Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Mar 10, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #2,776 of 3,016

Fair point - as the HDVA 600 / HDVD 800 'tames' the original HD800 treble, would it make the HD800 S sound too dark or veiled?

That's a good thought. I am listening to the HDVD800 balanced with the HD800 S. It's a really nice pairing and the new cans don't sound too dark or veiled IMO. I like how my HD800 S sounds with my Chord Hugo a lot too.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2,777 of 3,016
I just got my HDVD800 last night and was able to spend an hour listening with my HD800S (balanced of course).  Just fantastic!  I cannot compare to the HD800 (since I never owned), but can definitely say that accuracy and power is quite amazing.  I notice that for sure these cans and the amp are very sensitive to the recordings and find that refreshing.  Nothing bumping or colouring it up.  Just truth!

The biggest revelation I had was when listening to my Bob Dylan Bootleg Series Vol. 12, The Cutting Edge is 24-96 (which I received download link direct from Sony with the purchase of the Collectors Edition).  It was the first time I had ACTUALLY heard HD in music! I listened to these tracks before on my LCD2s and never heard what I did last night (FLAC vs HD).  I always thought the HD files were not a benefit and more smoke overall, but I heard that difference last night!  Immediate thought was that it was like going from watching a 30Hz video to a 60Hz video.  You watch it and it just comes more alive and real at 60Hz.  Well, I guess this amp and headphone could actually transmit the difference at the high resolution for my ears to hear it.  What a treat and can say that the $4,500 CAD I spent right there was worth it to know that I got what I paid for!

I'm really going to enjoy these for the long haul.

Peace out!

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #2,778 of 3,016
I have been enjoying an HDVA 600 for several weeks, but last weekend I got a chance to do an extensive audition in my setup of the Ayre Codex.

If you have any interest in reading my impressions of the HDVA 600 vis a vis the Codex, here's the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ayre-acoustics-codex-headphone-amplifier-dac-preamp/reviews/15502

I should point out - I do not have the HDVD 800, so my impressions of the Sennheiser HDVA 600 were as an amp alone.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #2,779 of 3,016
Hello All,

New to Sennheiser headphones overall.  Last night had a 1hr listening session (HDVD800>CH800>HD800S).

With the balanced connection, volume knob at 9 o'clock I have very minor ringing in my ears afterwards
frown.gif
 (temporary tinnitus)

This volume (9) for me was engaging and did not find too loud (I was in silent bedroom at night).  I can't believe that is too much for my ears!  Now listening to volume at 8 o'clock and hoping this will be fine, but must say that the full musical experience seems to be slightly missing at that volume.  What is really strange is I can listen to my earbuds at much louder volume and not experience any of this. Again, I was listening to the HD800Ss in full silence, so apples to apples I think. Of course my $75 Sony earbuds are a more bassy/muddy sound.

Are the highs in the HD800Ss setting my ears off? Very disappointing in the least and if 8 o'clock keeps my ears irritated I'm afraid I'm going to have to unload all of these at a major loss.  No return policies with full refund on either device (20% restocking hit on the amp, Kijiji sale for the HD 800S)...

Has anyone else experienced this? I am particularly interested in people who use the CH800 balanced cable and what their volume levels are set at for extended listens (800 or 800S headphones).

Would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #2,780 of 3,016
I have this combo and I'm an older cat :) but I listen to this combo which I do own at 12:00 oclock.

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #2,781 of 3,016
Hello All,

New to Sennheiser headphones overall.  Last night had a 1hr listening session (HDVD800>CH800>HD800S).

With the balanced connection, volume knob at 9 o'clock I have very minor ringing in my ears afterwards :frowning2:  (temporary tinnitus)

This volume (9) for me was engaging and did not find too loud (I was in silent bedroom at night).  I can't believe that is too much for my ears!  Now listening to volume at 8 o'clock and hoping this will be fine, but must say that the full musical experience seems to be slightly missing at that volume.  What is really strange is I can listen to my earbuds at much louder volume and not experience any of this. Again, I was listening to the HD800Ss in full silence, so apples to apples I think. Of course my $75 Sony earbuds are a more bassy/muddy sound.

Are the highs in the HD800Ss setting my ears off? Very disappointing in the least and if 8 o'clock keeps my ears irritated I'm afraid I'm going to have to unload all of these at a major loss.  No return policies with full refund on either device (20% restocking hit on the amp, Kijiji sale for the HD 800S)...

Has anyone else experienced this? I am particularly interested in people who use the CH800 balanced cable and what their volume levels are set at for extended listens (800 or 800S headphones).

Would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

HD800, CH800, I have no problems at all, what setting did you have the gain on? Mine is on 2 and I don't have to even increase past a 1/4 turn on volume pot for a comfertable level.

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #2,782 of 3,016
HD800, CH800, I have no problems at all, what setting did you have the gain on? Mine is on 2 and I don't have to even increase past a 1/4 turn on volume pot for a comfertable level.

I'm using USB input (built in DAC), so no gain. I find for me 8 o'clock seems to be the ideal level. Just got to get the ears to adjust to the lower level it seems.

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #2,785 of 3,016
If anyone is looking for the HDVD800 right now I am selling one in very good condition.
Less than 100 hours use, non-smoker and original owner.

Still in warranty, original box, etc.

Would be willing to work with you on price, but hoping for $1,600-1,700.

Fantastic amp + dac, but I now have the Moon Neo 430HAD.

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #2,786 of 3,016
Just wondering if anyone has tried this amp with the HE6? My guess is that it does not have sufficient power to drive them well. And if not, what percent of the HE6's potential would it achieve?

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,789 of 3,016

I contacted Sennheiser GmbH and their response indicated it is still several months from production. 

Dang it. Have to wait then, maybe we will see it in summer(?).  
Hopefully cause the delay (first shown the prototype in october) they are going to make sure its good...  OR they are waiting for the HDVD 800 to run out of stock before releasing it (?)

Well gives me some time to save even more money for the upgrade :p

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #2,790 of 3,016
There was some talk/speculation earlier that it would just be a different color, but I guess we can safely assume there will be more extensive changes with the delay and all. My guess is they are taking the DAC part (based on ESS Sabre 9018) from the new electrostatic flagship and making some adjustments to the amplifier section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back