Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Oct 16, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #211 of 3,016
out of these i simply dont think Burson , RWA, Schiit, Violectric are good match for HD800.

Burson is good , Nothing Great. An allround amp, works good with most HPs, but excels at none.
Schiit is Is not a good match for HD800, its more of an audeze amp.
RWA too is nothing special with HD800.
Vioelectric, people go that way only when they cant buy 1000+ amp and dont want the sound of BCL.

as stated before the " made for HD800, by HD800 makers" is what is appealing me. no one understands HD800 better than sennheiser.

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #213 of 3,016
out of these i simply dont think Burson , RWA, Schiit, Violectric are good match for HD800.

Burson is good , Nothing Great. An allround amp, works good with most HPs, but excels at none.
Vioelectric, people go that way only when they cant buy 1000+ amp and dont want the sound of BCL.

as stated before the " made for HD800, by HD800 makers" is what is appealing me. no one understands HD800 better than sennheiser.

While this is Sennheiser's supreme headphone knowledge is indeed true, their experience and knowledge in designing and manufacturing a DAC or a headphone amplifier is not on a par with many of the companies that you cite. I would be cautious in jumping into a generation 1, Sennheiser DAC/Amp. It may indeed be a great DAC/Amp or perhaps not as good as others that are available out there from a sound or reliability perspective.

My $.02

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #214 of 3,016
Quote:

And thats what the marketing is hoping for.
Enter the business of overpriced amps.

Why should I pay as much or more for an amp than the actual headphone?

despite that, I think it's a sexy looking amp.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #215 of 3,016
who said ill buy them as soon as its launched, ill wait for the reviews , but that's not stopping me to keep my hopes up.

@iim7V7IM7 , sennheiser has a long history in electronics, they aren't just headphone makers, they make recording/studio equipments as well. searching shows they do make amplifiers as well.

And dont forget HEV90, besides Headamp aristaeus ( which is based on the HEV90 design ) there is no other amp that pairs as good with Sennheiser HE90 headphones.

so , i dont doubt their expertise.

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #216 of 3,016
Quote:

Which Schiit components are you referring to here?

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #217 of 3,016
Quote:

Which Schiit components are you referring to here?

I think he may refer to the ones you possess, though I read your posts and your comments about the combo Gungnir+Mjolnir+HD800 are good.

Is a combo I'm looking to get myself (maybe, let's see first how the HDVD800 and the Burson Conductor performs).

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #218 of 3,016
Keep in mind am not here to look for good amp , am here for the BEST amp for HD800, i have other HPs and am not going to be using this amp for others ( well if matches well with my other HPs, i might , but thats not going to affect my decision ) .

Only amps that contend for the BEST amp for HD800 are  : BCL, Luxman p1(u), Zena Duex and for balanced,  RSA B52, Balancing act.
I might be missing some , but am sure schiit, RWA, Vioelecric, Burson , is not one of them.

Am sure Mojolnir is a good amp, and might sound good with HD800 but are you willing to bet that that pairing is the BEST for HD800 ?

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #219 of 3,016
No, I wouldn't compare the Mjolnir to those amps as I've not heard them. I just wanted to know if you've had direct experience with all Schiit components to be qualified to make such a sweeping statement (that they're not a good match for the HD800). Thanks for confirming my hunch.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #220 of 3,016
Of course - everyone reading this should know that as this level there is no *best* but the challenge is to put together a system with good synergy that plays the kind of music you want the way you like it.

It's not any different than choosing a Jeep for a trip in the rocky mountains and a Audi RS6 for Autobahn.

Horses for courses.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #221 of 3,016
yup there are as many best(s) as there are people.

BCL+HD800 is a very unique paring. Many here dont like that sound. but some say its the best for HD800. thats why i placed them in that bracket.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #225 of 3,016
In terms of people questioning Sennheiser's expertise at making headphone amps, even ignoring the HEV90, it's an odd sentiment.

Sennheiser is a major corporation who have been making headphones and microphones for professional and consumer markets for a long time. Any expertise they don't already have in house they have the resources to hire. Some of the companies people have glowingly quoted as being the true experts at headphone amp design are very small companies with self taught DIYer at the helm.

Some of those companies make great amps, some make questionable products that have gained favour in a small online community through customer reviews and group think. Not going to say which I think are which, as I'm not even trying to denigrate anyone, but lets just be realistic here. 

If Sennheiser want to make a headphone amp, they are going to use credentialed electrical engineers with experience of working for other renowned corporations on similar products. They are going to have all the tools to test and measure and perfect the product they are making. Sennheiser is not a guy sketching out a DIY amp idea in his garage, working by trial and error and judging success by ear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back