Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Oct 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #181 of 3,016
I don't think the BCL works with the HD650 well at all. It makes them sound very boring and rolled off with the treble. The the HD650 is pretty hard to make sing properly. It's more about synergy than "driving capability".

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #182 of 3,016
Quote:
I can't seem to find this - can you provide a link?

I did this video a long time ago so don't laugh at the lack of experience.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #183 of 3,016
I am glad I still have a good friends here loving their BCL like I love mine.

Since I love my LCD-2 more than HD650, I tuned BCL gain setting for LCD-2.

Low gain definitely have more resolution, livelier treble (but still smooth), but a little colder and lack of bass dynamic and punch, so I always set medium gain for my LCD-2.

I am so satisfied with the balance (tonality, warmth, resolution and punch) from medium gain I do not want to bother to test the high gain, which I suspect, looking at the trend, will be even more punch, but even more less of resolution.
I noticed, gain can affect the sound tonality quite a lot!

I don't test the gain so much with HD650.  I am curious which gain do you guys use to drive HD60?

Maybe I do not so much like HD650 sluggish bass, but I find I like BCL better suited for HD800 than HD650.  I don't like HD800 sibilance too, btw.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #185 of 3,016
Quote:
I am glad I still have a good friends here loving their BCL like I love mine.

Since I love my LCD-2 more than HD650, I tuned BCL gain setting for LCD-2.

Low gain definitely have more resolution, livelier treble (but still smooth), but a little colder and lack of bass dynamic and punch, so I always set medium gain for my LCD-2.

I am so satisfied with the balance (tonality, warmth, resolution and punch) from medium gain I do not want to bother to test the high gain, which I suspect, looking at the trend, will be even more punch, but even more less of resolution.
I noticed, gain can affect the sound tonality quite a lot!

I don't test the gain so much with HD650.  I am curious which gain do you guys use to drive HD60?

Maybe I do not so much like HD650 sluggish bass, but I find I like BCL better suited for HD800 than HD650.  I don't like HD800 sibilance too, btw.

i too have the lehmann BCL and the HD800's - i agree with your findings especially the comment about sibilance (or just a little too trebly) 
I have been following this thread closely as I believe the HD800's are an exceptional headphone and there is more to be had from its performance- so am keen to see if sennH have come up with a beauty and really filled out the sound of the HD800's and tamed the treble/sibilance that many people observe.

Did anyone see the Q & A with Axel Grell - he was asked which amp is the most suited for the HD800's and of course he quotes the new HDV800 - However I am hoping that it is not just complete marketing speak and that they really do have something up their sleeve 

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #187 of 3,016
I hope its not just another amp for HD800. Made by sennheiser, for hd800, it must be the the best amp for I. No one knows HD800 better than sennheiser, moreover they have something other manufacturers don't have, " made for HD800" tag. Other manufacturers can't afford to make an amp specifically for one HP.
Hope.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #188 of 3,016
Quote:
Hey, I used to have Solo as well. How do you find Solo compared to BCL?

well with the HD650's the solo was fantastic - i should have stopped there and been content but got a chance to buy a newish 2nd hand pair of HD800's at a very good price and the solo just couldnt drive them - at first i thought i had been sold a dud pair of HD800's as the sound was weak and anaemic compared to the sweet tones of the 650/solo combo. I then did some research and found that Senn was using the BCL to demo the HD800's and basically bought one based on that alone. -

I wish there was a headphone or amp that could combine the rich tonal qualities of the 650's and the clarity/soundstage of the HD800's - maybe there is - 

I dont use the Solo anymore - tried to sell it but bids were too low to accept so keeping it for a rainy day that may or may not come

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #189 of 3,016
Well, I guess I'll venture my question here and hope someone can answer it:

Can the HD-800 be powered from a speaker amp? Has anyone tried it? Opinions? (Of course, I'll have a sensitive volume control.)

Thank you for your consideration.

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #190 of 3,016
Quote:

Can the HD-800 be powered from a speaker amp? Has anyone tried it? Opinions? (Of course, I'll have a sensitive volume control.)

I would definitely not recommend it. You would have almost no leeway of adjustment with the volume pot (from my experience) depending on the amp you use of course. It's very sensitive and you are bound to have a lot of noise floor.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #191 of 3,016
Quote:

Did anyone see the Q & A with Axel Grell - he was asked which amp is the most suited for the HD800's and of course he quotes the new HDV800 - However I am hoping that it is not just complete marketing speak and that they really do have something up their sleeve 

Assuming it wasn't all marketing talk, I believe Mr. Grell's previous preferred amplifier was the V200, so perhaps amp will be more forgiving than what most people are expecting? We'll have to see though...

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #193 of 3,016
I too think the HA-160 is one of the best matches for the HD650, it's one of the few amps I know of that makes the HD650 really come alive.

It drives the HD800 as well but the synergy isn't as good, quite a lot of detail is lost and the Burson is a little too unsophisticated for the HD800. But you don't notice that at all on the HD650, it's a great combo.

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #194 of 3,016
My friend who has HD600 and the Burson, is not very satisfied with the combo. He loves the HD600, but still feels that Burson is holding it back. not just HD600 the DT880/600 also.

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #195 of 3,016
Quote:

I tried driving them from the speaker outputs of some 20 year old Jeff Rowland model 3 power amps.  They worked fine, using an Audio Synthesis ProPassion passive preamp, although three notches on the volume controls was enough iirc (virtually nothing).  The sound was smooth with no noticeable noise, but it lacked drama, flair and drive.  I was underwhelmed and went back to my headphone amps.  I didn't use them on the power amps for more than an hour or so as the results weren't interesting enough, so I can't comment on whether long term damage might be done.  I just had to try it as the idea had been bugging me and the amps were gathering dust.

As I'd already upgraded my headphone cable I just cut the end off the stock one and bare-wire connected it to the speaker terminals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back