Sennheiser HDV 820 Thoughts and Impressions
Aug 24, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #91 of 163
Why are you selling it if you like it so much?
What portable stuff are you geting?

Its a good sign theres no noise with iems.
How well does this work with other HP then HD800S you think?

Hi well I am listening to music while I drive. Yes lol weird. I am a truck driver and I listen all day long. And with hd800s and hdv I though it would work out k but too much noise and cant fully enjoy them unfortunately and I dont have time to listen when I am not driving.

So I decided to go 100% portable.
I bought empire ears phantom. Now looking at cayin n8 dap. For now atm I got dx200 with amp4s.

Life is like that we try and we sell we always buys new toys...
Absolutely nothing wrong with my sennheiser ultimate combo gear it would be a super cool deal in my opinion for some one who would love to have this.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #92 of 163
Just got my HDV 820 with furutech power cable and mercury 3.0 usb cable from @Vitaly2017 . Initial impressions running it in balanced mode into my HD800S... WOW. A big step up from the Burson conductor SL 9018 in SE. Keep in mind I already compared my Burson to a moon neo 430 HAD (although it was via my laptop with basic usb cables... but the moon neo 430HAD had a AQ Carbon usb cable on it) and struggled to find moon neo 430 HAD better by 5%. The HDV 820 is easily 20% better than my burson.

Expanded sound stage, more details a more layer holographic sound. The Burson sounds flat compared to the HDV. Obviously its not a totally fair comparison since its SE vs balanced, maybe a better usb cable (AQ Cinnamon on burson) and better power cable... but still the whole rig is impressive.

Briefly tried my Auteur and it sounds great too.... but I think the 800S might clearly be better now with this amp... maybe its just a better pairing? Will write more impressions and might even do a full review later on with my top 3 headphones and the HDV 820.

Thanks @Vitaly2017 !

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #93 of 163
Just got my HDV 820 with furutech power cable and mercury 3.0 usb cable from @Vitaly2017 . Initial impressions running it in balanced mode into my HD800S... WOW. A big step up from the Burson conductor SL 9018 in SE. Keep in mind I already compared my Burson to a moon neo 430 HAD (although it was via my laptop with basic usb cables... but the moon neo 430HAD had a AQ Carbon usb cable on it) and struggled to find moon neo 430 HAD better by 5%. The HDV 820 is easily 20% better than my burson.

Expanded sound stage, more details a more layer holographic sound. The Burson sounds flat compared to the HDV. Obviously its not a totally fair comparison since its SE vs balanced, maybe a better usb cable (AQ Cinnamon on burson) and better power cable... but still the whole rig is impressive.

Briefly tried my Auteur and it sounds great too.... but I think the 800S might clearly be better now with this amp... maybe its just a better pairing? Will write more impressions and might even do a full review later on with my top 3 headphones and the HDV 820.

Thanks @Vitaly2017 !

I am so glad you like it :)
Hdv is an amazing dac amp and with the right cable you further more open hes potential. Now its pretty much on the max off hes potential!
You can of course experiment in future by adding a dac if it suites you. But nothing gona beat the amp ability of the hdv!

I always found hdv to pair best with hd800 series even the new hd820 to.
Hdv has all the qualitys to compliment the hd800 headphone.

I am so glad you like it... To sad for me but I had to make that hard decision unfortunately. Life is always changing and brings us new opportunities :)

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #94 of 163
It seems like im making similar gains in all my ZMF headphones with the HDV 820. The soundstage is expanded everything is more detailed. Its quite clearly noticeable. The Burson is still a solid amp+dac but it cant compete with this HDV rig.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #95 of 163
I am so glad you like it :)
Hdv is an amazing dac amp and with the right cable you further more open hes potential. Now its pretty much on the max off hes potential!
You can of course experiment in future by adding a dac if it suites you. But nothing gona beat the amp ability of the hdv!

I always found hdv to pair best with hd800 series even the new hd820 to.
Hdv has all the qualitys to compliment the hd800 headphone.

I am so glad you like it... To sad for me but I had to make that hard decision unfortunately. Life is always changing and brings us new opportunities :)

I'm sure you will be happy once you get your mobile rig going and you hear the amazing sound quality on the road! :D

And of course you can always come back to desktop world in the future... I'm sure you can build an even better chain and be even more satisfied. Heh.

Ya I think I might go for Yggy2, hugo2, qutest or MAYBEEEE depending on future reviews LKS MH 004. Hard to imagine things sounding better than this honestly.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #96 of 163
I'm sure you will be happy once you get your mobile rig going and you hear the amazing sound quality on the road! :D

And of course you can always come back to desktop world in the future... I'm sure you can build an even better chain and be even more satisfied. Heh.

Ya I think I might go for Yggy2, hugo2, qutest or MAYBEEEE depending on future reviews LKS MH 004. Hard to imagine things sounding better than this honestly.

Haha you are in the sennheiser haven you got all the top notch gear now. You just missing my wireworld nano eclipse to accomplish the final touch hihi

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #97 of 163
Something unexpected happened with the HDV820 in balanced mode. My gaming audio got way better. Sounds were more detailed, punchy and visceral and the staging was hugely enhanced! I could pinpoint sounds and directions of objects making noise in the game much more easily than when I was using 800S + Burson. Gears of war 4 was super impressive sounding detailed but still punchy and heavy at the same time!

I never expected my gaming audio to get so much better!

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #98 of 163
Has anyone compare hdv 820 with sony ta-zh1es??

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #99 of 163
Has anyone compare hdv 820 with sony ta-zh1es??

Have a look at the Master 9 and HE 9 from audio gd also. Something tells me they are simply better for the money. At least from talking to a lot of people about all the amps in question.

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #100 of 163
Ytd I went down to audit the Sony TA, to my surprise it’s quite netural and it didn’t bring any warm to my HD800S

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #101 of 163
Ytd I went down to audit the Sony TA, to my surprise it’s quite netural and it didn’t bring any warm to my HD800S

Aw thats no good. Did you hear the HDV yet ?

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #102 of 163
Not yet. Actually i contacted the store and they said they had both amps at this particularly branch. So i went down the person said "OH! I think they made a mistake it's actually at another branch.. *roll eyes*

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #103 of 163
Not yet. Actually i contacted the store and they said they had both amps at this particularly branch. So i went down the person said "OH! I think they made a mistake it's actually at another branch.. *roll eyes*
facepalm

please post your impressions once you do hear it :D

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #104 of 163
Want to say female vocals with the HDV and HD800S are fantastic... Rene Olstead seems to be right next to you through this rig... you can just imagine her lips parting right next to you as her sweet pure voice emanates forward. Its so real. Switching to the Atticus you get a romanticised version of it with an amazing warmth and bass presence while although not quite as detailed and crystal clear is just as satisfying in a different way. Kind of like a crystal clear HD picture vs a bokeh depth of field artist photoshopped picture.

Sep 7, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #105 of 163
Want to say female vocals with the HDV and HD800S are fantastic... Rene Olstead seems to be right next to you through this rig... you can just imagine her lips parting right next to you as her sweet pure voice emanates forward. Its so real. Switching to the Atticus you get a romanticised version of it with an amazing warmth and bass presence while although not quite as detailed and crystal clear is just as satisfying in a different way. Kind of like a crystal clear HD picture vs a bokeh depth of field artist photoshopped picture.
Atticus is a warm headphone that is not that bright?

So you would say HDV820 does well with warm headphones to? As HDV820 is considered a warm amp by itself.

I see you have HD650 like me, which is a warm HP. You havent tried HD650 yet with HDV820?
I dident listen my self to that pairing when i had HDV 820 for my short time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back