Sennheiser HD820
Jul 21, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #3,151 of 4,357
A bit about me: my ear canals are a bit narrower than the average, so I’m actually a bit extra sensitive to certain high treble frequencies that resonate within my canal.

How did you figure this out about your ear canals? I’ve been wondering about something like this with my own hearing, because I prefer a more “British” laid-back sound. Speakers that are too flat above like 8k seem like they are piercing my brain. The sibilance-ranges in particular can drive me nuts if too elevated.

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #3,153 of 4,357
How did you figure this out about your ear canals? I’ve been wondering about something like this with my own hearing, because I prefer a more “British” laid-back sound. Speakers that are too flat above like 8k seem like they are piercing my brain. The sibilance-ranges in particular can drive me nuts if too elevated.
Wish I could tell you something brilliant involving my CIEM impressions and measurements etc... but honestly, I knew before that because with universal IEMs I always use the smallest or second smallest tips (Etymotic is a weird exception... I can wear all their sizes). I can’t even wear Audeze iSine at all.

Then, about a year and a half ago, I was talking to an audio engineer (now the director of Consumer Product Development at Etymotic! Shout out to Tal Kocen!), and he taught me that tubes and rooms in general have a resonant frequency. It’s very similar to how you can hum a low pitched note in an enclosed shower, and eventually find the pitch that makes the whole space reverberate, though the smaller the space the smaller the wavelength and higher pitch of the resonance.

Of course, our inner ear shape is not the only influence on how we hear, so we shouldn’t focus on one tree and miss the forest, but it’s always interesting to learn possible explanations for our experiences and experiments. I’m no engineer myself, but I’m fascinated by science and I’m constantly learning more!

P.S. I’ve mentioned this before, but here’s another interesting experiment you can try with the HD 820 specifically. Obviously the shape of our outer ears will make a significant difference, but I enjoyed trying different spots for the HD 820 to rest around my ear. For example, if I shift the earcups forward and down, so my ear is in the top-back corner of the earcup, the HD 820 gains a lot more sub bass (and maybe some pleasing distortion?)! I admit I didn’t keep trying a bunch of other positions, because I was quite addicted to that placement, haha!

Does anyone else here have a similar experience? Post a comment!

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #3,154 of 4,357
For me there is really only one position,. I need max size of headstrap for hd820 to fit

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #3,155 of 4,357
So does anyone own both HD820 and HD800S?

Curious how the two compare in treble.

Reason I ask, I see some "reviews" stating that the HD820 is less bright, but on the FR graphs the high end looks pretty similar to the HD800S. And, I definitely would not want a headphone more bright than the HD820 - the HD800 I found so bright that it was unlistenable.

I guess it could be that you don't have to turn up the HD820 as loud to get the bass response, which in turn would result in less fatigue from overly loud treble?

Otherwise I am curious if this "less bright" impression is perceptual or just someone who hasn't really put a lot of time into a comparison or wasnt using familiar HPA.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #3,156 of 4,357
Just from listening at the Sennheiser store, the 820 was far more pleasant and not as bright. I have the 800 SDR which is very similar to the 800S in terms of treble, though still brighter than it, but far brighter than the 820.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #3,157 of 4,357
Just from listening at the Sennheiser store, the 820 was far more pleasant and not as bright. I have the 800 SDR which is very similar to the 800S in terms of treble, though still brighter than it, but far brighter than the 820.

Yeah I heard the HD800S quite a bit at the sennhesier store but only owned the HD800 and HD820. I actually liked the HD800 better than the HD800S at the store - they sounded pretty similar but the HD800 sounded more impressive to me... but...

The HD800 I really liked the soundstage but I couldn't listen to it for more than 30 minutes without severe fatigue due to the brightness (never got to demo for that long in a single clip at the sennheiser store when test driving). And then, I had no desire to listen to it for the rest of the day, it was pretty bad and didn't matter what amp i used it with - just various shades of way too bright.

The top end of the HD820 looks like the HD800S in overall shape, but I assume it is because the bottom end&mids are more boosted in relation to the top end that you can get more overall SPL for the majority of the curve at lower volumes in the HD820 - which would thus reduce the SPL of the high frequencies in the HD820 in relation to the HD800S.

In any case, the HD820 is about as bright as I can handle and sounds just about right for my ear - just glad they came out with a headphone from the HD8xx line that works for me. Oddly the HD700 which I heard many people complain about being bright I find no problem with, either. The HD800, while extremely impressive sounding at first, I could not live with.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #3,158 of 4,357
Yeah I heard the HD800S quite a bit at the sennhesier store but only owned the HD800 and HD820. I actually liked the HD800 better than the HD800S at the store - they sounded pretty similar but the HD800 sounded more impressive to me... but...

The HD800 I really liked the soundstage but I couldn't listen to it for more than 30 minutes without severe fatigue due to the brightness (never got to demo for that long in a single clip at the sennheiser store when test driving). And then, I had no desire to listen to it for the rest of the day, it was pretty bad and didn't matter what amp i used it with - just various shades of way too bright.

The top end of the HD820 looks like the HD800S in overall shape, but I assume it is because the bottom end&mids are more boosted in relation to the top end that you can get more overall SPL for the majority of the curve at lower volumes in the HD820 - which would thus reduce the SPL of the high frequencies in the HD820 in relation to the HD800S.

In any case, the HD820 is about as bright as I can handle and sounds just about right for my ear - just glad they came out with a headphone from the HD8xx line that works for me. Oddly the HD700 which I heard many people complain about being bright I find no problem with, either. The HD800, while extremely impressive sounding at first, I could not live with.
I have all 3, but somewhat because the 700 just fit better and are ultimately more comfortable for me I like them as much or more than the 800. I'd sell the 800 before I'd sell the 700 although to some it's heresy to prefer the 700 to the 800 and the 820 to the 800S but that's me.

Jul 23, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #3,159 of 4,357
I have all 3, but somewhat because the 700 just fit better and are ultimately more comfortable for me I like them as much or more than the 800. I'd sell the 800 before I'd sell the 700 although to some it's heresy to prefer the 700 to the 800 and the 820 to the 800S but that's me.

Haha you sound like you are on the same page as me.

The hd700/hd820 is my preferred combo of the 4. The hd800s might be an interesting 3rd addition but would seem a lot of money just for a slightly different sound that is actually less ideal for me than the hd820 - new amp would probably be more worthwhile. Can't really get rid of HD700 since it works in places hd8xx does not like off my lgv40 hpa/DAC for instance and is actually portable unlike hd8xx.

So yeah, hd820+hd700 is my go-to

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #3,160 of 4,357
How do you like the bottlehead crack? I'm thinking to pair it with Beyerdynamic T1 once I get it.
I am currently running DX7 Pro + Hifiman 4xx.
Later planning to add T1 + Crack + speedball to call it a day.

Apologies, was out of town for a bit there, so far I really like it, I've had it before I think, or one with a very similar build that I put together years ago and then had to sell, can't compare the sound after so long, but seems to have a good pairing with the hd 820 (the previous amp I had paired with an early hd800). Currently listening to Beethovens 9th Symphony, the 1962 Karajan performance, and just as stirring as the first time, its one of those special recordings that I could never grow tired of. I have a pair of russian tubes in there now (had a good collection of 6sn7 type tubes and 6as7 type tubes left over) and very smooth. I am the type that, while I can hear differences between different tubes, I do not find them as sweeping as many do and I tend to enjoy most of them. I will have to build or buy an adapter to use 12AU7 type tubes again, but I do not own many of them, so would not be able to compare those until I have done so.

I have heard the T1, and while I do not have a pair with me to compare, I remember it being stellar for orchestral, probably be a really good pairing. I've yet to listen to other genre's of music with the hd 820/bhc pairing, orchestral/chamber is always my starting point for new pieces of equipment, and always a great comfort for me. I'm sure I will eventually...

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #3,161 of 4,357
I had the HD800S and HD820 at the same time and sold the HD800S. The HD820 has a little more lower-bass and a little less lower-mids. The rest sounds about the same. The HD820 has a little better isolation but has a very slight closed-back sound to it. The pads on the HD820 are more comfortable for me and I like the aesthetics of the cups better. I'd say the HD800S is slightly better sounding overall, but the isolation and design made the HD820 preferable for me. What's really nice about the HD820 is that it retains most of the HD800S' sound stage, which is probably the widest in the world for a closed back headphone. I don't get the love/hate relationship with the HD820. I've seen people saying they prefer the ATH-M50 and the HD600 to them. I have no idea why. Could be a fit issue?

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #3,164 of 4,357
The fit thing might be possible with people with smaller oval heads maybe. The band looks like it would fit round heads best

I have a large round head, basically need to use every Sennheiser larger headphone at max sizing. For some reason hd25 fits a couple clicks down from max

Hd820 even with headband at max size isnt loose on my head and sits steady in one spot, and sounds best of hd8xx series to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back