA of the HDVD 800 in Canada yet?

It was for pre-order at the time. For Quebec (mind you Sennheiser Canada is based there), they said expected to ship in late May maybe even June. I don't know, I don't work for Sennheiser in any way; I'm just a saleperson at a Hi-Fi shop and had the opportunity to represent them at an audio Expo.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 26, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #492 of 3,016
Quote:
What headphone amp did you use before the Sennheiser? Did the HD650 sound remarkably better with the Sennheiser amp than the old one? (even if not as good as the HD800).

I am asking because I have plans to get the Sennheser amp but keep my HD650...

I was using a Harmony Design Ear 90 Balanced to my hd650 ( a swedish company who make amps, about half the cost of HDVD800

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #493 of 3,016
Quote:
What other amps do you have?

As mentioned in my earlier post, Woo Audio WA5-LE and SPL Phonitor were currently my active amps with RME ADI-2 and Benchmark DAC1, besides other amps that are already sitting in my closet. BTW I did not know that my IE 800 would even sound that good until I tried them last night for a 4 hour listening span.

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #494 of 3,016
Quote:
 BTW I did not know that my IE 800 would even sound that good until I tried them last night for a 4 hour listening span.

really !! that is good news for me as I also own a pair -how did it affect the sound signature  ? 

Also previously you posted that this amp blew away your others to dust and you own a Lehman BCL which i also own so your impressions are of great interest to me. In what way was the HDVD800 way better than the BCL ?  Was it clarity ? I like the BCl but I feel it could be better in clarity and detail - 

Any further details would be much appreciated 

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #495 of 3,016
Quote:

but it turned out it was a completely newly developed balanced cable that Sennheiser will sell separately for approx $300. The designers at Sennheiser have put much effort into this cable.

Sorry if that question have been asked before but do you happen to know where we can buy that balanced cable from sennheiser shown on the picture?
I just can't find any information on the web about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back