Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Dec 7, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,868 of 3,016
  Have anyone compared the RCA and XLR input on the HDVD800/HDVA600? Is there any difference in sound from RCA to XLR?

I compared it using my Benchmark DAC1 and IMO there's no difference in sound quality. There IS a difference in sound volume, with RCA being a bit louder even at minimum gain setting, but that's about it.

IMO, the slightly quieter XLR input, combined by the perception that XLR would always be better could lead someone into believing the XLR input is "cleaner" and/or "clearer". But level-matched, I don't think there is any difference whatsoever. YMMV.

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #2,869 of 3,016
Is the performance of planars on this unit that bad? 

I may look at a Blackwood as a future purchase, so was curious about the performance of T50rp based cans on this Amp/Dac. That, and how well other planar units perform on this unit.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #2,871 of 3,016
Hi everyone, is Sennheiser coming out with a new amp to "replace" HDVD800 ?
I just purchased the HD800S and I plan to pair it with a Sennheiser amp + balanced for synergy :)

I seriously doubt it considering it was first shown as a prototype at the 2015 at the Fujiya Avic Tokyo Headphone Festival. Sennheiser obviously abandoned the development for whatever reasons.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #2,872 of 3,016
I don't know about the HD800 S but since it carries the same model number with the S after it I assume it is a slight tweak on the original and not fundamentally different.  The 800S should work fine with the HDVD800 or HDVD600 if you want to get a better DAC. I got a Benchmark DAC2 HGC but found no improvement over the DAC in my Marantz SA8005 CD player, so now I have a $2000  volume control with a remote.  With the HDVD 800 I had to walk over ten feet to adjust volume. Nice but worth $2000 (discounted to $1400 used?).  Well, I got it.   I just pass the signal through the Benchmark as a line signal and use the pot before sending it along to the HDVD 800.  Senn is probably going to drop the HD800 and only offer the S model, they are being lowballed  for around $995 on Amazon and other sites.  You buy, you listen, you learn.

You should be fine with the HDVD800.  It is reported the HD800s sound a bit screechy in the treble with some amps but this is not the case with the HDVD800 as it is designed for the HD800 and other 300 ohm Senn cans.

Bill

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #2,873 of 3,016
Thanks for inputs and info ! #thumbsup
Disappointed that there will be no new version.
Did call Sennheiser Singapore and they said that there are no news of a new headphone amp too.

I will probably get the HDVD800 to pair with my HD800S.
But are there different versions ?
Should I but new or used ones is the same ? 
Read from this thread that the old version uses a PCM 1792 chip and there is a new version that uses a PCM 1794 chip ?
Also, is there a BLACK HDVD800 ?
If so, is it only different in color or ?

Apologies for the multiple questions :) 

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,874 of 3,016
I think the Black with the 1794 chip was the HDVD800S that was announced in 2015 but hasn't materialised.

There was talk of it supporting MQA and being tuned for the HD800S rather than the HD800.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #2,875 of 3,016
One version of HDVD800.  HDVA600 is same amp without the DAC.

As far as I know, only one color, silver.

The DAC in the 800 is only OK.  You might want the 600 with some better DAC, The DAC chip I believe is a Burr Brown 179_something. They don't say in the manual. I had a Denon DVD3930 player with a 1796 chip which was awesome but the player became problematical so I switched to Marantz SA8005 with a Cirrus Logic chip which is equal to the Denon and more reliable.  My Oppo 95 with a Sabre 32 DAC chip is excellent too, even more detailed than the Burr Brown or Cirrus Logic but a bit bass shy at times it seems.

Used is fine.  I bought mine used for $1400 on eBay from some high end dealer in Boulder who took it in trade for some Macintosh gear.  No problem with this guy.  But with eBay there always is some possibility.  Just watch who you're buying from___buyer feedback.

Or you might want the Sennheiser Orpheus.  It comes with both the cans and the special amp for it.  Only $55,000.  That's right, and the right number of zeros too.  You can google it and drool. 

The HD800 and HDVD pairing are excellent.  I tried a Benchmark DAC2 HGC $2000 which did not improve upon the DAC in my CD player, a Cirrus Logic something or other.  In addition to the chip used, the output quality of a DAC may have something to do with other electronics in the output stage too.  I am happy, you will be too with the rig your are contemplating.
The only thing I would recommend to save bucks with an amp is Creek OBH-11 $225 which can be had used for about $100.  It has good synergy with the HD Sennheisers, both 600 and 800.  I tried a $1300  Burson headphone amp which didn't work out too well.  The only way to approach this stuff is to listen to it.  The proof is in your ears.  It might be a good amp with good synergy with some cans but not mesh well with yours.

Buy the HDVD 800, or 600.  You won't be sorry you did and finally settle the matter instead of driving yourself crazy wondering what to buy forever and ever.  I did it and am finished.  If I wanted something better I would have to be thinking of LCD4 or Abyss with Cavalli Liquid Gold amp or Pass Labs new thing;..............$7500 to $11 or $12,000 total, somewhere up in those brackets.  And I am not taking this hobby that far.

Now if I can just figure out how JRiver works and how I can integrate with this spiffy new Onkyo DP-X1 portable player I bought.  Hmmmmm, I'm getting there.  Do you know anything about JRiver and how it works?  Do I load the playlist onto the SDXC cards from JRiver or put the card in the player and find it from there through the USB connection? 

Good luck to both of us.

Bill

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #2,876 of 3,016
The correct model names are: 

HDVA 600
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/headphone-audio-amplification-hdva-600-acoustic

HDVD 800
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/headphone-audio-amplification-hdvd-800-acoustic

HDVD 800 (prototype): 
http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/5e/5e3334c2_Sennheiser-HD800S-with-HDVD800_DSC04835.jpeg 

A and D in the model names refer to analog and digital while V refers to verstärker which translates to amplifier-- hence HDVD and HDVA.   

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #2,877 of 3,016
Thanks Bill for your kind advice and sharing your experience.

I will hunt for a HDVD800 and enjoy with the HD800S via balanced output.

I intend to connect as follows :

iPhone6s>Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter>FuruTech GT Pro USB A to B or Audioquest Carbon USB A to B>HDVD800>CH800S>HD800S

And in time to come, maybe upgrade the headphone cables or the Furutech/Audioquest cables.

Is there a better way to connect the iPhone6s to the HDVD800 ?
I am not comfortable using the apple USB 3 adapter :frowning2:

What will be a better source than the iPhone 6s ?

And I'm sorry that I do not know much about JRiver .. lol

Felix
SG

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #2,878 of 3,016
Sorry, don't know about iPhones or any cellphones.  I don't even have one.  Cellphones are all MP3 aren't they?  Will an IPhone hold higher rez music files, like FLAC or WAV.  I know iTunes will handle ALAC but not FLAC.  Can an iPhone handle ALAC? I thought that was just for iPods.

All my sources are at least iPod.  Then CDs.  I am just now getting into computer audio, being forced to by acquiring this Onkyo player.  I was thinking about Astelle & Kern AK240 but too pricey for me for portable, $2500.  Then I found the Onkyo DP-X1, $800 ($555 on eBay)  which probably sounds just as good and most of the bells & whistles.. Trying to figure it all out now.  I succeeded in transferring some FLAC files to the player and WOW, much better than the iPod with its ****ty DAC & amp.

As far as cables.  I use XLR from Oppo 95 > amp and RCA from Marantz > amp.  Outbound I use XLR4.cable from Zycable in China $150 about >HD800.  Senn wants about $350 for theirs, and a ten foot XLR4 extension from Blue Jeans cable, about $45 if you need length.  I am happy with what I have and find it hard to imagine any appreciable improvement.

Good luck. Just curious, where are you located by the way?

Bill

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,879 of 3,016
Hi Bill, I am from Singapore :)

I am using my iPhone 6s as my source with apple lossless audio files.

We can download apps like Onkyo HF Player and play Hi Res music files via the iPhone but I am giving it a miss at the moment because it is hard to get my fav songs in Hi Res formats.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #2,880 of 3,016
I think practically anything would be a better source than a cellphone.  But if you want to use your iPhone as a source Apple Lossless (ALAC) is fine as a file format, same idea as FLAC, and I would recommend USB 2connection.  Any HD would be better for home as long as you have some music management app, and a portable player, even an iPod would be better, or better yet the Onkyo DP-X1.  There are cheaper, Pioneer, a lot being introduced right now.  I have a Nuforce ICON iDO next to my desktop that I got to run my cans from my iPod.  Better DAC and amp than built into iPod, but nowhere near what the Sennheiser HDVD800 will give you.  Just be sure to stay away from MP3 or any of the low rez file formats. 

Not having a cell phone it is difficult for me to imagine getting quality audio out of one but it you stick to ALAC and get the signal to the Sennhieser end you should be OK.....................I guess.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back