Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jul 11, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #2,836 of 3,016

That would be really interesting.

I'm hesitant to replace Schiit Bifrost 4490 & Asgard 2 for HDVD 800. At first one would say the HDVD 800 should be superior, but the Bifrost 4490 is a superb DAC and it's upgradeable while HDVD800 has a fixed built in DAC with less than stellar reviews, then the Asgard 2 is a clean yet slightly warm SS amplifier, that should be similar to the amp on HDVD800, we all know there's not huge variance among quality SS amps. On top of that, the output impedance is much lower on the Asgard 2 making it a better match for low impedance dynamic headphones.

So yeah... The HDVD800 looks great, and surely pairs well with HD700/HD800/DT880/T1, but Schiit stuff offers plenty of value and versatility.

For instance, the Gungnir MB is regarded among the best DACs out there. Maybe the best for the price and it's upgradable.
Then the Mjolnir 2 can be both Tube and a SS and has really low output impedance unlike the HDVD800.
So the 2k Schiit stack seems to be a no brainer next to the 2k Senn HDVD800.
Except maybe if you have a matching headphone for HDVD800 (say HD800) and appreciate the simplicity, slightly fancier looks, and the Sennheiser blessing.

Thanks for the insight, I'll go demo some of these units at my local retailers and listen for myself.

Jul 11, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #2,837 of 3,016
Had this for over a year now. Sounds incredible with my HD650, HD800 and HD800S. Dont think ill be using another amp for the HD series:p. With the LCD3F and LCD4, it does't exactly have a perfect synergy but its able to drive them decently. Sounds terribly bloated on my LCDX and every other low impedance cans though.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #2,839 of 3,016
There are no new credible updates. However, a dealer named Novo Musica in Zaragoza, Spain is the first retailer to create a product page for the HDVD820: http://www.novomusica.com/tienda/imagen-sonido-profesional/sennheiser-hdvd820-amplificador-dac-auriculares This is unlikely credible and Sennheiser still points to an October 2016 release date. 

Considering Sennheriser spent more than one full year redesigning the HDVD, they have no excuses now-- whatever they release will have to be perfect and able to definitively outperform everything in and out of its class. Though seeing they simply used the ESS ES9018S in their €50,000 HE-1 I'm not so sure we can expect more in the HDVD. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #2,840 of 3,016
  There are no new credible updates. However, a dealer named Novo Musica in Zaragoza, Spain is the first retailer to create a product page for the HDVD820: http://www.novomusica.com/tienda/imagen-sonido-profesional/sennheiser-hdvd820-amplificador-dac-auriculares This is unlikely credible and Sennheiser still points to an October 2016 release date. 

Considering Sennheriser spent more than one full year redesigning the HDVD, they have no excuses now-- whatever they release will have to be perfect and able to definitively outperform everything in and out of its class. Though seeing they simply used the ESS ES9018S in their €50,000 HE-1 I'm not so sure we can expect more in the HDVD. 

Thanks a lot iDesing for the montly "news feed" 
beerchug.gif
  At least every other day I try to find some news myself and i haven't even come cross myself to that Novo Musica's page. 

It is important to make sure that the DAC pairs well with the amp-section. The HDVD800 dac's did pair pretty well with the amp-section, the DAC was just simply bad on its own. I don't mind if the DAC is "decent" on its own, if it pairs well with the amp... They can just ad 8-chips in there like the HE-1 did to make it perfect :wink:

But you are 100% correct. It has to be perfect. In October 2015 they showed the prototype. If they released in 2016 october, they have had fully functional prototype for over a year.  There really is no excuses.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #2,841 of 3,016
Here's sonething i saw today.

I dont think sennheiser has been selling the hdva600 for a while but two retailers in australia seem to be selling the hdva600 at a great (clearance) price. $999.

Normally about $1400-$1800

Addicted to audio and noisy motel
(Apart from having bought some gear there i have no affiliation with either)

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #2,845 of 3,016
  Any news on the HDVD 8XX? 

Sennheiser has been hard at work releasing everything except the HDVD800 successor. 
  1. http://en-de.sennheiser.com/gaming-amplifiers-accessories?v4r
  2. http://en-de.sennheiser.com/ifa-2016

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #2,846 of 3,016

Sennheiser has been hard at work releasing everything except the HDVD800 successor. 
  1. http://en-de.sennheiser.com/gaming-amplifiers-accessories?v4r
  2. http://en-de.sennheiser.com/ifa-2016

Exactly my troughs...

In early-october there is Canjam RMAF, maybe........?
I didn't think Sennheiser would release any news of the amp during IFA (alltrough they are hosted in Berlin, Germany). The event is focused mainly on the general consumer. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #2,848 of 3,016
Oct 6, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #2,849 of 3,016

The HDVD800 is now listed as Out of Stock. Could this be in preparation for the release of a successor or has Sennheiser just given up? Fortunately Sennheiser's social media team is still hard at work promoting products that are unavailable (when in reality the old HDVD800 would make for a better #TBT post). 

HDVD 800 has been out of stock for an quite a while now. (Depending on what Sennheiser's region website you look)  And for an whole year they have given away review copies of HDVD 800 and HD800-combo. (More than usually imho) 

Also for the past year they have promoted HD800 and HDVD800 a lot. HD800S however, not so much. This might be an indication that HD800S sells a lot better than HD800.

But we will see... Personally not raising my hopes that we will see the amp in 2016.

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #2,850 of 3,016
Hello,

Is this a good buy for 1,900? I currently use an AK380 Copper but looking for a desktop setup.

Comes with HD800 + HDVD800 + Balanced cable + power cord, headphone stand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back