Sennheiser HDV 820 Thoughts and Impressions
Jun 12, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #61 of 163
There is a gain knob on the back, that apparently controls the input gain. It is likely set too high, which you need for insensitive sources. Turn it down and you should be fine.
Now turned down to lowest. Yeah distortion gone and i think it sound less grainy and cleaner. And more solid bass, with chord mojo set to fixed output mode.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #62 of 163
Now turned down to lowest. Yeah distortion gone and i think it sound less grainy and cleaner. And more solid bass, with chord mojo set to fixed output mode.

By default that knob should be at 9 o'clock.
Me i am continuing to enjoy my setup.
My next purchase is a dap, thinking about ibasso dx200 connected via coaxial and also the amp4 to use the pentacon as portable setup.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #63 of 163
Can some one can confirm. If i connect a dap with a balanced pentaccon conector to hdv 820 via the rear 2x xlr 3 pins balanced, will the sound go threw dac and amp and be balanced or it only goes threw the amp and bypasses the dac?

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #64 of 163
Can some one can confirm. If i connect a dap with a balanced pentaccon conector to hdv 820 via the rear 2x xlr 3 pins balanced, will the sound go threw dac and amp and be balanced or it only goes threw the amp and bypasses the dac?

The latter. There is no "digital" signal to decode to "analogue" as the signal is, well, analogue.

:metal::sunglasses:

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #65 of 163
The latter. There is no "digital" signal to decode to "analogue" as the signal is, well, analogue.

:metal::sunglasses:

Hehe yea that what I was thinking to ... Thanks

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #66 of 163
Now sent demo unit back to store.
I did listen to it a bit with hugo 2 also and i think that combo was the best, more smoth and less digital grain then built in dac imo. But more pricey of course. Buy a qutest if you intrested in this combo to save price.

The built in dac is also great on its own i think, shortest signal path does things to clarity and details.

Least i liked it paired with mojo. Less details and less bass i think.

Hdv 820 has no doubt great synergy with hd 800s its warm and gooey, like Dave Hanson said in enjoy the music review where did they hide the tubes. No fatuging listen on this amp due to much brightness then.

Really like the midrange voices on this amp its smooth and clear. Like the come from both sides, maybe this is an affrect of balanced?

All in all hdv 820 is great. As i wouldent use the internal dac due to sound drops with my tv which is my main use, its a minus for me.

I liked the hugo 2 alone also maybe it was a bit to bright at times for hd 800s but they have great filters with hf roll of. What it did better though i think i got more engaged in the music due to more attack and dynamics. Although hdv 820 with hugo 2 as a dac sounded more beautiful and more smooth and with more bass impact and wider sound.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #67 of 163
Thanks
I did listen to it a bit with hugo 2 also and i think that combo was the best, more smoth and less digital grain then built in dac imo. But more pricey of course. Buy a qutest if you intrested in this combo to save price.

The built in dac is also great on its own i think, shortest signal path does things to clarity and details.

Hdv 820 has no doubt great synergy with hd 800s its warm and gooey, like Dave Hanson said in enjoy the music review where did they hide the tubes. No fatuging listen on this amp due to much brightness then.

Really like the midrange voices on this amp its smooth and clear. Like the come from both sides, maybe this is an affrect of balanced?

All in all hdv 820 is great. As i wouldent use the internal dac due to sound drops with my tv which is my main use, its a minus for me.

I liked the hugo 2 alone also maybe it was a bit to bright at times for hd 800s but they have great filters with hf roll of. What it did better though i think i got more engaged in the music due to more attack and dynamics. Although hdv 820 with hugo 2 as a dac sounded more beautiful and more smooth and with more bass impact and wider sound.

Thanks for the quick review it is true that some other review stated the same when paired with hugo 2. I never tried hugo dacs, just heard mojo once. Owning a hdv820 and hd800s I tod it was a pretty solid setup and probably wont spent another 3k canadian for hugo2 lol. I though still find that hd800s can get peaky even with hdv820 I think its due to the recordings most of it is all high treble oriented and its quiet anoying. When a true well recorded song is played, it is awsume and no issues.
What I understood is hdv820 has the best amp and chord hugo 2 is the best dac hehe.

I also like hdv820 cause of the balanced output and thats missing on hugo.

My next purchase now will be a dap. Right investigating between ibasso dx200 and fiio x7 mark 2. Both with pentaccon outputs so I can hook it up to the split xlr3 pins. That should make the sound at its best in my opinion.

Though I also listen spotify alone no tidal and no saved albums. I know it might seem to be audiophile grade but I love spotify and it still sound better going that root.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #68 of 163
Is it me or I just whant to feel the sound differently. I kinda lately started to like the single end connection rather my balanced???
My hd800s seemes to be less intense in the highs and bass sounds more like a tube like.
Kinda like it that way more atm lol

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #69 of 163

Hey sorry I havent replied you. Yea my experience with hdv 820 was actually better then with the hd800s. The hdv820 is very neet dac amp combo and the way it sounds and paires with other hp and iems is quiet very good. The warmth and little extra bass it adds always good no need for bass boost. And it taimea the highs slightly so the hd800s would be less peaky.

Though after 600hours on my hd800s and with a wireworld nano eclipse all copper even the 4.4mm connector is copper!!d!
It is still tp treble elevated for my taste its just to much over time it gets accumulated and tiring. Though its still an amazing hp I believe its more oriented for treble lovers.

On my other options I decided to go and try the empire ears Phantom. It should arrive this week and I think to pair it with my hdv820. It should be way more natural and harmonically balanced as sound its some what natural thicker and warmer then hd800s. It is an iem so quiet a different experience but believe or not its more expensive than the hd800s lol. 1800 USD
Will see what happends :)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #70 of 163
Hey sorry I havent replied you. Yea my experience with hdv 820 was actually better then with the hd800s. The hdv820 is very neet dac amp combo and the way it sounds and paires with other hp and iems is quiet very good. The warmth and little extra bass it adds always good no need for bass boost. And it taimea the highs slightly so the hd800s would be less peaky.

Though after 600hours on my hd800s and with a wireworld nano eclipse all copper even the 4.4mm connector is copper!!d!
It is still tp treble elevated for my taste its just to much over time it gets accumulated and tiring. Though its still an amazing hp I believe its more oriented for treble lovers.

On my other options I decided to go and try the empire ears Phantom. It should arrive this week and I think to pair it with my hdv820. It should be way more natural and harmonically balanced as sound its some what natural thicker and warmer then hd800s. It is an iem so quiet a different experience but believe or not its more expensive than the hd800s lol. 1800 USD

Have you tried the ZMF Auteur?

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #71 of 163
Have you tried the ZMF Auteur?

Mmm no but I was about to purchase a zmf ori and decided to go phantom. I need closed hp due to noisy environment auteur is open.

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #72 of 163
Mmm no but I was about to purchase a zmf ori and decided to go phantom. I need closed hp due to noisy environment auteur is open.

Might want to consider ZMF Eikon if the phantom doesn't satisfy you.

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #73 of 163

Maybe the stock balanced HD800 S cable is less treble freindly? Maybe nano silver is to revealing.

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #74 of 163
Maybe the stock balanced HD800 S cable is less treble freindly? Maybe nano silver is to revealing.

Well yea but the cable I tried was all copper. No silver in it at all.

I am now listening on single ended lol it seems less trebly and sounds lush and reminds me tubes even more. Maybe I prefer the distortion of single end connection hehe

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #75 of 163
Has anyone tried zmf headphones on the hdv820?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back