Sennheiser HDV 820 Thoughts and Impressions
Aug 3, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #76 of 163
No but
Has anyone tried zmf headphones on the hdv820?

No i havent but it should work fine.
I contacted zmf before on that regard and they recomend atticus and eikon also auteur. Because they are 300ohm

Ori is 50ohm less recommend

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #77 of 163
I found my troublemaker.
The ifi purifier 2.0 is actualy amplifying the treble some how. I took it out and trenle peakeness seems to have eased to a resonable and tolerable lvl.
I had my ifi for 3 months now maybe its the effect of a burn in process.

Now simply using ifi usb cable without any modules attached and sounds more natural hmm.

Also i am back to balanced connection without ifi module it seemes to work well here to.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #78 of 163
No but

No i havent but it should work fine.
I contacted zmf before on that regard and they recomend atticus and eikon also auteur. Because they are 300ohm

Ori is 50ohm less recommend

I wonder if it will be a good pairing. Just got the auteur and atticus which sound brilliant out of my burson. But I am considering an upgrade to squeeze more out of them and I have an HD 800S which everyone says works so good with the HDV.

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #79 of 163
Y
I wonder if it will be a good pairing. Just got the auteur and atticus which sound brilliant out of my burson. But I am considering an upgrade to squeeze more out of them and I have an HD 800S which everyone says works so good with the HDV.

Yes it is true that hdv is best pairing with hd800s nothing else on the market beats that pairing.

Few things to be concidered:

1 hdv has slight emphasis on bass
2 slight reduction in treble
3 it is on the warm side

I still believe hdv is a great dac amp and ir sounds fantastic it has a very pleasant signature to the ear. I actually like the hdv more than the hd800s lol

Also get a good power cable and usb it drasticaly improving sq!

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #80 of 163
Aug 23, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #81 of 163
How does everyone like the HDV820 (for HD800S and in general) against other top SS amps like Wells Milo, Vioelectric V281, AudioGD Master 9 or Schiit Ragnarok?

How come the HDV820 is not more popular... is it because people see it as simply a companion amp to the 800S and not a good general purpose amp?

Aug 23, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #82 of 163
How does everyone like the HDV820 (for HD800S and in general) against other top SS amps like Wells Milo, Vioelectric V281, AudioGD Master 9 or Schiit Ragnarok?

How come the HDV820 is not more popular... is it because people see it as simply a companion amp to the 800S and not a good general purpose amp?

Trust me if you call your sennheiser dealer he will tell you 1month of waiting before it ships to you. Its very popular its just it dont have the hype like other products like chord stuff.
In my opinion hdv820 is the best possible dac amp combo for hd800 or hd800s.

What hdv820 does is bring in everything that the hd800 need to do to become perfect. More bass less treble peackness. Very smoothe and musical. It shines so beautifully that it can make you cry of joy.

Aug 23, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #83 of 163

Maybe because its a dac/amp combo. Most people here in to high end audio probebly already have a better dac then the built in one. And maybe just want to spend the money on a dedicated HP amp instead. 400-500$ less would be nice for that amp.

So if senheiser just released a priced down HDV 820 without dac it would be a better option for some people.

Other amps that seem intresting for me is V281, niimbus US4, benchmark HPA 4. Only want end game if i uppgrade.

Aug 23, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #84 of 163
Maybe because its a dac/amp combo. Most people here in to high end audio probebly already have a better dac then the built in one. And maybe just want to spend the money on a dedicated HP amp instead. 400-500$ less would be nice for that amp.

So if senheiser just released a priced down HDV 820 without dac it would be a better option for some people.

Other amps that seem intresting for me is V281, niimbus US4, benchmark HPA 4. Only want end game if i uppgrade.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

What about the Milo, Enigma or Headtrip! :D

Aug 23, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #85 of 163
Trust me if you call your sennheiser dealer he will tell you 1month of waiting before it ships to you. Its very popular its just it dont have the hype like other products like chord stuff.
In my opinion hdv820 is the best possible dac amp combo for hd800 or hd800s.

What hdv820 does is bring in everything that the hd800 need to do to become perfect. More bass less treble peackness. Very smoothe and musical. It shines so beautifully that it can make you cry of joy.

I think your totally right, but I do wonder how it would pair with the Auteur and especially Atticus since the latter is already quite chocolatey and dark.

Aug 23, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #86 of 163
I think your totally right, but I do wonder how it would pair with the Auteur and especially Atticus since the latter is already quite chocolatey and dark.

These hp you mentioned are all 300 ohm the hdv820 is a good pair for it. Even Zhack him self recommended those hp for me to pair with hdv820. Atticus eikon and auteur.
Of course each hp has its signature.
Seriously eikon specialy auteur would pair superblt with hdv...

Hdv is natural and harmonicaly tuned. Its warm but not to the point of being over to much. Its still on normal side of things.
Yes also slightly more bass.
Its not super transparrant or flar sounding dac amp as vs hugo2.
I like hdv more than hugo2 sq they are on same lvl. Just hdv way more fun and pleasant to the ear.

Aug 23, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #87 of 163

Yes it is true many folks seems to like a lot the setup of hugo2 + hdv820 like you tried it and found it pretty good.
In my opinion hdv820 has one hell of an amp and hugo2 one super good dac.
These 2 together is probably your end game I believe it will be hard to beat in neer future as well.

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #88 of 163
Yes it is true many folks seems to like a lot the setup of hugo2 + hdv820 like you tried it and found it pretty good.
In my opinion hdv820 has one hell of an amp and hugo2 one super good dac.
These 2 together is probably your end game I believe it will be hard to beat in neer future as well.

I was thinking HDV820 + yggy would be awesome. Someone said they like HDV820 built in dac more than hdv820 + yggy though.

But my true end game would be probably used headtrip + Yggy2 (headtrip reference just too pricey)

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #89 of 163
I was thinking HDV820 + yggy would be awesome. Someone said they like HDV820 built in dac more than hdv820 + yggy though.

But my true end game would be probably used headtrip + Yggy2 (headtrip reference just too pricey)

Dont get it wrong hdv820 dac is not a trash 500$ worth dac lol. People say they prefer hugo2 k your preference fine.
But for me hdv dac is very good. Its chrystal clear and detailed seriously there is nothing wrong with it thinking its not on par with the amp is untrue.
I can even use it with iems and there is no hiss or floor noise.
If you think paring hdv + another dac you can its your choise to try like we all do :)

You can also get hdv first and then add later a dac if you find its not good lool. Which I doubt then add hugo2 or yggys or a 50 000$ dac it alll gona work well because hdv got dual 3 pin xlr inputs and outputs for your convenience :) and its all balanced to!

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #90 of 163
Dont get it wrong hdv820 dac is not a trash 500$ worth dac lol. People say they prefer hugo2 k your preference fine.
But for me hdv dac is very good. Its chrystal clear and detailed seriously there is nothing wrong with it thinking its not on par with the amp is untrue.
I can even use it with iems and there is no hiss or floor noise.
If you think paring hdv + another dac you can its your choise to try like we all do :)

You can also get hdv first and then add later a dac if you find its not good lool. Which I doubt then add hugo2 or yggys or a 50 000$ dac it alll gona work well because hdv got dual 3 pin xlr inputs and outputs for your convenience :) and its all balanced to!
Why are you selling it if you like it so much?
What portable stuff are you geting?

Its a good sign theres no noise with iems.
How well does this work with other HP then HD800S you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back