Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
May 8, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #2,596 of 3,016
Synergy stinks
I cannot say exactly why. But it's part in do to imp matching from output to Input. Also capasidence too.
This messes with the freq response making it off and far from linear.
I own a Hugo it does not do well with the Hdvd600 and niether did my ifi micro dsd it made it very warm.
This kind of thing happens but that amp is great but does have its issues or synergies. Now it does pair great woth my msb
My MyTek
My is asio ds
My lampi B 7
And a few others so it's just try some and listen. Sorry I wish I had a specification to look for but I do not.
Al

May 8, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #2,597 of 3,016
  Alright I've paired the Fostex TH900 with the HDVA600 set to low gain. The DAC used is Schiit Gungnir. I Immediately noticed that there was the same unnatural brightness on the treble in the TH900 that existed in the HD800. The fostex sound good, but I don't believe the AMP matches up well with it. It seems that whenever the "s" sound occurs in either headphone it is overdone and hurts my ears a little bit. In other words, high frequencies are very apparent in the TH900 when matched with the HDVA. It's too bright for my taste in either headphone. I wonder if maybe the HDVA600 and gungir don't match up or if it's just the Senn amp.

edit: had a couple friends of mine listen and each of them commented afterwards on how "bright" the sound was on certain frequencies.

interesting that the Gungnir sounds bad with the HDVA600.  I have the HDVD800 (same amp but includes a DAC), and folks say that while the Sennheiser amp is great (for HD 800s), the DAC is no great show.  I have no basis to say one or the other, but they say the DAC quality is consistent with the extra $400 between the HDVD800 and HDVA600. Apparently $400 is a rather modest DAC.

Do you get that same brightness if you send a line out signal from your source (if you have a good analog source!) into the HDVA600?

I'm mystified why a reasonable DAC would not sound good with a good amp, i.e.,Gungnir with HDVA600.

May 8, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,598 of 3,016
Hello - 
Just a few comments...
1. I have the Gungnir and don't disagree it's somewhat bright.  It's my only DAC since I sold the Uber Bifrost.
2. I feed my HDVA600 -> HD800 from the Gungnir.  It sound somewhat bright, in the mids and treble, but only at higher volume levels.  At normal listening levels, I find that rig acceptable.
3. I finally started my transition from lossy music to high-res.  I find that with the high-res, I can listen at lower volumes with better detail and less overall brightness.
4. I drive my low-impedance cans - LCD-X/XC with the Mjolnir amp.  The sound is fantastic.
5. At the Music City meet, I heard the Yggr - Ragnarok and Yggr - WA5 rigs driving the HD800.  No hint of brightness with either rig...the sound was fantastic.  

Net:  IMO the HD800 have super potential, but you have to get the DAC/amp right.  Also, low-impedance cans, including the TH900 and my LCD-X/XC, do not pair well with the HDVA600 amp.

Hope this helps,
RCB

May 10, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #2,599 of 3,016
Just an update...
Been listening more with the High-Res music.  The rig: Gungnir - HDVA600 - HD800 does not sound bright with most of the high-res music, except for music that was mixed for the pop culture.  The rest of the music - jazz / blues / rock - sounds really good with this rig. It's easy to tell the original tape mix, as soon as you start into the music. 

Best -
RCB

May 14, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #2,601 of 3,016
Connect iPod to HDVD 800 USB?

Is there a way to grab the digital output from an iDevice (iPod, iPod classic, iPhone, etc, either 30 pin older version or 8 pin Lightening version now current) and send it into the USB port of the HDVD 800?

Possibilities include 1) getting a USB connector that converts from the flat type of plug to the squarish trapezoidal one on the HDVD 800; 2) getting the Apple Camera Converter cable.

Any experience with making this connection?

Thanks!

May 14, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #2,603 of 3,016
Connect iPod to HDVD 800 USB?

Is there a way to grab the digital output from an iDevice (iPod, iPod classic, iPhone, etc, either 30 pin older version or 8 pin Lightening version now current) and send it into the USB port of the HDVD 800?

Possibilities include 1) getting a USB connector that converts from the flat type of plug to the squarish trapezoidal one on the HDVD 800; 2) getting the Apple Camera Converter cable.

Any experience with making this connection?

Thanks!

Yes. Apple camera connection kit. Check the Apple website.

May 16, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #2,604 of 3,016
Beeing interested in the Hd 800, i am a bit concerned, cause you often read that some find it a bit harsh/bright compared to other Phones, due to emphasizing 6-10khz. As i read the hdva600/hdvd 800 is a good Match for hd800, Do you think it tames this possibly bright Sound compared to other amps? Do not want to get it too bright.what Do u think?

May 16, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #2,605 of 3,016
Beeing interested in the Hd 800, i am a bit concerned, cause you often read that some find it a bit harsh/bright compared to other Phones, due to emphasizing 6-10khz. As i read the hdva600/hdvd 800 is a good Match for hd800, Do you think it tames this possibly bright Sound compared to other amps? Do not want to get it too bright.what Do u think?

Yes, hdva600/hdvd 800 is good match for HD800 exactly because it tames 6-10khz pretty well. The headphones become really smooth through this amp IMO.

May 16, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #2,606 of 3,016
It would be hard to read the whole thread,is there a consens of which DACs play well with the hd800/hdva600 combination? Looking for a Dac up to ~1000$. Read mixed opinions about to combine with gungnir for example. Opinions to it, or any other Suggestion?

May 16, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #2,607 of 3,016
  Yes, hdva600/hdvd 800 is good match for HD800 exactly because it tames 6-10khz pretty well. The headphones become really smooth through this amp IMO.

I agree.  One of my rigs is Gungnir - HDVA600 - HD800.  With decent cables in between and fed via optical from the source.  I have come to really enjoy this rig.  I think the sound is well balanced between the bass/mids/treble.  The only time I've experience "bright" treble is on pop recordings that were meant to sound that way.  On decently-mixed and recorded music, the rig sounds excellent.  And now - this is coming from a guy who started down the head-fi path with the Schiit uB/A2 and LCD-X.  I still enjoy the LCD-X (they're great) but have formed a real appreciation for my HD800 rig.  The SQ is highly resolving.

Hope this helps,
RCBinTN

May 16, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #2,608 of 3,016
Lol I've reading about happy endings. The pairing is exceptional. Thise headlines and that amp are a very good combo. And get me very close to stuff far more complex and expensive. It's funny how we evolve In a upward spiral for more details and spatial ques getting us there in the studio when the recording is good enough. Anyone making claims of Briteness needs a better dac or source music. It's just extremely revieling and shows what things are. But if you want a relaxing long term session the lcd line is good for that. My fav is a lcd3. The only odd thing that does occur is bad synergy of an external dac and cables can be a cause or cure. And it's not the money spent on them it's the varying specs of the cables we buy.
Al

May 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #2,610 of 3,016
  My audio interface has a balanced XLR output which is +4dBu, is this ok to connect via XLR to HDVA600/HDVD800? (regarding the input level of the amp)

Should be just fine.  What is your source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back