Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Oct 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #196 of 3,016
Quote:
I tried driving them from the speaker outputs of some 20 year old Jeff Rowland model 3 power amps.  They worked fine, using an Audio Synthesis ProPassion passive preamp, although three notches on the volume controls was enough iirc (virtually nothing).  The sound was smooth with no noticeable noise, but it lacked drama, flair and drive.  I was underwhelmed and went back to my headphone amps.  I didn't use them on the power amps for more than an hour or so as the results weren't interesting enough, so I can't comment on whether long term damage might be done.  I just had to try it as the idea had been bugging me and the amps were gathering dust.

Damage should only occur if you turn the volume up too high.
The power used by the headphones will be the same at the same listening levels on any amplifier.
The only exception is if the power amplifier has a significant DC offset which may build up more heat.
In this case, when not playing any music, the earphones will go "click" when plugged or unplugged.

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #197 of 3,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrays /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Damage should only occur if you turn the volume up too high.
The power used by the headphones will be the same at the same listening levels on any amplifier.
The only exception is if the power amplifier has a significant DC offset which may build up more heat.
In this case, when not playing any music, the earphones will go "click" when plugged or unplugged.

Cool, that's good to know.  I saw a review once where a Krell power amp broke a nail by putting so much current through it it snapped (after they put it directly across the speaker outputs and shorted the amp). The amp broke the short circuit rather than keeling over*.  But that's probably the opposite of high impedance headphones (I can't remember how it all works now).  I did run a test with my old HD650s first, in case something exploded. :)

*Don't try this at home!

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #198 of 3,016
All this for that .. I am disappointed Head-fi: (

So there.

I'm going with my HD800 at IFA in order to compare directly to some other coasque but also listened to different amp:wink:

And we spent just 1hr Seen with engineers who developed the HD800 in a comparative listening HD700 VS HD800 on HDVD800 amp.

I could also listen to my HD800 amp BeyerDynamic on A1.

It is clear that the HDVD800 is really above the A1. This amp / DAC fully exploits the HD800.

For lack of time we could hear the T1 HDVD800 this: (

We also tapping engineers with a system DX100 DX100 + + HD800 and T1 and engineers was very surprised made ​​this little box. Well there was not all it takes to withstand the HD800 and T1 but at moderate volume it was truly impressed.

Remains to return to it HDVD800 drive the HD800 a master hand and listening is pleasurable.

I await its release here in Europe this month normally.

I Film and Mount video for my forum it's for that i go to IFA :wink: LooK Here french video for Seen 

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #200 of 3,016
WHAT !!?

Burson HA160 ? i mean, really !!? is that the reference amp for HD800 !?!

Burson costs 600USD this one costs 2000USD. there you got your A-B.

I am curious which approach will sennheiser take : BCL way or the Luxman way. ( both in balanced though )

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #202 of 3,016
Don't you know that the HA-160D is DAC, AMP and preamp? Coaxial and USB digital inputs, three sets of analog out (III, II, and I), pre-amp out. Not the 160 as amp alone...

For me it's 1150€ vs 1800€ and the burson is higly acclaimed as a very good combo with the HD800.

What I want to know is which of the all-in-one (HA-160D/Conductor, Eximus DP-1, BCL with USB, etc..) performs vs this one. Next month I'll be getting one and because I can't hear any of them I rely on you to guide me.

Cheers

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #203 of 3,016
Quote:
Don't you know that the HA-160D is DAC, AMP and preamp? Coaxial and USB digital inputs, three sets of analog out (III, II, and I), pre-amp out. Not the 160 as amp alone...

For me it's 1150€ vs 1800€ and the burson is higly acclaimed as a very good combo with the HD800.

What I want to know is which of the all-in-one (HA-160D/Conductor, Eximus DP-1, BCL with USB, etc..) performs vs this one. Next month I'll be getting one and because I can't hear any of them I rely on you to guide me.

Cheers

The HD800 likes a warm amp in my opinion. It takes the fatiguing edge out of the highs and makes it fuller sounding, something that the HD800 needs.

I've heard the HA-160D with it and it's a good combo, very enjoyable even for prolonged listening.

The BCL not so much - it's neutral and the DAC section is nothing special. It does the job but without any real magic.

For your budget you could also look at a separate dac and tube amp for instance, especially if you're prepared to look at the second hand market.

But if you just want to go for a maintence free easy solution the HA-160D is good choice.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #205 of 3,016
Quote:
The HD800 likes a warm amp in my opinion. It takes the fatiguing edge out of the highs and makes it fuller sounding, something that the HD800 needs.

I've heard the HA-160D with it and it's a good combo, very enjoyable even for prolonged listening.

The BCL not so much - it's neutral and the DAC section is nothing special. It does the job but without any real magic.

For your budget you could also look at a separate dac and tube amp for instance, especially if you're prepared to look at the second hand market.

But if you just want to go for a maintence free easy solution the HA-160D is good choice.

Thank you very much!

Now I just need to read some reviews on the HDVD800 :)

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #206 of 3,016
Quote:

The DAC portion of the Burson HA-160D measures extremely poorly and I wouldn't recommend it based on that alone. Measurements might not always tell the full story, but they are so poor that it shouldn't be recommended for serious listening, heck even inbuilt audio in computers beats it.

I would recommend the HA-160 as an amp however.

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #207 of 3,016
I don't see how we will get a review until the DAC/AMP actually sells somewhere.

Has anyone seen it for sale? Was it at CanJam?  I have mainly seen graphics, not the box, at least not close enough to see anything.

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #209 of 3,016
Quote:
The new analogue HDVA 600 will be available at selected Sennheiser sales partners as of October, while the digital HDVD 800 starting from November.

that's great news, will know how good the amplifier is ( both HDVA600 and HDVD800 share same amp section ) .

IMO Amp is what's everyone is waiting for, not the DAC. But yeah HDVD800 is a better buy cause you get a balanced - Matching amp ( probably ) at just 400 extra (approx)

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #210 of 3,016
I honestly don't think that people should be expecting too much.

There are so many great amps out there already; burson, red wine audio, luxman, rsa, lehmann, schiit, violectric etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back