Sennheiser HDV 820 Thoughts and Impressions
Feb 18, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #137 of 163
Just got my HDV820 yesterday. Listened for a couple hours with HD800S. It sounds very good. I must say I was surprised how well my A90/D90 stack kept up. The Senn is definitely better, but man the Topping is pretty impressive based on initial comparison.

A couple of notes: The Senn provides an overall improvement in sound that is hard to describe. It is more three dimensional, Topping stack is wide also but tends to push things in a straight line left to right. The Senn is more 3D, including bringing more height. The Senn is also cleaner, not by much, but it is more articulate - this did surprise me a little since the Topping stack is quite articulate. Senn seems to have tighter bass, and a little more of it then the Topping. Senn also has an overall sound that seems just a touch more unified. Sound stage is still wide but it somehow feels more cohesive. Treble, as with the rest of the sound, is more articulate an seems to permeate across the whole sound signature, which provides that additional clarity.

Will continue to listen this weekend and try different headphones. So far used the HD800S. I have Dan Clark Audio Ether Flow Open 1.1, AKG Q701, and Fostex Th610. Topping unit is the MQA version. Listening to Tidal and purchased an AQ Cinnamon cable for USB connection. I also have a Fostex HP-A4BL that I use DAC into a Bellari HA543 with Gold Lion 12AT7. That is a fuller/warmer sound than the Topping. Will be interesting to bring that into the comparison.

I like the amp, but question is, is it worth $2,400 for improvements to existing system.

Feb 24, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #138 of 163
Just got my HDV820 yesterday. Listened for a couple hours with HD800S. It sounds very good. I must say I was surprised how well my A90/D90 stack kept up. The Senn is definitely better, but man the Topping is pretty impressive based on initial comparison.

A couple of notes: The Senn provides an overall improvement in sound that is hard to describe. It is more three dimensional, Topping stack is wide also but tends to push things in a straight line left to right. The Senn is more 3D, including bringing more height. The Senn is also cleaner, not by much, but it is more articulate - this did surprise me a little since the Topping stack is quite articulate. Senn seems to have tighter bass, and a little more of it then the Topping. Senn also has an overall sound that seems just a touch more unified. Sound stage is still wide but it somehow feels more cohesive. Treble, as with the rest of the sound, is more articulate an seems to permeate across the whole sound signature, which provides that additional clarity.

Will continue to listen this weekend and try different headphones. So far used the HD800S. I have Dan Clark Audio Ether Flow Open 1.1, AKG Q701, and Fostex Th610. Topping unit is the MQA version. Listening to Tidal and purchased an AQ Cinnamon cable for USB connection. I also have a Fostex HP-A4BL that I use DAC into a Bellari HA543 with Gold Lion 12AT7. That is a fuller/warmer sound than the Topping. Will be interesting to bring that into the comparison.

I like the amp, but question is, is it worth $2,400 for improvements to existing system.
Ur using this with balanced cable ?

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #139 of 163
Ur using this with balanced cable ?
Yes, I am using balanced. Also, tried optical. It sounds very good, Topping just keeps up very well. Actually have a Qutest arriving today, I am interested to see what impact that has on the overall sound. I know some have questioned the quality of the DAC, so I will be interested to see how this Qutest impacts overall sound quality.

And don't get me wrong, the device is very good and the construction quality is superb. So we will se where we go from here.

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #140 of 163
Yes, I am using balanced. Also, tried optical. It sounds very good, Topping just keeps up very well. Actually have a Qutest arriving today, I am interested to see what impact that has on the overall sound. I know some have questioned the quality of the DAC, so I will be interested to see how this Qutest impacts overall sound quality.

And don't get me wrong, the device is very good and the construction quality is superb. So we will se where we go from here.
Yea I’ve heard the same stuff said about the DAC as well, please do let me know how it is with the Qutest. My dream is tho a high end AIO, hoping it’s not to different. HD800s and HDV820 would be my end game no doubt I think.

Feb 24, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #141 of 163
Qutest sounds just a touch more articulate and with a bit more depth in the sound. Also seems to bring vocals forward a bit. Overall the sound of the HDV820 is darker, but still very articulate. As with most things in this hobby, at this level, differences are subtle, but they are there. What's interesting is that using optical instead of USB with the HDV820 seems to impart a similar quality. In the end, I would say not much in it really but has me thinking about some possible ways of approaching my set up.

Just to add, I think you would be very happy with the HDV820/HD800S combo. I really thought I might send it back because the Topping was quite close. Having heard the Qutest DAC with the HDV820 it becomes even more apparent to me that the HDV820 is really outstanding and most differences at this level will be subtle. I also tried running the D90 DAC into the HDV820, the Sennheiser DAC was better. When you factor in the beautiful build quality of the Sennheiser and the number of inputs and the power of the amplifier, it really is a very compelling setup. Now I am thinking it may be here to stay.

Also, I have other headphones and it works well with them as well, so it isn't just good for the Sennheiser headphones. Hope this helps. I just got tired of comments all over the board and just decided to just buy the crap myself and make up my own mind. Bottom line, it is hard to go wrong at this level.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #142 of 163
Qutest sounds just a touch more articulate and with a bit more depth in the sound. Also seems to bring vocals forward a bit. Overall the sound of the HDV820 is darker, but still very articulate. As with most things in this hobby, at this level, differences are subtle, but they are there. What's interesting is that using optical instead of USB with the HDV820 seems to impart a similar quality. In the end, I would say not much in it really but has me thinking about some possible ways of approaching my set up.

Just to add, I think you would be very happy with the HDV820/HD800S combo. I really thought I might send it back because the Topping was quite close. Having heard the Qutest DAC with the HDV820 it becomes even more apparent to me that the HDV820 is really outstanding and most differences at this level will be subtle. I also tried running the D90 DAC into the HDV820, the Sennheiser DAC was better. When you factor in the beautiful build quality of the Sennheiser and the number of inputs and the power of the amplifier, it really is a very compelling setup. Now I am thinking it may be here to stay.

Also, I have other headphones and it works well with them as well, so it isn't just good for the Sennheiser headphones. Hope this helps. I just got tired of comments all over the board and just decided to just buy the crap myself and make up my own mind. Bottom line, it is hard to go wrong at this level.
Appreciate the write up a lot, very detailed, thank you. Just to be clear, ur using the AQ Cinnamon cable with HDV820 to ur PC? And I’ve never had a balanced AIO, since I’d be using onboard DAC I just plug my balanced HD800s straight in, I don’t need to buy anything else to make it balanced? We have read legit the same stuff on the amp, that the dac wasn’t very good in it even tho it cost quite a bit, and that it didn’t do very good with any other headphones besides the HD800s and HD820. Glad u took the plunge and enjoy it. Did u consider the HD800s and HDV820 pairing as an all-rounder?

btw, do you already enjoy darker sound? If not, what did u think of it? I really liked the warmness of my Valhalla 2 + t.1 2nd Gen pairing

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #143 of 163
Appreciate the write up a lot, very detailed, thank you. Just to be clear, ur using the AQ Cinnamon cable with HDV820 to ur PC? And I’ve never had a balanced AIO, since I’d be using onboard DAC I just plug my balanced HD800s straight in, I don’t need to buy anything else to make it balanced? We have read legit the same stuff on the amp, that the dac wasn’t very good in it even tho it cost quite a bit, and that it didn’t do very good with any other headphones besides the HD800s and HD820. Glad u took the plunge and enjoy it. Did u consider the HD800s and HDV820 pairing as an all-rounder?

btw, do you already enjoy darker sound? If not, what did u think of it? I really liked the warmness of my Valhalla 2 + t.1 2nd Gen pairing
Yes, I use the AQ Cinnamon between my Senn and PC. Balanced is internal to the amp/dac - connections then are made to the amp directly. If you have an external DAC, you would probably want balanced connection to amp, if amp is balanced.

To my ears quality of the DAC, or lack thereof, are overstated. I compared the HDV820 to the Qutest last night. Qutest was ever so slightly clearer using USB as the comparison. Using optical with the HDV820 the difference was eliminated. And I had some RF problems with the Qutest using RCA connection to the HDV820 - when I use my mouse when nothing was playing I had interference. For me single ended on a PC creates noise issues, if you run a streamer perhaps it's not. Again, the constant poo pooing of balanced just doesn't match my real world experience using my equipment. And yes, PC's are going to create some noise, that is simply the way it is, so if you don't use a PC might not be an issue - it certainly is for me.

As to the darkness, again this gets overstated. The HDV820 does tend toward the warmer side, but we are talking subtle differences here. And given my experience, some of the warnth I was getting was from the USB connection, using optical it becomes less warm - which may be good or bad depending on your preference, or, and this is an important or, the track being played.

I had actually decided to send the HDV820 back. Having listened further and compared it to something the Qutest, which everyone raves about, I am rethinking that proposition. Reading these threads can be helpful, it can also cause you to overestimate differences that are being discussed. It can also cause you to focus obsessively on a point that in real world application is far more subtle and inconsequential than the discussion would lead you to believe. That is why I have decided to just start buying items and trying them. What I am finding is that in most cases differences between high end gear are small and require you to agonizingly study those differences. At some point you will just be listening to the music and those differences will be all but completely inconsequential.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #144 of 163
When does the DAC kick in on this unit? I would hook this up to my 2 channel main set up and I really don’t need it’s internal DAC.

Maybe a dumb question, but can I bypass the DAC by hooking it up a certain way?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #145 of 163
When does the DAC kick in on this unit? I would hook this up to my 2 channel main set up and I really don’t need it’s internal DAC.

Maybe a dumb question, but can I bypass the DAC by hooking it up a certain way?
The HDV820 has both analog and digital inputs, so you can use the analog output of another DAC with the Sennheiser's analog input.

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #150 of 163
Hi all,

I have recently acquired the HDV820 (2nd hand) and have it paired with my HD660S. Source is Macbook Pro / Apple Music, USB C to B.

I'm still getting used to this setup....rediscovering old music is a lot of fun.
For a long time I've been portable with IEM's.

A couple of questions or discussion points for those of you more qualified and experienced than myself.

My USB cable C to B is a cheapie one bought online in haste to get this system happening. Thinking of an upgrade to an Audioquest Cinnamon. I know cables are a very contentious issue, but what are the general thoughts from those in this thread about a better USB cable from Source to AMP?

Upthread some folks spoke of trying a stand alone DAC with the HDV820 - can anyone comment on trying this out and whether or not is was an improvement or not?
I may be able to get my hands on a Denafrips Ares II at a good / great price and I'm curious to know if I should just leave the HDV820 alone, or try a stand alone DAC in my chain and see if they compliment each other well and improve the SQ?

I live in rural New Zealand. I cannot demo any gear....I have to read as many reviews as possible or watch hours of YT Vids and make a calculated decision! Most of the time this works out well.
I'm not looking to be super analytical, crunch numbers and fine tooth comb everything - I just like listening to great music :)

PS - thinking of ditching the MacBook as a source and moving to my Ipad with external DAC to get Bit Perfect files from Apple Music. The IOS software on the Mac currently restricts this......Thoughts??

Thanks in advance if you're able to help me out.

Cheers,
Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back