Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
May 24, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #2,821 of 3,016
i wanna take back what i said about the t1 beyer its a beautiful smooth mellow headphone ,the perfict compliment to the st

unning precision of the hd800s
These 2 headphones are a must to have for me also:). Now i am enjoying Beyerdynamic T1.1 and saving up for a good dac and latter on HD800s should folow. I am really jealous of your setup:D. Have a good listen:wink:.

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #2,823 of 3,016
  Oh lord @iDesign, any news on the HDVD 800 "Black" that i might have missed?   Its June allready... 

None. Sennheiser has not released any more information about the HDVD800. I've been critical of Sennheiser's poor marketing and communication strategy for the HD 800 S and HDVD800 and now you can see the consternation it created among dealers and consumers. Although Sennheiser representatives are reading this thread, they seem to only reply awkwardly to a handful of posts with comments like, "awesome review" so you certainly won't get the info you need here.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #2,824 of 3,016

None. Sennheiser has not released any more information about the HDVD800. I've been critical of Sennheiser's poor marketing and communication strategy for the HD 800 S and HDVD800 and now you can see the consternation it created among dealers and consumers. Although Sennheiser representatives are reading this thread, they seem to only reply awkwardly to a handful of posts with comments like, "awesome review" so you certainly won't get the info you need here.

I agree. Sennheiser could really step up their marketing, in terms of their "high-end" headphones and Amp/dac's. Just give us some info about this product. Any news like Q2/16 or Q3/16, about when will we see the product or in what state is the prototype currently? 

In the Octrober last year, Grell showed us the prototype. He said "it will take some more month" to be ready for serial production.  Now after 8-9 months we are still waiting for any news/rumours about this product... Its frustrating to say the least. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #2,825 of 3,016
So I was expecting the Hdvd820 this month when I pre-ordered it but I called the shop who called the Distributor and here are the news :

The release of the HDVD820 has been postponed to October 2016.
Because of the recent hype over the Meridian Mqa. http://tinyurl.com/nquvjky
Sennheiser is now looking into getting a Dac Mqa compatible because they don't want to pull out their new baby without the latest technology.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #2,826 of 3,016
http://en-de.sennheiser.com/shape-the-future-of-audio-art-basel

I know this is just shot to the dark, but does this post bring us any hope that we might see it before october?

I mean, if they are showing it publicly at Art Basel and in their only picture they include it. I'm sure they are not so far of from serial production..? 

Jun 21, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #2,827 of 3,016
  http://en-de.sennheiser.com/shape-the-future-of-audio-art-basel

I know this is just shot to the dark, but does this post bring us any hope that we might see it before october?

I mean, if they are showing it publicly at Art Basel and in their only picture they include it. I'm sure they are not so far of from serial production..? 

Amusing. I just dont understand what Sennheiser is doing with this amplifier. Their marketing plan is seriously to show this at Art Basel alongside superstar-DJ Robin Schulz? I'm beyond words. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #2,828 of 3,016

Amusing. I just dont understand what Sennheiser is doing with this amplifier. Their marketing plan is seriously to show this at Art Basel alongside superstar-DJ Robin Schulz? I'm beyond words. 

This. The only picture they post, in the only picture they show it alongside with HD800S. They must be some reason why they include it in the photo... Sennheiser could really step up their marketing, and finally tell some info/facts about this amp. It's amusing and frustrating at the same time.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2,829 of 3,016
where do diminishing returns start on this? like they say the HD800S headphones are made to be used with the HDVD800, but since the o2odac is just as good or better than the hdvd800 for a small fraction of the price, are the HD800S noticeably better than the HD650s since the HD650s scale with amp/dacs and since the o2odac is one of the best dac/amps on the planet does that mean 650hd+o2odac > hd800S + hdvd800? 

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,830 of 3,016
  i wanna take back what i said about the t1 beyer its a beautiful smooth mellow headphone ,the perfict compliment to the st

unning precision of the hd800s

I share your views.
T1.1 is a very musical headphone with a very realistic presentation, although a bit less technical than HD800/S

HDVD800 seems to be a very good SS match for both of them.

Happy Listening!

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #2,831 of 3,016
  where do diminishing returns start on this? like they say the HD800S headphones are made to be used with the HDVD800, but since the o2odac is just as good or better than the hdvd800 for a small fraction of the price, are the HD800S noticeably better than the HD650s since the HD650s scale with amp/dacs and since the o2odac is one of the best dac/amps on the planet does that mean 650hd+o2odac > hd800S + hdvd800? 

Differences among headphones are bigger than differences among amplifiers/dacs.
Soundstage on HD800S is bigger than HD650, the overall response in HD800S is flater (brighter with less bass), and layering is superior.
Since both are very good headphones, your preferences might play a big role here. First you need to know what kind of sound you appreciate, then look for the right headphone.
Price has very little to do with enjoyment once you get into high grade stuff (like these two headphones)

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #2,832 of 3,016

The HD 650 is significantly different and it compliments the HD 800 and HD 800 S more than it competes with it. As for the JPS Labs ODAC, I feel the HDVD 800 is significantly better with the HD 800 and HD 800 S.  

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #2,833 of 3,016
The hdvd800 provides great synergy with the HD800 and is an excellent sounding SS Amp. But the reputation here on headfi is that it has a less than stellar dac, which I disagree. I've had this amp for a couple years now and have been happy with it since. I love how it makes my HD800 sound. I'm looking forward to hearing the next iteration of this amp/Dac.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #2,835 of 3,016
  I was wondering if anyone compared the HDVD 800 against the Schiit Gungnir & Mjolnir 2 combination?

What are the thoughts between these products?

That would be really interesting.

I'm hesitant to replace Schiit Bifrost 4490 & Asgard 2 for HDVD 800. At first one would say the HDVD 800 should be superior, but the Bifrost 4490 is a superb DAC and it's upgradeable while HDVD800 has a fixed built in DAC with less than stellar reviews, then the Asgard 2 is a clean yet slightly warm SS amplifier, that should be similar to the amp on HDVD800, we all know there's not huge variance among quality SS amps. On top of that, the output impedance is much lower on the Asgard 2 making it a better match for low impedance dynamic headphones.

So yeah... The HDVD800 looks great, and surely pairs well with HD700/HD800/DT880/T1, but Schiit stuff offers plenty of value and versatility.

For instance, the Gungnir MB is regarded among the best DACs out there. Maybe the best for the price and it's upgradable.
Then the Mjolnir 2 can be both Tube and a SS and has really low output impedance unlike the HDVD800.
So the 2k Schiit stack seems to be a no brainer next to the 2k Senn HDVD800.
Except maybe if you have a matching headphone for HDVD800 (say HD800) and appreciate the simplicity, slightly fancier looks, and the Sennheiser blessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back