Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Feb 29, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #2,761 of 3,016

Both burned in yes.  Also both warmed up for about 4 hour before comparison.  The HDVD 800 seems to improve measurably after 4 or 5 hours warm up, so should your 600.  I have no experience with DAC1.  I should be happy with what I have.  This is what I learned with buying the Benchmark.  It didn't do anything wrong or bad, just not an improvement over what I already had. At least now I have a remote  volume control for the Senn HDVD800; that is nice.  Basically I just bought the DAC2 looking for improvement, but didn't gain anything.  Live and learn.  Maybe a Chord Hugo or that $6000 PS Audio thing might do it, but I'm not ready to consider those price ranges.  At least I have another stand-alone DAC laying around now. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #2,762 of 3,016
@King of Pangaea

Thanks for doing that comparison. As I mentioned in my last post, I found the HDVA 600 really improved after the initial 20 hours of burn in. I did a similar comparison as you, and I can now hear how much thinner, harsher, and just smeared the Benchmark is compared to the Sennheiser.

It's funny how once you hear these differences, it's hard to go back. While I was looking to improve on the Benchmark, I was still happy to listen to it. Now, I have a hard time going back! 

For me, the big comparison that is looming is comparing the Auralic Aries Mini DAC + HDVA 600 with the Ayre Codex DAC/Amp. I have no doubt the Codex is a superior DAC, but I'm not sure about the headphone amp portion of the Codex.

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,763 of 3,016

Now that you have an amp you like, why look for a DAC with a built-in amp?  Perhaps for the same money you can get a better DAC.  I think the things are usually either one or the other.  Either its a DAC with an amp thrown in (better DAC than amp) or its am amp with a DAC thrown in (just a so so DAC).  Also bear in mind there are other components in the DAC output than just the chip, whatever,
Burr-Brown, Cirrus Logic, etc. Once you have satisfactory performance with one stage of the chain, don't try to buy the same thing again in a machine with a different emphasis.   The Benchmark was bought used, 1 to 2 years old, so I assume it was well burned in by the time I got it.

What cans are you using?  Bear in mind amps and cans have their own synergy;  What sounds great with one pairing will not necessarily hold true for other combinations.

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #2,764 of 3,016
It's complicated. 
biggrin.gif
 I have HD800's.

I bought the Aries Mini primarily for its streamer functionality. It turned out to have a very nice DAC, especially when using an LPS. However, I really doubt it is the equal of the Codex DAC, which many - even within Ayre - are saying bests their QB-09 DSD DAC.

I am still within the evaluation window for the HDVA 600 where it can be returned. The decision for me becomes whether to buy the HDVA 600 or the Ayre Codex.

With the former, I get a combination of a decent DAC (Aries Mini) + excellent amp (HDVA 600). And, I could buy a better DAC further down the road.

With the latter (Codex), I get an outstanding DAC + unknown amp stage, although Jude gave the Codex a positive review in his recent Head-fi video, and Ayre is a well-respected maker of high-end amps.

I wasn't really asking for advice, just laying out my choices. The only way to know is to audition both head to head. I am working to make that happen.

The biggest stumbling block will be getting balanced cables for the HD800 as the two units use different connectors - 4-pin XLR for the 600, vs dual 3.5mm for the Codex. This may mean the comparison will have to be SE for both.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,765 of 3,016

Do your comparisons SE.  After you decide, if what you wind up with has XLR cabling option go further by adding that.  I made my comparisons using SE only with HD600, so I didn't have to recable my HD800/HDVD connection.  The SE HD600 connection, after volume matching, was satisfactory for the job, allowing me to hear the difference in the amps.  I am not sure the XLR4 cabling from the cans to the amp really helps, some people think it does, some don't, but it can't hurt.  The XLR4 cabling out to 20 feet only cost another $200.

Good luck.

KOP

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #2,766 of 3,016
I used several amp combos over the years and still can't find an amp that makes my HD800 have the synergy they have with the HDVD800 none. I'll add that the balanced is sublime and makes a huge difference vs single ended.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #2,767 of 3,016
Does anyone have details on the HDVD800 (Black) release? 

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #2,768 of 3,016

Now that you have an amp you like, why look for a DAC with a built-in amp?  Perhaps for the same money you can get a better DAC.  I think the things are usually either one or the other.  Either its a DAC with an amp thrown in (better DAC than amp) or its am amp with a DAC thrown in (just a so so DAC).  Also bear in mind there are other components in the DAC output than just the chip, whatever,
Burr-Brown, Cirrus Logic, etc. Once you have satisfactory performance with one stage of the chain, don't try to buy the same thing again in a machine with a different emphasis.   The Benchmark was bought used, 1 to 2 years old, so I assume it was well burned in by the time I got it.

What cans are you using?  Bear in mind amps and cans have their own synergy;  What sounds great with one pairing will not necessarily hold true for other combinations.

Just IMO, you can't go wrong with the Gumby.  I had it paired with my HDVA600, and now the Bryston BHA-1, and the Gumby really opens up your music with both amps.  I originally had the D/S Gungnir, then upgraded it to the MB technology, and what a world of difference.  The cost is $1,250 direct from Schiit.  It also supports a fully-balanced rig, as does your Senn amp.  Hope this helps -

Cheers,
RCB

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #2,769 of 3,016
Has anybody tried HDVD800 with HD800 S-verison? Preferably in balanced mode. 

Really curious does the HDVD800 pair just as good with S-version, than the original does? Does it open up the "airness" or "sharpness" of the instruments when paired up with HDVD 800?

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #2,770 of 3,016
  Has anybody tried HDVD800 with HD800 S-verison? Preferably in balanced mode. 

Really curious does the HDVD800 pair just as good with S-version, than the original does? Does it open up the "airness" or "sharpness" of the instruments when paired up with HDVD 800?

Fair point - as the HDVA 600 / HDVD 800 'tames' the original HD800 treble, would it make the HD800 S sound too dark or veiled?

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #2,771 of 3,016

Fair point - as the HDVA 600 / HDVD 800 'tames' the original HD800 treble, would it make the HD800 S sound too dark or veiled?

That's what i thought. The HDVD 800 was specifically tuned for HD800 in mind, with that they did take consider the treble spike. 

That's my concern that the HDVD 800 would tune the treble bit too much in the S-version..... 

Lets see what the HDVD 820(?) can bring to the table :wink: At least Axel showed us the HD800S with the prototype, so hopefully some changes has been made from the HDVD800 regarding the treble spike problem.

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #2,772 of 3,016
I haven't had the opportunity to try the HD 800S with the HDVD 800, but I'm guessing there's a chance that they'd work just as well together as the HD 800 does. The HDVD 800 does not use EQ to tame the 6khz peak, it instead adds a general sense of warmth to the sound. The HD 800S is still an analytical sounding headphone, even with the peak tamed, so the HDVD 800 should still be a great companion for producing a more natural sound. But I haven't heard it myself, so I'm just speculating. It'll only be a matter of time before someone has the chance to try the pairing and reports back.

It's a bit curious how they didn't launch the black amp at the same time as the headphones. It implies they're doing more than just painting it. It'd be great if they for example put a new dac in there which could match the quality of the amp. Then it'd start making sense as an all-in-one solution. As it is now I just occasionally use the dac to remind myself that I was correct in writing it off as mediocre.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #2,773 of 3,016
The HDVD820 or whatever there calling iit will also have the ability to play DSD files. Not sure if this will be a firmware upgrade for current users or a brand new Dac chip.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #2,774 of 3,016
The HDVD820 or whatever there calling iit will also have the ability to play DSD files. Not sure if this will be a firmware upgrade for current users or a brand new Dac chip.

If it would only be an fw upgrade and for that they would release an "brand new HDVD", i'm pretty sure current users would feel like Senn raped their butt prettty hard.... 

So yes, the new HDVD would support DSD files playback, but i'm strongly guessing that it's not fw upgrade. If it is, then there should be more features in the 820 than only that. (in top of the black paint ofc)

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #2,775 of 3,016
  If it would only be an fw upgrade and for that they would release an "brand new HDVD", i'm pretty sure current users would feel like Senn raped their butt prettty hard.... 

So yes, the new HDVD would support DSD files playback, but i'm strongly guessing that it's not fw upgrade. If it is, then there should be more features in the 820 than only that. (in top of the black paint ofc)

huh? ill pass here........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back