Sennheiser HDV 820 Thoughts and Impressions
Sep 14, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #106 of 163
Atticus is a warm headphone that is not that bright?

So you would say HDV820 does well with warm headphones to? As HDV820 is considered a warm amp by itself.

I see you have HD650 like me, which is a warm HP. You havent tried HD650 yet with HDV820?
I dident listen my self to that pairing when i had HDV 820 for my short time.

I would say it does. When comparing to the brighter burson amp the HDV brings even more richness and power in the low end and the details don't seem compromised maybe because of the widened sound stage.

Tried the HD650 it was pretty decent but the ZMF and HD800S are what really shine.

I actually might sell the HDV because I might be upgrading again to much more pricey stuff. lol

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #107 of 163
I would say it does. When comparing to the brighter burson amp the HDV brings even more richness and power in the low end and the details don't seem compromised maybe because of the widened sound stage.

Tried the HD650 it was pretty decent but the ZMF and HD800S are what really shine.

I actually might sell the HDV because I might be upgrading again to much more pricey stuff. lol
Already selling hehe. Was not so good afterall?

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #108 of 163
Already selling hehe. Was not so good afterall?

Dude... the HDV is fantastic. If it was my end game amp/dac I would be more than happy. I might actually not upgrade. But I want to see if I can get even more sound quality. I heard the master 7+9 stack at my friends house and I think I mentioned in another thread that it probably brought another 10-15% in sound quality across my headphones (more for ZMF less for HD800S). The HDV is amazing though and I love that I don't have to warm it up forever.

But I wonder what true end game gear would sound like... Yggy level, HE9 amp level etc. I guess the HDV820 gave me a taste into truly amazing sound and I want to go all the way! :D

What I might do is add a dac, PS DS or Yggy or maybe terminator and use the HDV as the amp and see how it sounds.

Sep 15, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #109 of 163
Dude... the HDV is fantastic. If it was my end game amp/dac I would be more than happy. I might actually not upgrade. But I want to see if I can get even more sound quality. I heard the master 7+9 stack at my friends house and I think I mentioned in another thread that it probably brought another 10-15% in sound quality across my headphones (more for ZMF less for HD800S). The HDV is amazing though and I love that I don't have to warm it up forever.

But I wonder what true end game gear would sound like... Yggy level, HE9 amp level etc. I guess the HDV820 gave me a taste into truly amazing sound and I want to go all the way! :D

What I might do is add a dac, PS DS or Yggy or maybe terminator and use the HDV as the amp and see how it sounds.
Then you must invest in really good cables also as they really make a difference.

From my experience when i switched from audioquest diamondback to chord company chrimson cables. What a huge difference that made allthough the chrimson is the cheaper rca cable. The Audioquest cable made the sound veiled the chrimson made everything transparent. The cable switch made me like my current setup from not liking it so much. Theres most likely even better cables then i have out there. I do not know what is considered the best ones out there though, maybe a djungle.

And yes dac is as importent as amp also. Hugo 2 as dac has really uppgraded the sound from mojo. Last one should think of is maybe sorting the power cleaning.

Sep 15, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #110 of 163
Then you must invest in really good cables also as they really make a difference.

From my experience when i switched from audioquest diamondback to chord company chrimson cables. What a huge difference that made allthough the chrimson is the cheaper rca cable. The Audioquest cable made the sound veiled the chrimson made everything transparent. The cable switch made me like my current setup from not liking it so much. Theres most likely even better cables then i have out there. I do not know what is considered the best ones out there though, maybe a djungle.

And yes dac is as importent as amp also. Hugo 2 as dac has really uppgraded the sound from mojo. Last one should think of is maybe sorting the power cleaning.
Thanks for the advice I’ll definitely keep it in mind. It seems you go to is always praised must be truly an awesome dac.

Sep 22, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #112 of 163
I feel the exact same way as @Bansaku and its making me really worried the HE9 + Terminator won't bring much more sound quality. Love the HDV !

Nov 3, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #113 of 163
Has anyone tried zmf headphones on the hdv820?

The Auteur & Eikon are amazing on the HDV 820. Good control, power, dynamics, clarity, etc. With volume set at 7 o’clock, yes, that low, it’s so addictive, you can listen to the combos all day long. Using internal DAC, through AQ Carbon USB cable, fed from MacBook Pro.

Another amazing thing about the HDV 820 is that it can drive three 300 Ohm Headphones at the same time.

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #117 of 163
Tried this thing out in a Sennheiser store. Sony Z7M2, Focal Elear, Elegia, HD800S and HD820. Sounded good. Music had a sort of energetic punch. Question to anybody more experienced than me: What other DAC/amp combos should I check out that are in the same league as the HDV 820? Don't have to be $2K necessarily but the features I really like about this thing are the multiple headphone outputs. 1/4" and 4.4mm balanced. One thing I do wish it had was some sort of indicator showing file type (bit depth/sampling rate, etc.). Even something as simple as Dragonfly has this. Anyway... before I grab one of these I want to make sure there isn't anything else I should consider first. I'll probably grab a used one and save some coin. I think $2400 is a bit crazy for a DAC/amp in 2019 unless it comes with the band themselves to hang out with me while I listen to their music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back