Sennheiser HDV 820 Thoughts and Impressions
Jun 3, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #47 of 163
Btw have you listened with hugo 2 connected to hdv 820 ? And did it enchance detail retrivel from hugo 2 or lose detail retrival compared to listening direct from hugo 2?

I read a nice review from enjoy the music and he prefered hugo 2 connected to it over built in dac. He thoght the bulit in dac was comparible to a chord mojo. But the amp itself was 2k$ of worth.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #48 of 163
I have actually listened to that pairing and really enjoyed it. in the end I ended up selling it to buy a rogue rh 5

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #49 of 163
I have actually listened to that pairing and really enjoyed it. in the end I ended up selling it to buy a rogue rh 5
Did you enjoy it more then from hdv 820s internal dac?

Do you think rogue rh 5 is better then hdv 820 as an amp for hd800s?

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #50 of 163
I liked it more but I never really used the internal dac as I had a 2qute before.the rogue is a little more spacious than 820 at least to me. It's subjective and depends on the genre. Can't go wrong either way

Jun 6, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #51 of 163
Can you listen to it with a balanced headphone cable when you have a dac with a unbalanced rca cables conected to it?

Yes u just connect the rca then it output to balanced. I tried the micro that way and didnt like that setup. Found the hdv820 alone sounds way better.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #52 of 163
Im going to audition it soon, a demo ex is sent from a shop.

Anyway i also got some thoughts about having a chord hugo 2 instead driving hd800s alone. I know how a chord mojo sounds with hd 800s. A bit on the thin and dry side but i like the clarity.

Someone have compared hdv 820 vs hugo 2 driving hd 800s?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #53 of 163
Im going to audition it soon, a demo ex is sent from a shop.

Anyway i also got some thoughts about having a chord hugo 2 instead driving hd800s alone. I know how a chord mojo sounds with hd 800s. A bit on the thin and dry side but i like the clarity.

Someone have compared hdv 820 vs hugo 2 driving hd 800s?

I still think the hdv820 will do a better result with hd800s. though you also get a balanced connection.

Jun 10, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #54 of 163
Yes u just connect the rca then it output to balanced. I tried the micro that way and didnt like that setup. Found the hdv820 alone sounds way better.
There was distortion when i tried connecting a chord mojo to the unbalanced rca input. You had nothing like that right?

So no luck here as i would like to see how it responded to an external dac.

Maybe thats why its a demo ex at the store.

Also when connected with optical to my lg b6 oled tv(which is my main use, for convineience) there was sound drops now and then with the internal dac. I was expecting this because some previous dacs (with conventional dac chips) i have tried with my tv have also had the same problem. Only with external hdmi sources internal apps work flawless though.

I Have tried Ifi idsd bl (dual core burr brown), project pre box s2 digital (ess sabre pro es9038) and sennheiser hdv 820 (ess sabre32 reference es 9018)

Chord mojo and hugo have worked with out problems and also basic fiio d03k designed for tvs.

Probebly wont be buying it. It sounded good in many ways otherwise but i was not blown away.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #56 of 163
I had no issues using a 2qute or hugo2
Yeah must be a fulty unit. Did you find those both dacs an improvement over the built in dac?

If they could make the amp just without a dac with lower price it would be more intetesting for me. I am auditioning hugo 2 next week maybe i will be just happy with that.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #57 of 163
Yeah must be a fulty unit. Did you find those both dacs an improvement over the built in dac?

If they could make the amp just without a dac with lower price it would be more intetesting for me. I am auditioning hugo 2 next week maybe i will be just happy with that.
Without question

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #58 of 163
Lowering the volume on the mojo helped to get rid of the distortion. It was set to fixed output voltage when distorted. Weird it doesent distort when set that way on my lake people rs 02 amp.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #59 of 163
There was distortion when i tried connecting a chord mojo to the unbalanced rca input. You had nothing like that right?

So no luck here as i would like to see how it responded to an external dac.

Maybe thats why its a demo ex at the store.

Also when connected with optical to my lg b6 oled tv(which is my main use, for convineience) there was sound drops now and then with the internal dac. I was expecting this because some previous dacs (with conventional dac chips) i have tried with my tv have also had the same problem. Only with external hdmi sources internal apps work flawless though.

I Have tried Ifi idsd bl (dual core burr brown), project pre box s2 digital (ess sabre pro es9038) and sennheiser hdv 820 (ess sabre32 reference es 9018)

Chord mojo and hugo have worked with out problems and also basic fiio d03k designed for tvs.

Probebly wont be buying it. It sounded good in many ways otherwise but i was not blown away.

There is a gain knob on the back, that apparently controls the input gain. It is likely set too high, which you need for insensitive sources. Turn it down and you should be fine.

Jun 11, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #60 of 163
There is a gain knob on the back, that apparently controls the input gain. It is likely set too high, which you need for insensitive sources. Turn it down and you should be fine.
Alright i can try that. Its set in the middle.

Also as i said above lowering mojos volume got rid of the distortion.

With mojo the soundstage got a bit wider which is nice imo. But maybe it sounds less solid in bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back