Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Apr 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #2,791 of 3,016
If anyone happens to be looking for an HDVD800, I am currently letting mine go after upgrading.

Less than 100 hours, in great condition and has the original box and papers.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #2,792 of 3,016
  There was some talk/speculation earlier that it would just be a different color, but I guess we can safely assume there will be more extensive changes with the delay and all. My guess is they are taking the DAC part (based on ESS Sabre 9018) from the new electrostatic flagship and making some adjustments to the amplifier section.

Indeed. They can code new FW- update to support DSD-files in a week, repainting will take half a day. 

There is going to be some improvements under the hood. Hopefully they are big and focused bringing DAC-part up to the bar with AMP-section. It's indeed likely that they tune it to be fantastic synergy with the HD 800S, just the way that the original Silver-version was with the original HD800.

This dac/amp is the final part of my puzzle what i'm waiting before pulling trigger in my big upgrade and stepping in to the "big-guns". Hopefully its worth the wait :p

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #2,793 of 3,016
  There was some talk/speculation earlier that it would just be a different color, but I guess we can safely assume there will be more extensive changes with the delay and all. My guess is they are taking the DAC part (based on ESS Sabre 9018) from the new electrostatic flagship and making some adjustments to the amplifier section.

It has been confirmed that the changes are not just simply color. Axel Grell confirms the HVDVD 800 will now support DSD: https://youtu.be/Z2eLgayhLGY?t=50 

At the Sennheiser Reshaping Excellence event in January 2016, Sennheiser launched the HD 800 S and HDVD 800 and the plaque in the photo reads:
"HD 800 & HDVD 800 black
Reference class headphones meet HD 800 HDVD 800
amplifier with Burr-Brown DAC Able to play DSD files" 

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,794 of 3,016

It has been confirmed that the changes are not just simply color. Axel Grell confirms the HVDVD 800 will now support DSD: https://youtu.be/Z2eLgayhLGY?t=50 

At the Sennheiser Reshaping Excellence event in January 2016, Sennheiser launched the HD 800 S and HDVD 800 and the plaque in the photo reads:

This pic only raises more questions.... What is that HDVD/HD 800 gold-edition ?!

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #2,795 of 3,016
The gold version was specially painted for the "view" only section of the Reshaping Excellence event. To the right of it you can see an all black production version which was available in the "experience" area for attendees to actually listen to. More info here: en-us.sennheiser.com/news-reshaping-excellence-sennheiser-teases-the-next-milestone-in-high-end-audio-at-exclusive-london-event

The HDVD 800 previously used the PCM 1792 chip but the new version is reported to use PCM 1794. I hope Sennheiser keeps the HDVD 800 pricing the same. There are not enough changes to justify a higher price.

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #2,796 of 3,016
Hello All,

New to Sennheiser headphones overall.  Last night had a 1hr listening session (HDVD800>CH800>HD800S).

With the balanced connection, volume knob at 9 o'clock I have very minor ringing in my ears afterwards :frowning2:  (temporary tinnitus)

This volume (9) for me was engaging and did not find too loud (I was in silent bedroom at night).  I can't believe that is too much for my ears!  Now listening to volume at 8 o'clock and hoping this will be fine, but must say that the full musical experience seems to be slightly missing at that volume.  What is really strange is I can listen to my earbuds at much louder volume and not experience any of this. Again, I was listening to the HD800Ss in full silence, so apples to apples I think. Of course my $75 Sony earbuds are a more bassy/muddy sound.

Are the highs in the HD800Ss setting my ears off? Very disappointing in the least and if 8 o'clock keeps my ears irritated I'm afraid I'm going to have to unload all of these at a major loss.  No return policies with full refund on either device (20% restocking hit on the amp, Kijiji sale for the HD 800S)...

Has anyone else experienced this? I am particularly interested in people who use the CH800 balanced cable and what their volume levels are set at for extended listens (800 or 800S headphones).

Would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

I am using the same set as you
My volume is always set at 12-2 oclock. Headphone amplifier let you listen at extremely loud volume. It depends on your habit of listening to music.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #2,800 of 3,016
You might need to adjust the 'gain' on the back of HDVD800 .

Good that you mention the 'gain' setting option on the back. I have been driving my recently purchased HE-6 off of my HDVD800 and it is doing a fine job running them, although my understanding is that the HE-6 is not reaching anywhere near its potential. I have my laptop volume set at about 2-3 notches below maximum so that I could adjust the volume up and down without having to go to the HDVD800. Even with that setting, the volume knob on the HDVD800 is 'only' at the 12 o'clock (straight up).

I just checked the 'gain' setting on the back of my HDVD800 and it is only set at notch number 2 out of the 5 available. For clarity, it is on the negative/left side of the setting.

Is that where it should be set for the HD800? And since the HE-6 requires a LOT of power, should I be setting it to the far right/maximum gain?

Thanks.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #2,801 of 3,016
iLoveMusic0822, Do you have USB connection to your laptop? In my system volume level of amplifier is set to 9 hours (volume of laptop is maximum) and it is very very loud for my ears set the volume knob higher than 9 hours. Maybe I should set the volume of laptop to 50%?

May 2, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #2,803 of 3,016
  Hi! I have Sennheiser HD 598 and I listen to all types of music, mostly from the 70's and 80's, heavy metal, rock, disco, synth-pop, orchestral...
I want to buy head-amp/DAC, with different inputs (optical, coaxial, XLR, RCA) so that I can connect my PC, CD and Blu-ray players. Right now I'm thinking about SENNHEISER HDVD 800 and MARANTZ HD-DAC1. Which one would you recommend and why? THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

dont know much about the marantz but have owned a hdvd 800 for about 4 months now and my only speaker through them has been the 598 s and all i can say is f_____ phenominal and bordering on life changing .both items the hd 598 s iv had for about two years using it everyday either as a headphone or when i watch movies i up the volume and use it as a speaker ,and after two years there is not a hint of use on these things ,sure they a bit plasticly but iv spilt wine on them theyv been pulled tuged dropped gone on holiday and used solidly for two years and they exately the same as when i first bought them even the pads no were   .so you can say what you like about the germans .a lot of people say on sence of humour but iv always found them pretty funny and sure can build things ,they sent people to the moon and split the atom,anway going over board here but i f______ love these headphones lived with them for two  years ..bits of advice if listening to music take a small strip of toilet paper fold it into a small piece and push in between the hinges to angle the headphones too the ear ,i found the sound esyer more musical on the ear .when used with the hdvd 800 music sounds ... how can you explane bliss ,so when im in the mood to listen to music this amp always sounds great ,like the best sex you ve had but on demand when ever you plug it in it sounds great .got mine at a good price spend some time surch the net and if you find a hdvd 800  below 1000 buy it

May 3, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #2,804 of 3,016
The Marantz HD-DAC1 is not in the same class as the HDVD800/600.  It has a lot of power but is lacking in refinement compared to the amp section of the HDVD800 especially in balanced output.  I'm not sure which has a better DAC but the DAC on the Marantz is very good sounding actually. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back